• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Member and Camping Q's

Terry, if you should not be in a rush, it is winter after all, you could wait until February 25-27 and take your wife for a weekend getaway in Toronto. You know, take in a live theatre production, visit the revamped AGO and the ROM or maybe even take in a Raptors game. Since you're in town anyway, why not drift over to the annual Toronto Outdoor Adventure Show http://www.biztradeshows.com/trade-events/outdoor-adventure-toronto.html ? There might be deals to be had and lots of equipment setup for you to checkout.

Although I am a MEC member, I've always been disappointed with the number of tents they have on display. As well, you could check out the Bass Pro shop at the 400/407. Cabels across the border also have a lot of good equipment.

Often you will see what you really want, already setup, at a bike rally. There you can talk to the owners about the good and no so good features of their equipment. Hunting for the perfect equipment is half the fun. The half is using equipment that is a good match for you. Good hunting!

All

All this info is great..and yes I did realize we have a MEC store in town......just impossible to find parking where it's located....nevertheless I will head down there and look into the MEC tents.....Roy..thanks for the links page and I will also check out the cabelas tents...didn't realize there were so many makers available.....I have lots of reading to do.....

tj:ca

I'm not trying to start a rukus

but i would NOT use bungy cords of any kind when strapping your stuff to your bike.... WAAAYYY too many people have had horrific accidents due to those things breaking.

just my two cents....

but i would NOT use bungy cords of any kind when strapping your stuff to your bike.... WAAAYYY too many people have had horrific accidents due to those things breaking.

just my two cents....

+1

Rok Straps have proved to be a very durable solution and they offer a wide range of sizes. That bent wire hook on the end of most bungy cords is a lethal weapon.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money, buy some strong cord and learn how to tie a truckers hitch or similar knot. Low cost solution.

I presently use a Catoma Switchback for a tent. Roomy, easy to set up, with two vestibules. There is plenty of room for my twin air mattress , sundries, etc, and enough height for me to dress (not enough to stand as I'm 6'1"). I use straps and a bungee net for odd shaped objects when not towing a trailer. The use of a trailer allows an old ---t like me to carry just about anything while transferring weight thats high on the mc down to the trailer. The Catoma is a two wall tent so touching the inside wall when its raining causes no problem. I've owned several tents with removable rain flys and have found out the hard way that rain/high winds can loosen them allowing the rain to enter your tent. My solution to this is using zip ties over the clips used to hold some rain flys in place. Rain flys that are tied or staked in place so far have not caused me any trouble. A cheap and effective way to keep warm when using an air mattress in cold weather is to use a mylar "space blanket" between your sleeping bag and the air mattress.
Ride Safe :usa :usa Happy Camping :thumb

hi and welcome!
i'd guess that this is the place for info on M/C camping!
i have a couple things to point out... based more on straight camping experience than actual motorcycle camping... so here goes.

the concept of trying a tent out is a really good one. they can be a PIA to get in and out of, and may vary wildly depending on things such as headroom. if the weather dictates you stay IN the tent to get dressed or get your boots on, you will thank the heavens for a roomy vestibule. i'd stay away from too small a tent, also. having room for gear makes a big difference. i have a two person tent for solo camping and a three person tent for two up outings. for withstanding heavy weather, go for a 4 season tent. of course this is only my opinion. the reason i say this is that on a 4 season tent, the fly goes all the way to the ground. this goes a long way toward being weatherproof. rain dripping off a shorty fly can soak the area just off the ground, which is vulnerable enough on any given day. the lower parts of a tent is where you're likely to take on water in an extended rain situation. some 4 season tents have zippable panels in the ceiling which can give you better ventilation in warmer weather. some 3/4 season tents have permanent panels of mesh in the ceiling...

Marmot is a brand of really well thought-out outdoor gear.
North Face is a brand used by all REALLY SERIOUS expeditionists.

