• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

fuel tank refill ?

maxscycle

2011 F650GS
Just bought the bike.
Have ran 3 tanks for fuel through it.
Every tank I waited until the low light came on.
But it only took 2.6 and 2.7 gallons to "fill it".
Is this normal?
Thanks
Max

2011 F650GS
Just bought the bike.
Is this normal?
Thanks
Max

I don't know if it is normal, which depends on how the light is set to come on. But, if that were my bike I'd strap a gallon of gas on the bike and go for a ride. I do this every time I get a new (to me) bike. I note mileage when the light comes on, and mileage when it starts to sputter. I then have a decent measure of how much the tank really holds, what my mileage is, how many miles are available after the light coves on, and how many miles I can get from a tank.

I also pay attention every time the light goes on. This is a good gauge of whether or not I am getting expected fuel mileage (or less, or more) on that tank of gas.

With a little math, fuel consumption, gallons available, etc I pretty well know what I can count on with a bit of a margin for error.

Last edited:
You can look in your owners manual but i believe that the light comes on when you have a gallon of fuel left.

Ok... pulled out my MOM... the reserve light comes on when you have 1.1 gallons left... the tank only holds 4.2 gallons... so i don't think you are to far off...

i have a F650GS, and my rule of thumb is to fill up at 150 miles, i use one of the trip odometers just for fuel.

hope this helps

Peter in OKC,OK

Let the service writer know what's happening when you take it in for the 600 mile service. Apparently, a number of BMW models have "inaccurate" low fuel indicators. I have heard that this can be corrected by recalibrating the in-tank fuel level sensor (if the early light is a nuisance). Personally, I make a mental note of my bike's max range and monitor estimated fuel remaining with the trip odometer. I try to refill when I'm at 80% of the max. YMMV. Scott

Ok... pulled out my MOM... the reserve light comes on when you have 1.1 gallons left... the tank only holds 4.2 gallons... so i don't think you are to far off...

i have a F650GS, and my rule of thumb is to fill up at 150 miles, i use one of the trip odometers just for fuel.

hope this helps

Peter in OKC,OK

+1 I also look for gas when I have approx. 150 miles on a tank. The idiot lights are just that. I would rather not have to wonder if I'm going to have enough gas if I decide to take the long way home.

2011 F650GS
Just bought the bike.
Is this normal?
Thanks
Max

When mine comes on, I take about 3,5 to 3.6 to fill up. Miles left to go is about 40 miles.

It could also be that you aren't filling the tank when you gas up. Do you stop when the pump shutoff cuts in?

I top off the tank with a trickle of fuel after the pump shuts off. I can always get a few more litres (best part of a US gallon) into the tank at that point, filling until the fuel is part way up the filler neck.

When the remaining miles to empty estimate is on my F800GS display, I pay attention. It has repeatedly said I have about 5-10 miles left to empty. I have put in 4.1 gallons in a 4.2 gallon tank. Once it inexplicably took 4.3 gallons! I too always dribble in as much as I can and fill it so the gasoline is about 1-2 inches to the top of the filler neck.

Just bought my 2009 f650gs

Please use caution if you plan on running the bike till it is empty. Your fuel pump uses the fuel as a lubricant so running till is empty may cause damage.

As an heating & air conditioning guy I know that a pump that is running dry gets hot very quickly.

Safe riding :thumb

It could also be that you aren't filling the tank when you gas up. Do you stop when the pump shutoff cuts in?

I top off the tank with a trickle of fuel after the pump shuts off. I can always get a few more litres (best part of a US gallon) into the tank at that point, filling until the fuel is part way up the filler neck.

Overfueling the tank may be the cause of tanks cracking. No room for expansion after warming up to ambient temp. or heat up in warmer temp. I leave an inch or two just in case my theory is correct.

Jack

Overfueling the tank may be the cause of tanks cracking. No room for expansion after warming up to ambient temp. or heat up in warmer temp. I leave an inch or two just in case my theory is correct.

Jack

There's plenty of room for expansion. It just comes out the vent hose onto the ground on the bikes from outside the US market. On US bikes it runs into the overflow charcoal canister, which other countries don't have. The only way that should be a problem is if the vent hose is plugged. If it is plugged, there would be a vacuum created in the tank when underway, so it would be evident in a hurry.

The cracked tanks was a QC issue, which BMW acknowledged by replacing tanks under warranty regardless of the national market.

On USA bikes, if liquid gasoline gets into the charcoal canister it can cause clumping and deterioration of the charcoal. This in turn can lead to the canister becoming plugged up which in turn can lead to a stalling condition.

IMHO I'd avoid topping up too high unless it's a special circumstance - if I were going to ride off immediately on the next leg of my journey and it was 225 miles to the next gas station I'd probably top way up :laugh

Seriously, the owner's manual says to fill to the bottom of the red "dip tube" (they call it something else ... I forget what) with the bike on the side stand.
I'd go with that recommendation.

There's plenty of room for expansion. It just comes out the vent hose onto the ground on the bikes from outside the US market. On US bikes it runs into the overflow charcoal canister, which other countries don't have. The only way that should be a problem is if the vent hose is plugged. If it is plugged, there would be a vacuum created in the tank when underway, so it would be evident in a hurry.

The cracked tanks was a QC issue, which BMW acknowledged by replacing tanks under warranty regardless of the national market.

I am on my second tank which has cracked also. Have not had the third one installed yet hoping they will find a more permanent fix and a fourth will not have to be installed.

Not sure anyone including BMW knows why this is happening.

I am on my fifth fuel strip (12000 miles) on my RT and they are trying to blame it on ethanol. Low and behold they are having the same problems with RT's in other countrys that do not put ethanol in their fuel.

Jack

Please use caution if you plan on running the bike till it is empty. Your fuel pump uses the fuel as a lubricant so running till is empty may cause damage.

As an heating & air conditioning guy I know that a pump that is running dry gets hot very quickly.

Safe riding :thumb
Great advice. It (running tanks low on fuel) drove Chrysler crazy on their mini-vans. :thumb

Back