• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Who will be the GS Giant?

So You Wanna Be a Giant?

So you wanna be a Giant?

Then you need to earn points. And I'm giving you, YES, YOU!, the opportunity to earn points right now!

For those who do not know, I am the official scorekeeper of the GS Giant. As such, I have the ability to dole out BS points. What are BS points, you ask? Just what you think they are! :brow So, here is the first official chance to start racking them up.

Get a head start on earning points by signing up or logging in to Face Book and become a friend of the GS Giant. Post your name and where you're from on Facebook to automatically earn 2 points. Why is FaceBook important? Because it's the largest social media network on the planet (unverified) and we will use this to communicate shout-out challenges throughout the course of the event.

Yeah...now you're thinking...it's just 2 points. But 2 points could mean the difference between winning a motorcycle and gear, or not. So, go there now and tell us why you should be the next GS Giant!

Just where?

Is Murienville a meeting place to begin all this, July17? Whats the July10 date for starting? Guess i should go read more:). I think(guessing) July10 is a point opening date for all us anywhere in the USA starting our rides? I've really need to read more, so forgive me, if I have yet found the proper GS site. I'm looking:) Randy:scratch:usa

Is Murienville a meeting place to begin all this, July17? Whats the July10 date for starting? Guess i should go read more:). I think(guessing) July10 is a point opening date for all us anywhere in the USA starting our rides? I've really need to read more, so forgive me, if I have yet found the proper GS site. I'm looking:) Randy:scratch:usa

It's Marienville, PA.

Yes, you have it right.... July 10 is when you can start scoring points by riding adventure detours as you head to the rally.

Here is the article on-line that was in the May edition of the BMW ON.

All the info will be in your scorebook that you receive when you register for the event.

psst: you owe me an adventure ride description through Arkansas!

Here ya go Ian:)

Oark, Arkansas and the oldest continuosly open market/grill in the state, since the Civil War, wow:) I can give only directions, no GPS coordinates, so sorry:(. I rode this two years ago and find it great Americana indeed, with some dirt byways added:). My directiuon is West to East and North from Oark..Ozark National forest; From Fayetteville,Ark., State Hwy16 approx 30miles to the Hwy23 South cutoff towards Cass,Ark..Steep twisty terrain paved roads here with 15mph curves and did I say steep ridgerunner stuff:). At Cass, a left turn on the only road out of Cass to Oark, Ark. and a wonderful single lane paved route mostly under a tree canopy covered byway, with river alongside. Reminded me of the movie "Deliverance", just like it and maybe where they filmed it? A single gas pump at the Oark General Store is regular gas and the oldest market as mentioned above in Arkansas since the Civil War days. A grill cook will cook you up and fair Ozark treat in short order and a great relax, front porch style hillbilly event indeed, is upon your senses including friendly dog:). Was mine and I grew up in this kind of place in Virginia. Well, from Oark, you have choices, mostly dirt and I rode the Northbound exit(no route #, just dirt), only one out of town by the firetruck garage and rode North to Hwy16 again. Right onto hwy16 and onward to Hwy7, just past Deer,Arkanasas. The little burb names in these woods are quite simple and Ozark like:). The mountains are a photo op around every ridge and creek. So much beauty in one region I had always wanted to explore and did:). The only dirt section I rode was the Oark exit to Hwy16 and it was approx a 15 mile easy ride and rain would make it much more interesting, but still moderate to easy. I continued on to Mountain Home,Ark and beyond for a great days riding I had anticipated. So many more options exit in and around the Ozark National Forest and I had indeed found a great route through there, with some locals help. This is my best effort to my journey through there, Ian and if you can use it, please do. Randy PS;Exits 35 thru 47 off of the Interstate 40 will put you Northwards to Oark in short order also, so those traveling the big roads can take an easy detour for a couple hours into some great Americana. Happy Trails, Randy

Info, Scorebook

Well I got all signed up for the Gypsy Tour a couple of weeks ago:clap. Looking forward to some time off, great riding, and meeting some new friends. Time to start going through the camping gear check list. Is there an info pack that will be sent out, i.e scorebook ect, or will more detailed info be on the forum?

Roy

H iRoy,
We are still working on the score book as well as some final details. Please also register on our Facebook page. Both the forum and FB will be updated as needed.

I am IN too:)

Just did all my registering for the PA Rally, GS Gypsy Tour, etc from way far out here in Cal., so looking forward again to some great miles ahead very soon now. Scorebook? Whats next? I'm a Facebook rookie, so how's all that work:(. Guess I had better get aquainted, or do I have to? See ya'll soon enough, I'm sure:) Randy"Polarbear"

Is there an info pack that will be sent out, i.e scorebook ect, or will more detailed info be on the forum?

Roy - to add to what Newstar says above, approximately two weeks before the rally, we'll be emailing you a scorebook that you can print out locally. It will contain a list of all the Adventure Detours, Stop-ins and GS BS point opportunities, and will provide links to GPS route files that you can download. Folks that are GPS challenged can use the links to Google Maps. If you're Google Map challenged, well, hopefully you score big on the track if you're shooting to win the bike.

Be sure to "like" the Giant on Facebook for last-minute details.

Ian

I'll try:)

No GPS for me, as I take my biking seriouis, away from the high tech end:), by choice. Pilot, Coastal sailor has given me enough GPS in life, all good and requiured, but I take my biking simple by choice:). Guess its my Airhead roots:) and thats funny, becasue my Airhead has a GPS. Can't win here. So far, my GSA is high tech free:). I love my maps. I'll find my way:). Randy PS; winning a bike, I'm a non likely candiadate, but IN the match:) Thanks Visian/Newstar and others for the hard work, TT too for stepping UP with a F800, so cool...How could one ever beat that? .RBear:thumb:dance

Randy, I'm offering as much info as possible for those who choose to earn points the old school way. I think you can manage!

ride research continues....

DSC01440.JPG

Deer Lodge, MT

If you're riding to the rally from the PNW, you might be slabbing on I-90.

Take a break and get out into beautiful and remote country... see if you can find Kit Carson, and score some GS BS points for eating the best burger ever at Matt's Diner.

<iframe src="http://ridewithgps.com/routes/479986/embed" height="500px" width="100%" frameborder="0"></iframe>

The "hard" ride....

this is actually the relatively easy part of the hard ride... we'll be riding some coal country that requires special permission.

Thank you to Chris Prosick of Hermy's BMW...

The ride will be Friday, July 22, leaving the rally site at 8am-ish.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AeYFn_Bmrnc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

suiting up for the GS gypsy tour

out to riding up in adironidecks, ny hit a muddy patch. no repairs needed awesome .

Attachments

• IMG_0216.jpg
    IMG_0216.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 115
scorebooks

Scorebooks will be out approximately two weeks prior to the rally.

Don't want to give away too much info before the start date!

Back