Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

Bikes, Guitars, and ... beemokat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimshaw View Post
    Again started reading this well liked book by Melissa Holbrook Pierson. I've met her several times, as she's a personal friend of one of my best motorcycling friends.

I was glad to hear that, last summer, Melissa got back to riding on her new-to-her BMW R1150R.

Word has it, she has a new book about motorcycling coming out this fall, and she may be able to do a seminar at the Bloomsburg rally.

Melissa is a truly wonderful writer, and is, most of all, true to herself. She has an insight, backed by careful consideration, that is singular to her. If you agree with her viewpoint, so be it. If not, so be it.

I really enjoyed that book too; and wrote to tell her so when I saw her name listed on a group on Facebook that I had joined. She sent me a nice reply. Can't ask for more than that!
    Wherever you go, there you are.

facinating read

"Life" by Keith Richards. Why this guy is still alive is beyond me. The song writing part was the best.
    John Shuck BMWMOA Ironbutt #31
    Co-Founder Dir. of Operations Fairfield County Concours
    Sept at the Fairfield County Hunt Club, Westport, CT
    02 GS, R90S's, R51/3

Mark Twain irreverance - a story for our times

Deer Hunting with Jesus: Dispatches from America's Class War by Joe Bageants

criminaldesign
    Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer.

Quick and good read.

Gone For Soldiers by Jeff Shaara. Good read about the Mexican War 1846-1848. Books centers on the exploits of Winfield Scott and Robert E. Lee. Very well writen about a much overlooked part of the history of the USA, Texas and Mexico in the time before the American Civil War.

DashRiprock
    Just reread The Cuckoo's Egg, Clifford Stoll...within 48 hours...same as the first time. It's that kind of book. A true story of computer infiltration and hacking before either was heard of and neither was illegal.

Highly recommended

by me! The collected works of Edna St. Vincent Millay- Her opening poem, Renascence is the most beautiful thing I've ever read.

If one likes adventure, take a look at National Geographic's list of "Top 100 adventure books"

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Tolfan View Post
    lastsix

Sounds like it could be a long wait for that one. Luckily they are making the books into a series that starts next month. HBO I believe.
    Release date has been announced as July 12. Sadly, I'll be on the road when it arrives on my doorstep. Happily, I'll have at least 1 thing to look forward to after my 2 month jaunt on the GS

Currently re-reading Motorcycle Camping Made Easy because... well... just because.

criminaldesign
    last reads. Have a pattern going.

Insomnia: Stephen King. I forced myself to finish this one. It went on and on and on and on.....

Amsterdam: Ian McEwan: Curiously dark humor read

The Shining: Stephen King. Attempted years ago and couldn't get into it. This time over I really dug. Watched the movie afterwards and I may stop doing that. It's a let down. I've seen it a number of times but after 800 pages of a 2 hours movie, it's like Nicholson couldn't wait to kill his family.

The Innocent: Ian mcEwan. Good book. reminded me of the Spy Who Came In from the Cold which was a great book.

The Stand: Stephen King. Good book till the ending. I hate to say it. Kings a humanist and goodness always seems to prevail in his stories. I find a majority of of his books totally reference Tolkien.

Having just finished two very tough Master's Degree courses with Penn State last week, I thought I was pretty much 'read out'. Besides, I really wanted to get out on Hilda and Heidi. But after the winter respite, I knew I needed to brush up on my riding skills. Out came David Hough, Keith Code, Jerry Palladino, and Lee Parks. Also read a great series on Riding Skills at Sport Rider magazine.
    Gear Up and Ride Safe
    Jim Rogers
    2010 R12GSA aka Heidi
    Yorktown, Va

Who is John Galt?
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

^^John Galt? I guess your an Ayn Rand fan?
    Phil W2GE
    2010 R1200RT 2011 Husqvarna TE310 'Woods-Weapon'
    New Sweden BMW Riders
    iPhone5-> Zumo 660->SENA SMH10, Nuvi 500,

The Killer Angels

-tp
    '11 F800R

Idea Man

Paul Allen's memoir, "Idea Man."

criminaldesign
    The Corrections: Jonathan Franzen

This book is so good I decided to read it again. Franzen does such a great job with his characters you could swear the book was written about your family at times.