• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Big Agnes Pad for Big Rider?

Theo

Touring Panpsychist
I'm looking for feedback regarding a Big Agnes (or similar) pad that will be comfortable in a tent for a 5'9", 230 lb side-sleeper during nights that are above 30??. None of my camping is done on rocky/rough terrain.

Based on the charts, it looks like the Big Agnes candidates might be the:

- Dual Core
- Insulated Air Core
- Memory Foam

With most pads, I awake with sore hips and shoulders (the widest parts of my body!). Forty-five years/pounds ago, all I needed was a fairly thin Thermarest pad when backpacking. Well, that was then and this is now.

I've tried several cots which do offer relief, but I don't want to cart, setup, and provide the protective floor accommodations needed for a cot.

Anyone of a similar weight/side-sleeping position have a good recommendation for a big rider?

TIA,

I upgraded my 15 year old Thermarest to an REI 1.75" pad earlier this summer. It is nice and does a great job - 5'9" 220lb side sleeper myself. I originally wanted to get the Big Agnes Air Core (2.5") but I didn't want to have to carry a pump or have to blow it up. Than I saw the Big Agnes Pumphouse and that changed everything.

The pumphouse:
rust&blackpumphouse.jpg

It is a drybag, a big air bellows, and a pillow all in one. The top opening has a rigid edge that can be rolled then clipped down like many high-quality, lightweight drybags. It also has a cone/nipple attachment at the bottom that one can secure over an air mattress blow-up valve and by opening the bag, closing the top and squeezing one can completely fill the Air Core full-size pad in under a minute. Lastly, it makes a great pillow.

I got the Pumphouse and the Air Core mattress and enjoyed my first really comfortable sleep in a tent in many years.

Then I got a Big Agnes sleeping bag, the kind with no insulation on the bottom, just a sleeve for inserting the sleeping pad. Another huge win, worked better than advertised. Warm as my regular sleeping bag and pad combo, w-i-d-e so sleeping on my side is a breeze as I can comfortably turn inside the bag, and best of all, no sliding off.

Lastly, the BA pad/bag/Pumphouse combo pad packs down tiny, so much so that not only do both pad and bag fit inside the Pumphouse (now a acting as a stuffsack), all three can fit easily inside my helmet (or inside my 22-liter topcase with lots of room to spare.)

You'll like the Air Core, I would advise adding the Pumphouse - and checking out the sleeping bags as well.

Anyone of a similar weight/side-sleeping position have a good recommendation for a big rider?

I've got 70 pounds on you, little fella. I have a Fat Agnes pad and it works well. I also have a Thermarest NeoAir that packs to about the size of a 32 oz can of tomatoes. Both are comfortable for me, mostly a stomach sleeper, but I spend about half the night on my side.

15 degrees:)

Yep, I camped in February in Texas and the BA setup kept me warm to 15 outside my tent. Inside wasn't much warmer. Not even a coolness, as I stayed warm:). 6' and 250 then and since down to 200:). Randy

Heaven. I've an Exped downmat 9 DLX. downmat means it's filled with down. 9 says it is 9 cm thick when fully inflated. DLX is for the longer/wider version. Because moisture is not good for down the mattress has a built in pump that works OK. My first mattress used the stuff sack as the pump. It sprung a slow leak at the valve and exped replaced the mattress. The valve is completely different on the current version. Simpler and much less likely to fail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=lpa9qNictSs

The video shows a little trick at the end to make sure the pump area is inflated as well as the rest of the mattress.

Age 67,weight 215(neked), bad back,etc..
If I'm carrying the pad=Thermarest tiny backpacker version. If bikes carrying the pad=Wally World/Coleman Queen Inflatable Mattress That takes up the whole floor of my Kelty 2x tent & easily fits in the bottom of my topcase. Blow it up with your bike tire pump. Moisture and cold don't get to you (or your stuff)as easy,soft & cushy @ night and price is low.:thumb

Thanks for the responses. The Exped is an interesting option to the BA. Good to know there are other folks my size who find these comfortable.

Spring, here I come!

Back