• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Augusta GA. info needed

samthg

Heading to The Masters golf tourney in April-I've never been to your area. I'm scheduled to stay in Greenwood, SC and commute over to the course for Monday's practice round.
I'm trying to stick with HI Express and was wondering if this would be the 'best' place to stay. Can't afford the $500 to stay in Augusta.
Would ATL, Lexington, Newberry, or Columbia be better as far as an early morning commute to the course?
Also, i'll have one open day on each side of the tournament to do something! Any suggestions? Looking at the map, as was eyeballing the Barbor Motorcycle Museum.
(I also posted over on Adv Rider)
Thank you,
Sam

Look in Washington, GA. there is a Jameson Inn there.... but it may be booked.

on edit: the downtown Washington area is historic, and there are several other places there. I usually ride around the Washington bypass, so I've not checked them out.

Everything is way high in the area around the Masters.

ian

Last edited:
I live in Lexington, SC, which is the closest by comparison to Newberry, Greenwood or Columbia. There is Ramada Inn at Exit 55 off I 20, right by the Interstate with several gas stations in walking distance and the following Eateries in walking distance: McDonalds, Waffle House, Wendy's, Maurice's B-BQ. It will be about 55 miles on I 20 to Augusta (so about 45 mins) riding time. There is also a Best Western Hotel in down town Lexington, with a number of things in walking distance. That is a brand new Hotel (just finished maybe a year go) Downtown Lexington is about 1 to 2 miles off the Interstate...

Let me know if I can help in any other way...

What are you looking to do on the "bookend" days? If you are looking to ride, you could stay in Athens, GA (nice college town) and would be 3 or so hours from the "dragon" or just enjoy the roads in N. Georgia or NW South Carolina. Enjoy!

Visian, Boxerkuh, beemervol-
Thanks for info so far. Unfortunately, the wife and I will be in the rental car. The bookends will be for just sight seeing-I just want to roam around the country side and look at America's wonderful South! AND EAT:dance.

But just to confuse myself some more, I'm really looking at the Barber Museum. Tournament on Monday, then head back west toward Barber Monday eve. See the bikes on Tuesday, fly home Wed. DOABLE????:scratch

Time is really short for us on this trip, with the wifey in a masters program-but thats just the way it'll be this time.

Thanks again...

But just to confuse myself some more, I'm really looking at the Barber Museum. Tournament on Monday, then head back west toward Barber Monday eve. See the bikes on Tuesday, fly home Wed. DOABLE????:scratch

guessing you're flying in/out of ATL?

There is a 2-ish hour ride on each side of the airport... 300 mile between Augusta and Birmingham.

That should be doable.

Remember that Alabama is in the Central time zone, so you will lose an hour when you head to the airport from Birmingham.

guessing you're flying in/out of ATL?

There is a 2-ish hour ride on each side of the airport... 300 mile between Augusta and Birmingham.

That should be doable.

Remember that Alabama is in the Central time zone, so you will lose an hour when you head to the airport from Birmingham.

Yep, i/o of ATL.

Good point about the time change:thumb

Thanks

Back