Thread: In need of basic gear.

Hybrid View

Sanibel Island, FL, Boothbay Harbor, ME. Portsmouth, NH

In need of basic gear.

New to MOA and in the process of making travel plans to pick up a '04/GS. Its been 25 years since I last rode and then it was police model Harleys, so I've been out of the loop for a very long time. This also will be my first BMW. Right now I'm just looking for enough gear (borrowed or used so I can ride it back (1000 miles). The bigger question is the permanent basic gear I should purchased model/style that will get me off on the right foot and yet not totally break the bank. I'm clueless at this point, though I know I'll eventually get up to speed, it's just there seems to be so much out there. Regards to helmet, I'll be taking a X large, some models must be more fit friendly for this size I would imagine, just don't which ones they are. Also basic outer gear. Open to suggestions and vendors. Thanks so much.

Well, you've got a bunch of catching up to do! You might start by just browsing through this section of the forum. There are innumerable threads on all of these topics. The days of a bomber jacket and Levi's are over.

Probably the fastest way for you to get an idea of what's out there and what will work for you is to visit a motorcycle accessories store, if there's one near where you are. For example, there's a chain called Cycle Gear. Or, find a big motorcycle dealership that has a lot of stock.

Different helmet makers make different shaped helmet interiors. Sometimes they are different even among models of the same maker. Whatever you get should be comfortable and fit very snugly (because it will break in and loosen up some). Even if it seems to fit at first, it's worth test wearing it for a while to see if you feel any pressure points.

Also, are you sure that getting on a tall GS is the right first move after a 25 year layoff from riding a low seat Harley? You will no doubt be amazed with the performance, handling and braking, but you're also talking about going up 6 inches or more in seat height. Handling such a tall (albeit lighter) bike will be very different, even just pushing around the garage.

Consider taking an MSF class to get your skills going again. People find that they are "rusty" after a winter's layoff, so don't become a statistic. If you need to get your endorsement again, you can take the beginner course, in which they supply small bikes. You might find it tedious at first, as they train complete novices about clutching and shifting, but the exercises in that, or the experienced rider course where you bring your own bike, will be very good to get you back up to speed.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Suggest that you visit Newenough.com and subscrbe to their emails. They are clearing a lot of gear and have great customer service.
    2007 R1200GS

Take the MSF course.... you will learn a lot about gear... and get to reacquaint yourself with the basic skills...

Since you rode HD motors previously, the "muscle memory" will return quickly and you will have a great time in a controlled environment.

In Texas, the MSF course completion, if successful, allows you to waive the "riding" portion of licensing exam.

Welcome back to the wind!

Smile

rcliffor and cathdeac (previous two posts) must be caprenters, because they both hit nails square on the head for your situation.

Visit New Enough.com . They are not brand-exclusive, so you'll have lots of choices and the prices usually can't be beat (and don't let the title fool you - yes, everything is brand new).

An introductory MSF course (the Basic Riders Course) would be well worth the time and $$$ invested, not only to educate you about gear, but also to refresh your riding skills.

Good luck, and see you down the road!
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle & High Performance Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    I would also suggest checking out local clubs for the camaraderie and information/advice available there.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep