• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What if your SO doesn't share your passion?

Talk about passions....

... she got her lake house for the sandy beaches of Lake Michigan and I got my second bike (1985 R80RT) to help fill the garage at the lake house. :dance I'm not much of a beach person, especially if I can ride the shoreline roads.

Jer

Dear Thread,

I have read this thread with great interest and envy.

What if your passions preclude your spouse participating?

I am an introvert. I love solo riding and solo sailing. A day group ride for me involves meeting in the morning for coffee and breakfast and agreeing where we will meet for the evening meal then not seeing anyone until then. A group day of sailing is a race of solo racers and I may tack away from the body of the fleet just because. My ex was a rock climber, a very good one. I don't deal well with heights. This is one of the reasons she is my ex even though we loved each other. We grew apart it seems.

Introverts regain their social energy by being alone. I enjoy being out in public and have had jobs with a great deal of public contact.

Sincerly,

Solo Rider in Fly-Over-Land

Well...

...If I could find a hack with air conditioning (allergies, hot flashes), sat radio, storage for the Nook and knitting, beverage dispenser, custom built seat with adjustable lumbar support, and sun shades...maybe...just maybe...she would ride.
In the meantime, I enjoy my afternoon rides.
She is talking about a Honda Ruckus for herself as a start.
This, Voni, is progress!:laugh:clap
Say hi to Paul for me,
Howard

...If I could find a hack with air conditioning (allergies, hot flashes), sat radio, storage for the Nook and knitting, beverage dispenser, custom built seat with adjustable lumbar support, and sun shades...maybe...just maybe...she would ride.

This one is close...saw it when we were in Wisconsin for the National...it had a knitting project sitting on the seat I recall!
:thumb

Attachments

• DSC00041.jpg
    DSC00041.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 210
Like many others, my wife and I have different passions. I love travel and motorcycling, camping and meeting new people. Tamara likes her little flock of Icelandic Sheep, producing the wool she uses for knitting. She has no interest in going anywhere. I attempted to coax her into joining me by getting a sidecar; the plan was she would either call it her own or knit in the hack. Didn't work out.

So now she stays home and follows her passion, while my faithful companion and I travel to meet new folks and try new things in far away places.

CoolDog2.jpg

Like many others, my wife and I have different passions. I love travel and motorcycling, camping and meeting new people. Tamara likes her little flock of Icelandic Sheep, producing the wool she uses for knitting. She has no interest in going anywhere. I attempted to coax her into joining me by getting a sidecar; the plan was she would either call it her own or knit in the hack. Didn't work out.

So now she stays home and follows her passion, while my faithful companion and I travel to meet new folks and try new things in far away places.

CoolDog2.jpg

Hey glenfiddich,

Any more pictures of your side car?We used to have dogs, that are now passed on,and we always felt bad leaving them home! We plan to get another pooch eventualy and I was thinking of a side car like yours! Where did you get it?

Thanks!, Art.

Art,

I don't want to hijack this thread. If you go to ADVRider.com you'll see several of my postings in the Hack sub-forum on the reasons behind my going with Hannigan, as well as how I trained Barley for long distance travel. This one is probably the most informative: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602632

Now back to the regularly scheduled topic. :)

Pete

Last edited:
My wife of 27 years, while she does occasionally enjoy riding with me on multi-day trips, has her own passion, horses. Since she cannot get the time off that is available to me, I will solo for the part of the trip that is getting there and she will fly out to join me for the part of the trip that is riding while 'there'. We have a '99 LT with the passenger floorboards and she is comfortable on that. She does not enjoy riding pillion on any of the other bikes without the floorboards, even if I have added a topcase with a backrest. I think it is likely being able to slide her feet around and not have her legs sort of locked in position on pegs that makes the difference on long rides, as her knees tend to get sore if she is in one position too long. While on vacation, we have sometimes found a place where she can go horseback on a rented horse while I tour the countryside. In the winter when snow and ice cover the ground, we both miss our own type of riding.

:banghead I appolagise for going off track here guys!

For me the girlfriend thinks I spend too much time on or talking about the bike! So I go biking even more!!!:rofl She likes being on the bike but not her favorite thing to do.This summer,I'm doing my first long trip, and she's coming with me.This will tell us how much she does like it! Hope it never gets to the point that I have to choose between her or the bike, I might miss her!!!:laugh

Art.

Step one was to buy Diann a bike, a 1983 Honda XL600R.

Step two was paying for a rider training course.

We have been riding together since, or on separate trips.

We both enjoy riding alone, or meeting other people at the end of the day.

We also have other hobbies which are shared, and some which aren't.

I have to admit that I cannot imagine sharing riding, as it's such a large part of me.

As someone else said, the trick is to be passionate about something...........Rod.

I've read a lot of posts from men about their S.O. But I'm curious to see how many women had an ex like mine where he hated the fact that I rode. Of course I would love to see how many women have great spouse - like Sara's - who say go ahead and go.

I Keep finding non riders in the dating pool so I'm keeping my feet dry for the summer.
:nyah

Sharon

The Pretty Wife

Okay. I arrived home from work last night, tired and stressed form the rat race! Pretty Wife was busy packing a picnic dinner. Her plan was for us to take a ride through the spring countryside and end up at a local State Park for dinner. Great idea and much needed escape for my soul.

I strapped the soft-side cooler onto the rack of my 2005 R1200GS and she threw her leg over her 2002 Buell M2 Cyclone. Off we went. I asked her to lead, which is a bit unusual, as she would prefer I do the heavy lifting; route planning, etc.

She afterwards expressed a new appreciation of my being in the lead... a couple of missed turns and I was asked to lead us back on the route to the State Park. All in good fun, even the missed turns.

I asked her to lead because it was her idea and I found out that when she rides alone, she has trouble keeping the "Dragonfly" under the posted limit... this old man has obviously been holding her back.

So it was a rather spirited run on some beautiful country roads. The whole experience was a great delight for me. I’ve watched this lady go from MSF BRC to competent rider over the past year. It tickled me to see her out in front and riding with such ease and grace. Don’t get me wrong, she has led our little two-bike group before. However, the combination of a surprise picnic dinner, a nice ride after work, and observing her mastery of this sport will stay in my memory for a long time.

Len

Last edited:
I've read a lot of posts from men about their S.O. But I'm curious to see how many women had an ex like mine where he hated the fact that I rode. Of course I would love to see how many women have great spouse - like Sara's - who say go ahead and go.

I Keep finding non riders in the dating pool so I'm keeping my feet dry for the summer.
:nyah

Sharon

I bought my 2004 R1150RT in December from a lady who was with a new guy that didn't ride. She must have said "I really miss my Harley" eight times while I was there buying the RT. The BMW was her Ex's. He had offered to learn to ride on the RT, but that's not the greatest bike to learn on.

Well my SO does ride but is fairly new to the sport (5yrs) as opposed to me. I started riding when I was about 19 and took off some 15yrs then started again at age 49 or so. Her idea of a ride is to go out for an afternoon and maybe grab a bite to eat on the way then head home.

Me, well I think I have a few trips in me that I would like to do. I am retired and she is not so I have the luxury of time too. I do have a few other friends I can ride with.

In my younger years I did two week long trips, one to Toronto and another to Cape Cod. Life was much simpler then and I was more adventurous. I am trying to recapture that adventurous spirit once again and not let fear creep into my thoughts as I think about planning some trips and rides this summer.

It's amazing how life flies by and suddenly I realize how much I have insulated myself from the world and what it has to offer. I am trying to change my outlook and renew my faith in humanity and the kindness of strangers....wish me luck!

It's amazing how life flies by and suddenly I realize how much I have insulated myself from the world and what it has to offer. I am trying to change my outlook and renew my faith in humanity and the kindness of strangers....wish me luck!

You can ride anywhere you wish. I found out common sense and natural instincts allows me to ride to places I never thought possible. It's all in the attitude. Give yourself permission to do it. You don't need luck but I'll wish you best of luck anyway. :thumb

Okay. I arrived home from work last night, tired and stressed form the rat race! Pretty Wife was busy packing a picnic dinner. Her plan was for us to take a ride through the spring countryside and end up at a local State Park for dinner. Great idea and much needed escape for my soul.

I strapped the soft-side cooler onto the rack of my 2005 R1200GS and she threw her leg over her 2002 Buell M2 Cyclone. Off we went. I asked her to lead, which is a bit unusual, as she would prefer I do the heavy lifting; route planning, etc.

She afterwards expressed a new appreciation of my being in the lead... a couple of missed turns and I was asked to lead us back on the route to the State Park. All in good fun, even the missed turns.

I asked her to lead because it was her idea and I found out that when she rides alone, she has trouble keeping the "Dragonfly" under the posted limit... this old man has obviously been holding her back.

So it was a rather spirited run on some beautiful country roads. The whole experience was a great delight for me. IÔÇÖve watched this lady go from MSF BRC to competent rider over the past year. It tickled me to see her out in front and riding with such ease and grace. DonÔÇÖt get me wrong, she has led our little two-bike group before. However, the combination of a surprise picnic dinner, a nice ride after work, and observing her mastery of this sport will stay in my memory for a long time.

Len

Very nice story. Thanks for sharing.

I and two friends used to ride motorcycles when younger. Our wives are not the least bit interested in motorcycles and think them dangerous. As is to be expected, the men talked about motorcycles now and then and the wives knew that deep down they missed riding. At a party about four years ago we discovered that each wife had been encouraging her husband to get a motorcycle and ride again. There are now three happy re-entry riders of mature years riding once again.

Thank you SO.

Back