Van-Go is a brand of European tents i have seen- my friends in the UK use them, where it rains A LOT. they have HUGE vestibules- like big enough to be used as a small living space. no kidding, like a third of the length of the tent in some cases. in fact i have even seen guys pull smaller, vintage BSA motorcycles into a Van-Go Vestibule! the downside is that the windows are much smaller, so in hot weather they might not breathe as well as a lighter-made tent.

Sierra Trading Post is a great go-to source for discounted camping gear. if you're like me, you could just wind up with several tents, or definitely two. evaluate your likely needs, considering weather, mainly, and go from there. remember that there is a HUGE difference between comfort and discomfort, but a fine line. DO NOT scrimp on the tent. in my opinion, overkill won't do you harm.... well unless you are a guy to know, down to the gram, what everything WEIGHS. :banghead
not that there's anything wrong with that! ha ha jus' sayin'
is all.

as for sleeping pads, and sleeping bag fills, everyone's opinions and experience will vary. experience is where your comfort will find its own level. i have a self inflating Thermarest -type pad, and love it. downside? it doesn't pack too small.

i also have a couple bags. one is heavy, rated at -20(F). Qualofil. i have used it for winter camping but NOT off the bike. my lighter, summer bag, is rated at like 40, or 35 degrees (F), also synthetic. down WILL NOT keep you warn when it gets wet! a few degrees of warmth could just make the difference between life and death... not that you're that level of an extreme outdoorsman, but at high altitude, for example, after maybe a few days of bad weather... well you just don't know. on a long trip or extended stay in camp, you cannot predict what might happen. better to be prepared than to be caught off guard.

compression sacks will help you get your size down to the minimum on things like sleeping bags, or clothes.

i use dry bags to tote all gear that will make the difference in comfort (or not) in bad weather. SealLine is a good proven brand. i have several sizes, up to a big duffel. all sleeping gear, and maybe a change of clothes, at least, go into the dry bags.

i have BMW *liners* for my panniers so that my clothes are reasonably well protected, the beauty is that you can hand carry the contents of your panniers into your tent (OR ROOM ha ha) with ease!

finally-
sleeping pads, and sleeping bags, are NOT meant to be stored stuffed or packed. unpack them when not in use and hang them up, and you'll get far more life out of them than otherwise.

sorry to be so long winded. :scratch
good luck, and happy trails!
:wave

Van-Go is a brand of European tents i have seen- my friends in the UK use them, where it rains A LOT. they have HUGE vestibules- like big enough to be used as a small living space.:wave

This is one of two reasons that I bought my Wynnster Monaco 4 Tent last fall from the U.K. The the 2 door vestibule is about the same size, maybe slightly bigger, than the sleeping area. Lots of room for my stuff. The other reason is that the tent can be erected in the rain with the fly first and the actual tent can be kept dry. (Of course I really doubt if I'll use this feature. I have taken tents down many times in the rain, but have always opted to skip tenting and gone directly to the closest motel at the end of rainy day rides.) :D

Just thought I would join in the conversation....................
I have been using an REI Campdome 2 tent with a ground cloth, a Northface Chrysallis bag, and a Thermorest, all for about 10 yrs, to many rallies. All I have ever had to do was replace the tent stakes with some that wont bend ( a recomendation for any tent) and Spray some waterproofing spray on the door and rainfly every spring, just in case. Last year I did replace the rainfly pole since the original was duct taped for about 3 yrs. No tent pole will withstand being stepped on!
I will eventually get a Big Agnes matress if my Thermorest ever poops out.
Getting decent camping equipment is worth the expense.
Also remember a small packable chair, I use the cheap five dollar kind that can be thrown out if they break. Most of my friends use a Kermit Chair, but I guess I am a cheapskate!
Have fun!!!!!

I would suggest checking out www.fullthrottlecamping.com
Great gear and a company formed by riders for riders.
Be sure to check out the article on motorcycle camping in the FAQ menu.

No affiliation, other than being a satisfied customer.

Also an advrider.com discount if you're a member of that forum.

