• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Prince Edward Island

briana

Coming from Massachusetts is there anything to see on PEI on the way up to Nova Scotia and the Cabot Trail. I heard the bridge is cool, maybe it's worth just driving across the bridge and back. Is it worth touring the Island? By tour i mean ride with a few quick stops for pictures.

Brian

Coming from Massachusetts is there anything to see on PEI on the way up to Nova Scotia and the Cabot Trail. I heard the bridge is cool, maybe it's worth just driving across the bridge and back. Is it worth touring the Island? By tour i mean ride with a few quick stops for pictures.

Brian

The Island is a beautiful place to visit (and llive). Go across the bridge, head up through Kensington as you move along a shoreline north east path over to Brackley Beach area and head south to Charlottetown and then south east down to catch the ferry to Nova Scotia. You can then catch route 4 east or go a bit further for Trans Canada east (or west... depending where you are heading. That's a quick response. So much more than that but visit their Provincial tourism site for some better ideas. - Bob

Yes. It has an interesting and somewhat unique landscape. Also, they have the best craft beer I have ever tasted at the Gahan House Pub and Brewery.

Forget the "Anne of Green Gables" house IMHO. My number one reason for traveling, especially in far off places, is to meet the people and see what makes them unique. I enjoyed PEI.

Pei

I toured PEI in 2008 and loved it..went early september..less crowded...I loved the north cost from North Rustico to the west coast all the way down to West Cape (?)....the roads are good and the locals drive fast..stay off the red dirt roads..it'll get EVERYWHERE and it's hard to remove.....the bridge is cool but you can't see much because the railings are high for safety reasons.....all the same the island is a nice quiet place to visit.....

have fun

Pei

Great place to enjoy Seafood!

Across from where they filmed Ann of Green Gables.

Attachments

• DSC00752.jpg
    DSC00752.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 120

Brian
Brian,

Plan on spending some time. Rushing through Nova Scotia and Cape Breton, and PEI isn't what is fun.. spending some time there IS.

I've been to PEI via car. I've also done Nova Scotia by car and later by bike, and Cape Breton Island only by bike.

PEI has one spot that I really do love - a B&B/restaurant called "Dalvay by the Sea".. www.dalvaybythesea.com - it's sort of a robber-baron mansion converted to a B&B in the middle of a National Park, complete with a really gourmet restaurant. It's not cheap. It is excellent. Ended up staying two nights instead of the intended one.. Ann of Green Gables - more SWMBO's thing.. We took the ferry from Nova Scotia to PEI, then the bridge back to the mainland (and headed back home via Quebec City..)

For more info on Nova Scotia and Cape Breton - I just finished posting some photos from last July on Facebook.. if you have questions, feel free to ask:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=319629&id=773539714&l=41523b0cb1

The entire area is really one of the great places to ride. You are made to feel very welcome there, and the courtesy shown for bikes by the car drivers is simply outstanding. It came as real culture shock returning to the US after 10 days riding in Canada.

When riding the bike on the bridge, you will have no trouble seeing over the bridge walls unlike in a car. Entrance to the island is free, by either bridge or ferry. The joke is that you are not allowed to leave the island without paying a fee for either the bridge or the ferry. Enjoy the trip. Do ride the nearby Gaspe area. It is a jewel to ride; both the roads and the scenery. :ca

Coming from Massachusetts is there anything to see on PEI on the way up to Nova Scotia and the Cabot Trail.

How much time have you got? My guess is that you haven't got nearly enough time for NS and PEI should prolly be a few days in itself. Boston is 600 miles from Amherst, NS, a good solid day of highway riding, a day and a half or two days on secondary and tertiary roads.

Tom is dead on here. We see lots of folks who think it's a 'simple tour' around our little piece of earth..... wrong. If you're coming then plan some time.... if not then you will only be left with an impression (usually determined by the weather that you experience ). Wonderful people here who are most often very welcoming and honest..... how refreshing is that in today's world?? Maybe you'd consider the Salty Fog Riders Rally in the first week of September. Where else can you get a guided tour for so little $$$?? Guess you gotta figure what it really is that you want to get out of your tour and how much time do you have? - Bob

Just starting to think about it. I really don't have any definite plans but in the winter here it's nice to start thinking ahead and planning trips. Probably go in early Sept. Maybe it would be best to break NS up into a couple trips. I could probably do 2 or 3 nights in PEI from Boston and have a good trip. 1 day up 2 days on the Island and one day home. To be honest i wouldn't have extra days to explore day long events. Most of my time would be spent riding. I hope to find good roads with great views, maybe some good food and interesting places i can stop for a quick picture or two.

