• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hooking up in the dark!

beeryboats

Now get your mind out of the gutter. I have a long driveway and will wait to get the morning paper at the street before hooking up the autocom and heated gear. Yesterday it was so dark I couldn't see what connector went to what and couldn't line up the helmet connector at all. So I had the great idea to put a white stripe on both sides of the autocom connectors and paint the glove connectors white all the way around. That should make things a little easier. If it's above 15 degrees, I'll try it tomorrow!
Jay

Now get your mind out of the gutter. I have a long driveway and will wait to get the morning paper at the street before hooking up the autocom and heated gear. Yesterday it was so dark I couldn't see what connector went to what and couldn't line up the helmet connector at all. So I had the great idea to put a white stripe on both sides of the autocom connectors and paint the glove connectors white all the way around. That should make things a little easier. If it's above 15 degrees, I'll try it tomorrow!
Jay

No, the paint is supposed to be yellow.

Jay

Can we put our minds back in the gutter now.:love

match up

"...I had the great idea to put a white stripe on both sides of the autocm connectors and paint the glove connectors white all the way around..."
If you do this on the autocm cord, be sure the paint adheres to SAE standard 13.303.16.208a/1.1 bis 1.9 - otherwise the rubber could deteriorate and you could potentially expose the wire in the autocom cord, causing cross talk and possibly end up violating FCC regulations pertaining to electronic interference. This is a known design flaw in the Autocm products, which has been addressed on this forum multiple times.

Oh wait - you said Autocom, not Autocm. Sorry, my bad. Carry on.

"Red on right returning" is the mnemonic for oncoming vessels - so for you red on your left. Now if I could remember which ear ring means what I would feel better! :)

... the mnemonic for oncoming vessels ...

OJeeez, I sure hope not...!!!
icon_eek.gif
it's the mnemonic to remember to take RED ATONS (aids to navigation) aka:BOUYS (or lights) on your RIGHT as you RETURN to a harbor from seaward. Not oncoming vessels.

If you were to take an oncoming vessel on with her RIGHT (red) light on your right, you would be lining up on the center of his vessel. If both her red and green lights were on your right you would pass.

The exception is navigating UP rivers from seaward. International marine convention dictates that the "sides" of a river are designated with regard to the direction of flow of the river. The "left" bank of the Mississippi is the Illinois side. i.e., the "left" bank (which is marked by RED ATONS) is the EAST side, your right.

6_6_1-G.gif

The last time I took one on my /5 it didn't turn out as expected...
icon_wink.gif

Monty

"...The exception is navigating UP rivers from seaward..."
If you're so darned smart, what is the unladen air speed of a European Swallow?

"...The exception is navigating UP rivers from seaward..."
If you're so darned smart, what is the unladen air speed of a European Swallow?

And can one carry a coconut? And who can remember what movie that's from? And admit it?

You guys are completely hopeless. I post what I thougt was a great idea and all you can do is make fun of it!

It's Rum Right Returning!!!! GET IT RIGHT!:clap:clap:clap

You guys are completely hopeless. I post what I thougt was a great idea and all you can do is make fun of it!

It's Rum Right Returning!!!! GET IT RIGHT!:clap:clap:clap

It was a good idea - yes!

Ane those other guys of us are hopeless, yes!

I was just being helpful, courteous, kind, cheerful, obedient, clean and reverent.
(I think that's how it went 55 years ago when I learned that)

I thought it was a good idea.

My Autocom connectors have ridges that I use to line them up when I can't see them. The only issue is that the ridges are too small to feel with heavy gloves on.

Back