• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Who will be the GS Giant?

For those who asked (or over-analyzed)

RULES CLARIFICATION

You can do up to 10 stops on the Stop-InÔÇÖs list of places across the country. OR you can do up to 20 stops from the PA BS list.

So itÔÇÖs one list or the other, but not both.

Scoring Note

When completing your stops, detours, etc. please make clear and concise notes in your scorebook which will later be reviewed by a scorekeeper. Also, please try to organize (and preferrably name) your photos on an SD card, disc, or some other readable device. Occasional interesting photos of your travels and accomplishments may be posted on Facebook and the forum but will not count towards your score with the exception of fulfilling specific requests.

Repost of Schedule, just so's it's not buried in the tread....

Here is the schedule of GS Giant Events, hopefully we pull of everything!!!

Here is a complete Schedule of Events. Note that some overlap, since everyone won't be interested in doing everything:

SUNDAY, JULY 10 - SATURDAY, JULY 23

Ride Adventure detours and do Stop-ins during your ride to the rally.
Take day rides around the rally.

SUNDAY, JULY 17 - TUESDAY, JULY 19

The GS Gypsy Tour starts in Marienville, PA and ends in Stillwater, PA

MONDAY, JULY 18 - THURSDAY, JULY 21

MSF Dirt Bike Training at the Dirt Farm (# of days depends on demand, we'll cancel the early days if they don't)

WEDNESDAY, JULY 20

9:00 AM ÔÇô 3:00 PM
Warmup at the Family Farm
Depart from Rally Site (or Gypsy Tour) to Off Site Location

9:00 AM ÔÇô 5:00 PM
Rider Performance University (RPU): MSF Dirt Bike Training at the Dirt Farm
Rally Grounds Parking Lot

8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
AltRider's 2nd Annual Giant Loop Adventure Ride
Depart from AltRider booth

THURSDAY, JULY 21

9:00 & 11:00 AM, 1:00, 3:00 and 5:00 PM (every 2 hours)
RPU: BMW Performance Center Training Demos
GS Giant Track (Race Track)

RPU : MSF Dirt Bike Training at the Dirt Farm

Day Ride downloads and route sheets - visit the GS Giant area

Evening: Ride-in movies - Race Track infield

FRIDAY, JULY 22

8:00 AM ÔÇô 3:00 PM
BMW Performance Center Adventure Ride
Depart from GS Giant Track (Race Track)

8:00 AM ÔÇô 5:00 PM
RPU: The BMW Offroad Academy by RawHyde
Departs from RawHyde Designated Area

9:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Tech Inspection for GS Giant Competition
GS Giant Track (Race Track infield)

3:00 PM ÔÇô 6:00 PM
GS Giant Competition

SATURDAY, JULY 23

8:00 AM
GS Tech Inspection Opens for Open Track
Outside of GS Giant Track

The BMW Offroad Academy by RawHyde

Open Track Riding

There is nothing free, riders have to get down and dirty. ;)
Best wishes to Patrick and thank you Twisted Throttle in supporting him and us. Patrick is another Canadian. :ca

Now, Twisted Throttle is kind enough to find a replacement so they are sending a German Trainee that some how ended up in their luggage from Garmisch. He is coming to the BMW MOA rally to learn English since our members are so PC on the forum, what better place to be embraced by such a nice family..........I hope our French speakers do not confuse him. :german

And I heard a rumor, whoever wins the GS Giant event(s) has to Chair the GS Giant in Missouri ........ the show me state. :whistle

Its been an adventure..........and thank you for being part of it.

Christopher Dawe
a.k.a. Herr An'al
GS Co-Chair and Local Resource Chair

Wow! Best wishes to Patrick also.

I will only teach him the nice words I promise.:laugh

Ok if you insist and, if I win.

Thank you!

It is going to be a great time for sure.