Brian

Just starting to think about it. I really don't have any definite plans but in the winter here it's nice to start thinking ahead and planning trips. Probably go in early Sept. Maybe it would be best to break NS up into a couple trips.

At least two trips and the longer the better. Four days is NOT gonna cut it. Nova Scotia is HUGE. Spend that kind of time Downeast or in VT. I've been to NS twice from Boston and it covered 8 days the first time and 6 the second -- I've only seen about a tenth of what I want to see on the ground I've already covered, and just considering the highlights! I could easily spend a month there.

Since you're planning on September, listen to Bob and think seriously about the Salty Fog Rally. He and Mary do a very fine job putting this together and it's in my plans again for this year.

Do a search here for past Salty Fog picture threads.

PEI and Nova Scotia

I took 10 days a few years ago and did both, I spent 5 days camping on Cape Breton Island in Cape Breton Highlands National Park and then started back accross Nova Scotia and got on the ferry to PEI (free), I spent another 4 days on PEI and had a lovely time. The people are very warm and friendly and the main roads are nice. There are lots of nice places to camp in provencial campgrounds rather inexpensively. If you have any ideas about camping in Cavendish at the PEI National Park, make sure you make reservations in advance, I couldn't get in because of all the people staying there during the summer. It's really close to "Ann of Green Gables" so it will be busy most of the time. I wish I could have gotten in, I've heard it's beautiful. I stayed at a nice provencial campground on the ocean called "Cedar Dunes" for a couple of days that was quite nice. It's not far from the Confederation Bridge (not free) which I went over on the way home. It was a grey, windy day threatening rain when I went accross so it was it a little hairy. Magnificent structure though, and you can see over the rails and see the ocean.
Good luck with your trip and be wise and plan ahead. Don:thumb

We rode to Meat Cove and camped. We spent 6 nights in N.S. and love every mile and minute of it. We were going to PEI but decided on Halifax and camping on the Bay of Fundy. We had the time of our lives and can not wait to ride it again.
I would suggest you do Cape Breton and PEI then in the future ride Cape Breton and the rest of Nova Scotia. Then in the future future ride Cape Breton and Newfoundland (Our 2012 ride) The people are to nice and the food is just to good to rush and two or three trips are better than one.
peace

We rode to Meat Cove and camped. We spent 6 nights in N.S. and love every mile and minute of it. We were going to PEI but decided on Halifax and camping on the Bay of Fundy. We had the time of our lives and can not wait to ride it again.
I would suggest you do Cape Breton and PEI then in the future ride Cape Breton and the rest of Nova Scotia. Then in the future future ride Cape Breton and Newfoundland (Our 2012 ride) The people are to nice and the food is just to good to rush and two or three trips are better than one.
peace

Good points. Meat Cove is a 'must do' little adventure. PEI, Cape and NFLD if you can. Second choice on that run would be PEI and the Cape only. I suggest, on the second option, that you head to the Cape (follow our Salty Fog path on that side of the Causeway and then take the boat to PEI upon your return whereby you take the bridge back over to New Brunswick. The peninsula part is the bulk of 'the mainland' and really does take a number of days to tour on its own. Ferry in Digby to Saint John, NB is a decent option. Anyway, lots to see on the peninsula (the Halifax, Peggys Cove, Lunenburg, Yarmouth, Digby, Annapolis Valley side). Maybe Mary and I should think about tours on the peninsula :dunno - Bob

well we have the barn, camping and facilities in Halifax already :scratch Maybe a proposal to the Department of Tourism might make it a feasible idea..... Ha, I could develop a whole new career while Mary continues to perfect her art and build her new art studio.

Anyway, that's really a side discussion, PEI is really a wonderful destination in itself. Slow the ride down and it is amazing what you and your camera will discover on 'the island'. - Bob

Back