Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rechargeable AA batteries and such

I have had the best all around luck with Energizer batteries. When I install them I usually write on them, with a Sharpie, the install date. A new twist that seems to be occurring is, for example, the flashlight going dim. Usually in what seems not enough on time for their use to be over. I have taken to testing each battery by itself and find one of the group has gone bad-less than 3/4 of a volt. I just replace one and I'm good to go. A good way to test them is with the Radio Shack meter #22-813. It's not a real precise meter but for quick all around use I can recommend it. HTH Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Type M for Moderator
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by dhgeyer View Post
    This was mostly because they were one more thing to keep track of when I wasn't using them for a long period.
    It might depend upon how you define "long period". If you are talking about a flashlight that sits in a drawer for years on end then I agree... rechargeable may not be the way to go. On the other hand I don't find it unreasonable to charge a battery that's in occasional use once a year (or after heavy use).

The best "put in the device and forget about them" battery I've found so far are the Energizer Ultimate Lithium. These non chargeable batteries have a shelf life of 15 years or more. The perform well in both the hot and cold. They last a good long time when in use. They are more expensive than other batteries but you can sometimes find them on sale if you look around.

You can't have everything.