Welcome Terry. I too switched from a Thermarest to a Big Agnes and will never go back. It made a world of difference. I use a Eureka tent, which works well. Make sure you get a 2 person one. Even then, check it out carefully.

This one sold as a two-person tent and barely fits my mattress.
366922405_LRBz8-M.jpg

This is the Eureka, a better 2 person size. I can get most of my gear in as well as the mattress.
915591578_c2ryp-M.jpg

You can always check out the MEC in Ottawa for even nicer tents. I ride solo, so fitting it across the passenger seat is no problem.

Holly
Nice tent,I have the same one.This is my 1st tent since I just started "Moto Camping".I was unshure if I would like it so I went chea...um cost sensitive,but I did look 4 a while.Other members in this thread have great suggestions.One being about the fly going to the ground.Another item about flies is if the weather is cold enough they will trap moisture from inside of your tent (body heat) if the tent is primarily mesh.Mesh is great in the summer but with a single layer protecting you in the winter (the fly) it tends to drip moisture back on U .
This tent has 2 zip down panels that gives me ventilation,but the roof is mainly solid except 4 vent flaps.Not a perfect pic but at $50 US its a good start.
PS It turns out after 4 Rallies I love this type of camping.I will soon start looking 4 a mesh tent and use a tarp as shade and rain protection.Happy trails.

Stuff to get!

Well, I think I have more than enough information to get started and complete my search for the perfect (?) tent etc. I'd like to thank everyone for their enthusiasm in answering all my questions and even ones I hadn't thought of yet. Nice to get feedback that isn't hostile or patronizing.......I unrolled my sleeping bag I bought about ten years ago and it had a moldy type odour to it.....wash it twice and it still smells a bit..

QUESTIONS:

Should I get a new one or let it air out ousdie for a few days?....:scratch

Will the smell vanish or is this bag done?...:scratch..

BTW...A Sail store (I found out last week) opened up here in Ottawa..:D....I went and was amazed at what they carried.....

Terry:ca

Terri, hope that you enjoy the camping experience as much as the rest of us do. Being a slow learner, it has taken me six years, five tents and other gear to almost get the equipment just about right. The final "Eureka" moment was on my last camping trip when I abandoned the fitted soft case for the camping pannier and used two clear plastic garbage bags, one for the lid, one for part closet to the wheel, to store the camping gear. Got more packed with space left over.

An inexpensive camping item was given to me by a friend a couple of years ago. You can pick one at MEC for about $20. I carried it camping for about a year before being brave enough to use it, fearful of the consequences, despite my friend's assurance me that it was safe. It is a very small metal/glass lantern with a short, fat candle that burns for about 8 hours. He assured me that if tipped, it automatically self-extinguishes.

Well, after an extremely cold night in Vermont last summer, I broke out the lantern/candle the second night and hung it from a loop from the top of my tent. I had no cold problems that night. Friend claims that it removes the dampness from the tent.

During a whiz break in the middle of the night, I was careful to not touch it. Forgot about it come morning, knocked it with my head. It fell and the candle immediately extinguished, as I had been told it would.

Once you get all your necessary gear together, pack, pack and repack everything. Eliminate what isn't really necessary. Often you won't known what you can live without unless you try your equipment out in the field, preferably a near to home campsite for a weekend. When travelling it has not been unusual for me to be thousands of miles from home and mailing unused items home. Conversely, if you omitted to bring something, just take your debit/credit card to the nearest supplier. I don't do either as frequently now.

When it is down pouring and it is time to stop for the night, the best roof over your head is the closest motel.

April is almost here. :dance:ca

Advice

Paul,

thanks for the tip on the candle..I'll look it up on the MEC site....this is becoming quite a science this camping thing.....I'm getting the pieces together slowly and will attempt the pack and re-pack method.....there's a good list on this site about things one will need to take along....

BTW...I dealt with WOLF BMW for my bikes.....amazing service from Chris and Ian..