Routes to Bloomsburg and Marienville

DSC01521.JPG

Giants and Gypsies:

Here are some less-paved routes that were prepared for approaches to (1) the Rally site from Thurmont MD, and (2) to Marienville from Thurmont MD, Conowingo MD, Valley Forge PA and Green Spring WV, that didn't make it into print. They are in .gdb format, using Mapsource 6.16.3 and City Navigator NA NT maps 2012.1. I guarantee they'll be fun, with water crossings and plenty of off-pavement in the mountains.

Whether you're going to Bloomsburg or Marienville, or both, use part of these routes to catch more BS Points while digging around in Pennsylvania's forests.

Also check out the adventure tours in your scorebook, which has more approach routes to the Rally site and the Gypsy Tour site.

Fred

Attachments

• 2011 GS GypsyTour Routes FINAL edited.gdb
    711.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Pa four corners completed

The roads where fun. Here are some photos and trip log from my Spot Adventure pages.
<h2><a href="http://www.spotadventures.com/trip/view?trip_id=265183">GS Giant four corners run</a></h2> <object width="400" height="300" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/swflash.cab"><param name="movie" value="http://www.spotadventures.com/swf/spot/widget.swf"/><param name="FlashVars" value="units=english&mode=1&key=ABQIAAAAo2DXVdg4aCTpANH9-rZLZBQc1cmDkVDuu24mH3cz6NMnkWfnQRTE9-38lo3U1aGK6bV89gulZy_Mhg&tripId=265183&startLat=39.74896&startLon=-76.07019&mapType=Map&"><embed src="http://www.spotadventures.com/swf/spot/widget.swf" quality="high" width="400" height="300" FlashVars="units=english&mode=1&key=ABQIAAAAo2DXVdg4aCTpANH9-rZLZBQc1cmDkVDuu24mH3cz6NMnkWfnQRTE9-38lo3U1aGK6bV89gulZy_Mhg&tripId=265183&startLat=39.74896&startLon=-76.07019&mapType=Map&" play="true" quality="high" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed></object><br/><a href="http://www.spotadventures.com" >Share your Adventures with SpotAdventures</a>

Alaine,

I like the Spot Adventures and the way it nicely organized the pics! Thanks!

I've scored your 4-corners ride. See me on the Gypsy Tour to get your scorebook stamped.

That Spot thing is pretty sweet! I've got the North and South west done. Will have to wait till the rally to get the eastern points. The south was way better than the north in my opinion. A lot more gravel and dirt to ride.

The roads where fun. Here are some photos and trip log from my Spot Adventure pages.
<h2><a href="http://www.spotadventures.com/trip/view?trip_id=265183">GS Giant four corners run</a></h2> <object width="400" height="300" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/swflash.cab"><param name="movie" value="http://www.spotadventures.com/swf/spot/widget.swf"/><param name="FlashVars" value="units=english&mode=1&key=ABQIAAAAo2DXVdg4aCTpANH9-rZLZBQc1cmDkVDuu24mH3cz6NMnkWfnQRTE9-38lo3U1aGK6bV89gulZy_Mhg&tripId=265183&startLat=39.74896&startLon=-76.07019&mapType=Map&"><embed src="http://www.spotadventures.com/swf/spot/widget.swf" quality="high" width="400" height="300" FlashVars="units=english&mode=1&key=ABQIAAAAo2DXVdg4aCTpANH9-rZLZBQc1cmDkVDuu24mH3cz6NMnkWfnQRTE9-38lo3U1aGK6bV89gulZy_Mhg&tripId=265183&startLat=39.74896&startLon=-76.07019&mapType=Map&" play="true" quality="high" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed></object><br/><a href="http://www.spotadventures.com" >Share your Adventures with SpotAdventures</a>

now wait just a minute... is that Interstate highways I see on this route? :rolleyes

Certainly there is *something* to cause loss of GS BS points for that total lameness... <shuffles the rulebook... sees no rule against this>

Mistress Scorekeeper, quick, make up a new rule! :ha

:thumb on the cool Spot show.

