• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mesh Cargo Nets

For folks reading this thread who are not familiar with ROK straps, be aware that there are many different sizes and styles. I think most of us here use the "Motorcycle Adjustable" style. They're the ones described above, with loops that go around your frame, luggage rack, or whatever. They come in two lengths. The longer ones are much more versatile, and what most folks use for securing tents/duffels/whatever. The shorter ones, often billed as the "Sports Pack Strap," are smaller and perhaps better suited to smaller/lighter loads, or securing secondary luggage items.

There are many places to purchase them, including vendors at BMW rallies and probably your local dealer. The local hardware or home improvement store might carry some ROK strap products, but probably not the Motorcycle style with the loops on the ends.

Here are some examples from one online vendor:
"Motorcycle Adjustable" heavy duty straps: https://store.mm411.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=1000&ParentCat=231
"Sport Pack Strap" lighter/shorter straps: https://store.mm411.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=1080&ParentCat=177

I keep three pair mounted on my 1150GS, pretty much permanently- two small, and one large. I secure my tent with a pair of the smaller ones, and my chair with the other pair. I then throw on a big Ortlieb "Rack Pack," and put the heavier duty straps over the whole circus. I ride w/a solo saddle, and have a Cargo Rest. With my Jesse bags, this allows me to carry way more gear than I have any rational reason to!:D

Happy packing!

I have Helen2Wheels lid bags in both of my Jesse side cases. One has cold weather gear and the other spare clothes when we are "on the road" for the summer. I have a cargo net too. If I need a little extra space at the grocery store (for example) I will pull one of the lid bags and stow it on top of my top case. Then the groceries go in the Jesse bag. Ditto the day I bought new boots, as far as the post office to ship the old ones home.

And the cargo net is perfect for corn chips. I love corn chips. With salsa and swiss cheese. The swiss cheese I can find a place for. A big bag of corn chips not so readily. So they go from the store to the campground under the net atop my top case.

The thing has its uses but it is for overflow items.

Back