• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Riding F650GS After a Stroke

cweaver61

Chuck Weaver
I currently ride a 1993 R100GSPD which is a bit tall for me. However in 2008 and 2009 I did both the TDF (Ushuaia) and Prudhoe Bay rides on this great airhead. But, in March I suffered a stroke which left me weak on the left side and with a significantly impaired left arm.

I am still riding but cannot mount or dismount the GSPD without help. I am planning a trip to Panama in the spring and wonder if a 2011 F650GS might be the right bike for this 68 y/o slightly handicapped rider. By the way, I have only a 30 inch inseam and am pondering the regulat suspension with a low seat. Advice or suggestions? NO! It is not time for either a trike or a scooter.

I have a F650GS, and love it... I have ridden for 16 hours in the saddle with no problem, but i can tell you that many people complain about the seat. I have no problem with, wouldn't change it. I seem to be in the minority with that opinion. You should be able to flat foot it.

Keep riding

I had an older model 650GS (don't know how diff. from new ones). I have a 30 " inseam and had no problems with the bike with a stock saddle. To me the saddle really was OK.

Take a look at the Rekluse clutch, this can eliminate the left clutch lever requirement. These units are highly regarded by many. www.rekluse.com

I'm challenged with use of the rear brake pedal and plan on installing a Rekluse on my KLR650. The clutch allows moving the rear brake up to the left bar position.

Bokrijder

Chuck,

I have a 93 GSPD and my wife has a new 2011 F650GS. Since we bought the 650 this winter I have not had a chance to ride it, but I can say that when sitting on it the 650 is lower and has a more compact balanced feel. Her's is a standard height bike. It may only be an illusion due to how narrow the 650 seems when seated on it. The stock seat tends to force the rider forward into a trough; I've not heard of many people who care for the stocker. If you replace the seat it will often result in a wider, more comfortable seat, but the increased width has the affect of making the seat seem higher.

There is no substitute for testing the 650, ideally with the exact seat you plan to use.

It's inspiring to hear about someone continuing to ride in the face of adversity. Keep on keeping on.

Last edited:
Hi Chuck,

I am 5"2" tall with a 29 inch inseam. I ride an '09 F650GS twin with standard suspension and low seat. I took my electric carving knife to the seat and trimmed off the annoying wings along the front of the seat because I didn't like the way the ridges felt along my inner thighs.

Bottom line is you should be able to almost flat foot this bike with the low seat. I can dependably get the balls of my feet down. I think the seat is dreadful, reminds me of sitting on a 2 x 6 after a couple of hours, but an Alaska butt pad helps. I picked up a corbin seat for this bike, but it makes it a bit taller.

Good luck!

+1 for the F650GS. I bought my this last spring. I got the lowered supension so I can flat foot it all the time. Put just over 12k miles on it this summer, I like wide, flat firm seats so got the Sargent Enduro seat. I've done something over 1000miles on dirt roads, most of it in northern quebec. Not quite as good in real dirt and gravel as my old KLR but fine just the same. It is a great touring bike for back roads and dirt roads. Did 3 back to back 600 mile days on the super slab coming home. 60 to 85 not a problem but the gas milage drops for the low 60s to about 50.

No need to go back to the R1200 or the big K bikes for me.

It is a pleasure to move an under 500lb bike around on flat feet. No more care where i part the bike....i can back it out easily

Take a look at the Rekluse clutch, this can eliminate the left clutch lever requirement. These units are highly regarded by many. www.rekluse.com

I'm challenged with use of the rear brake pedal and plan on installing a Rekluse on my KLR650. The clutch allows moving the rear brake up to the left bar position.

Bokrijder

I just wish they made one for the F658gs as it is geared so high with standard sprockets.
2009 F650gs Roy

Greetings
A stroke is the worst thing I have ever been through. Keep working on the left side it will get stronger.
May your trip safe.
Tony

newbie stupid question but this device allows you to shift without use of the clutch or it shifts for you? thanks for clarifying ...

Back