Ian

Getting a R80 this weekend

I'm going to pick up an R80ST this weekend in North Carolina. It's only 950 miles away. No big deal, right? As some people will know, the R80ST was built out of the R80GS. The ST has a smaller front wheel and shorter suspension. It seems to me that those things are pretty easily changed. :brow

Perhaps it will morph into something like.......THIS!

BMW-R80-GS-baja85-2-L.jpg

So, I'll be buzzing through Pennsylvania this weekend...twice. If timing has it, I'll be staying overnight at a roadside no-tell-motel in PA on Saturday night before finishing the final leg home to New Hampshire. Maybe I can stop in at Bloomsburg and see what's happening. :groovy I will be taking I-81.

now wait just a minute... is that Interstate highways I see on this route? :rolleyes

Certainly there is *something* to cause loss of GS BS points for that total lameness... <shuffles the rulebook... sees no rule against this>

Mistress Scorekeeper, quick, make up a new rule! :ha

:thumb on the cool Spot show.

Ian

Having ridden Alleppo Road in the truck, I can tell you it's GS worthy! Same with the South East corner. I'll let the 4-corners slide...

what are the guide line for Tech Inspection for GS Giant Competition
GS Giant Track

We will check to see that:

1) you don't look like a dork

2) your bike doesn't look like a dork

3) you have the right gear: helmet, eye protection, gloves, boots and full-length padded clothing.

4) your bike is your bike, but we will advise you to:

- remove your saddlebags
- remove your mirrors
- remove your windscreen and turn signals

now, if you see me out there on my KLR 250 and say that i look like a dork, well, then...... i AM a dork!

Ian

GS Giant Schedule of Events

...for those that can't find their butts with a ten-fingered flashlight.... :ha

Here is a complete Schedule of Events. Note that some overlap, since everyone won't be interested in doing everything:

SUNDAY, JULY 10 - SATURDAY, JULY 23

Ride Adventure detours and do Stop-ins during your ride to the rally.
Take day rides around the rally.

SUNDAY, JULY 17 - TUESDAY, JULY 19

The GS Gypsy Tour starts in Marienville, PA and ends in Stillwater, PA

MONDAY, JULY 18 - THURSDAY, JULY 21

MSF Dirt Bike Training at the Dirt Farm (# of days depends on demand, we'll cancel the early days if they don't)

WEDNESDAY, JULY 20

9:00 AM ÔÇô 3:00 PM
Warmup at the Family Farm
Depart from Rally Site (or Gypsy Tour) to Off Site Location

Rider Performance University (RPU): MSF Dirt Bike Training at the Dirt Farm

8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
AltRider's 2nd Annual Giant Loop Adventure Ride
Depart from AltRider booth

THURSDAY, JULY 21

9:00 & 11:00 AM, 1:00, 3:00 and 5:00 PM (every 2 hours)
RPU: BMW Performance Center Training Demos
GS Giant Track (Race Track)

RPU : MSF Dirt Bike Training at the Dirt Farm

FRIDAY, JULY 22

8:00 AM ÔÇô 3:00 PM
BMW Performance Center Adventure Ride
Depart from GS Giant Track (Race Track)

RPU: The BMW Offroad Academy by RawHyde

9:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Tech Inspection for GS Giant Competition

3:00 PM ÔÇô 6:00 PM
GS Giant Competition

SATURDAY, JULY 23

8:00 AM
GS Tech Inspection Opens for Open Track
Outside of GS Giant Track

The BMW Offroad Academy by RawHyde

Open Track Riding

We will check to see that:

1) you don't look like a dork

2) your bike doesn't look like a dork

3) you have the right gear: helmet, eye protection, gloves, boots and full-length padded clothing.

- remove your saddlebags
- remove your mirrors

now, if you see me out there on my KLR 250 and say that i look like a dork, well, then...... i AM a dork!

Ian

Does extra padding included in one's anatomy pass tech inspection requirements?

Bokrijder

Rene is coming to help the GS Giant(s)

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6N1Tw-Lz0fw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

- remove your saddlebags
- remove your mirrors

Thats easy just go on the Black Dakar ride and the route will break those things off. :brow

Back