Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: pull behind trailer

Another vote for Bushtec

I wound up purchasing a used Bushtec Roadmaster last year. I can't compare it with other brands, but the quality is excellent. The Bushtec hitch is very well designed, with none of the loose push-pull I've experienced towing trailers with a car. I used the trailer riding 2-up with my son to Redmond last summer. It was great having an ice cooler with cold drinks and food. Here is a picture of my son in Colorado.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Scott

1995 R1100R (RIP); 1999 R1100RTP (sold); 2005 R1150R Rockster

Moondog
    Is there a hitch that fits the K1100RS, 1996. I am thinking of a trailer also.

3. 03-17-2011, 06:56 AM

Know your weight!

Towing is a great time and all my time doing it was fine. JUST know how much that trailer, all loaded is weighing back there. Its real important to know how to load it too. Too much weight towards the back will be the "tail wagging the dog" syndrom. Make your distances accordingly, giving yourself lots of stopping room in emergencies. You will get a good feel for the rig, after a few miles and good stops. The latest tech is brakes on trailers for bikes!!! I saw two near Chicago about 3 years ago, behind Gold Wings. These were heavier camper trailers, forgot the name brand, but American made around Chicago is all I got from the conversation. Randy

Talking

Don't waste your money on other trailers and get the best!
    I must agree with Darryl.............I only purchased my used Bushtec last fall, but was able to use it on a few short trips. I had to keep looking in the rearview mirrors because I couldn't feel it behind the bike. Bushtec also fabricated a made to order hitch for my bike since there were none on the shelves. The model of the
    trailer I purchased is no longer made but the quality of a rig over eight years old is still there. Like new condition. The trailer was purchased in order to bring along more creature comforts when we go camping, we tent it, towing most of our gear instead of loading down the bike only made sense.

2000 R1100RT
    Niagara BMW Riders #298

BMWMCO #45

6. 03-18-2011, 08:28 AM

7. 03-20-2011, 07:23 AM

2 wheel trailer

I have never understood why a one wheel trailer would be better. With one wheel you have more weight leaning into the turns. With a two wheel trailer, the weight is nuetral, the trailer is just being pulled and stopped, not leaned. If more weight leaning was better, wouldn't race bikes be adding weight instead of shedding it?

In 02 I purchased a Neosho Starlight 19 with the intentions of later buying a used Bushtec. I like the Neosho enough that I am no longer looking for a Bushtec. Although the Bushtec is shown to be less bounce, I don't see that as a problem. When I first started pulling the Neosho, I thought that it did not bounce as I could not feel anything. On a trip to Maine, we had a bunch of bananas on top of the food box. Apparently the trailer did bounce as the bananas needed to be eaten with a spoon. A bump on the outside does cause a bruise on the inside. So now we just pack the bananas a little lower in the trailer. I still don't feel anything when it bounces.

Our trailer is only 3/4" wider then the bags on the bike so no wories when pulling into gas pumps. The tires are standard 8" trailer tires available at any Walmart nationwide (I still carry a spare). I didn't opt for the carpeted interior so packing a wet tent is not a problem. We only pack the trailer about 2/3 full and th4en when we stop all our riding gear goes into the trailer, out of sight and kept dry.

I have pulled it about 30K miles with our airhead and another 18k with our oilhead. Both bikes handled better with the trailer then when they were overloaded with camping gear and 2 up. Although the trailer adds weight, I can pull it across a parking lot fully loaded with one hand. I can not carry a 1/4th of the stuff in it with both hands. Happy trailering.

9. 03-20-2011, 06:13 PM

Some fine looking rigs here for sure ....

2000 R1100RT
    Niagara BMW Riders #298

BMWMCO #45