Thanks

Terry,
best of luck to you out there! in a world full of choices, may yours be sound and effective...
yet another *angle* on camping, moto-camping, or whatever...
The MSR ParaWing...
i first saw one on this website-
somewhat expensive and heavy, but QUITE nice in nasty weather, OR super sunny mid summer camping.

P1090177.jpg

i like it for various reasons. took me a short while to get it figured out but mine has held up well in some pretty horrendous weather. it comes with stakes for all 4 corners but i like to tie it off to trees or posts on the *low* corners, when it's possible- and raise or lower it according to how hard a wind is blowing.

Camping

You may want to look into a cheap set up for a season or two first! I bought a cheap tent,pad and sleeping bag. All for under $100, I used them for two seasons. On several trips/rallies per year. That way I could figure out if I wanted a larger/smaller tent ect. I walked around the different rallies to look at the different tent and then invested in a good tent/termarest that I liked. Still using the cheap sleeping bag. Besides you may find out that after a trip or two you may not like the tent thing. Some people look at me like I have three heads when they find out that I camp most of the time when I travel on the bike on the trips that I have taken! And I don't use camp grounds very often. Have Fun. I love it!

Attachments

• 100_2842.jpg
    100_2842.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 700
I agree with Blairbear.The 1st tent I purchased was the Eureka pictured earlier in the thread (blue/green).Purchased it last year for my 1st camp rally.It cost me a little over $50 on the internet.I will play-modify it for a year or two,then I will decide if its time to upgrade.$50 I can afford to make a mistake with,but some of these tents costing $200+,well thats an expensive oopseedasee.
Internet has many deals,spend days and weeks looking and at the same time dream of the fun you will have finding and using the equipment that you purchase.

Don't confuse cheap with inexpensive

A cheap Coleman quality tent may not be a good value, but an inexpensive used or discontinued Eureka or Northface at the same price would be.

Good quality tents WILL keep you dry and comfortable even in a downpour (assuming you're properly located the tent). Cheap tents tend to - well to be cheap. This often means minimal ventilation, dodgy zippers, poor seal sealing and fiberglass poles.:violin

Just like my real wilderness camping trips I work really hard to keep the weight on my bike as low as possible so I use the same gear.

I agree the internet provides a lot of good options. This is the motorcycle camping tent I use - http://www.trailspace.com/gear/the-north-face/tadpole-23/ I recently saw a used one on eBay for under $20.

Ahhh this remindes me of a story...

More than a few years ago, i was at an RA rally in WV when an hurricane came through.... you want to talk about distinguishing between the quality tents and the cheap ones!!! ALL of the tents with fiberglass poles ended up flat on the ground. I slept like a baby nice and dry in my Marmot! :thumb

YMMV

A cheap Coleman quality tent may not be a good value, but an inexpensive used or discontinued Eureka or Northface at the same price would be.

Good quality tents WILL keep you dry and comfortable even in a downpour (assuming you're properly located the tent). Cheap tents tend to - well to be cheap. This often means minimal ventilation, dodgy zippers, poor seal sealing and fiberglass poles.:violin

Just like my real wilderness camping trips I work really hard to keep the weight on my bike as low as possible so I use the same gear.

I agree the internet provides a lot of good options. This is the motorcycle camping tent I use - http://www.trailspace.com/gear/the-north-face/tadpole-23/ I recently saw a used one on eBay for under $20.

Academy Sports sells a tent line called 'No Limits'. It is a very high quality line for really good pricing. I bought the Pyramid Peak a 3 person tent that packs on 20" long. It will fit in the hard bags of my Honda ST1100. 4000PU rated fly, aluminum poles, bathtub floor and thick aluminum pegs. Large vestibule. It camr down to this tent and the Eureka Apex and I felt this was the better tent. I paid Less than $100 with sales tax. The 15" rain last May in Tennessee, not a drop leaked. Has withstood 50 mph winds in Colorado.

They have several sizes.

Ralph Sims

Back