• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

What are you reading?

The Landmark Arrian: The Campaigns of Alexander
A comprehensive and rich account of the campaigns of Alexander the Great. Nice illistrations, foot notes and one of the best books on the topic. I am not sure however if I will go through the entire work or do parts and read related subjects.

Just finished The Civil War of 1812: American Citizens, British Subjects, Irish Rebels, & Indian Allies by Alan Taylor. It covers the War of 1812 on the Canadian Border and frontier which I have traveled through on my motorcycle. ;)

Unbroken

"Unbroken:: By Laura Hillenbrand
A WWII story about Louie Zamperini.
Riveting!

thanx!

+1 :thumb

Unbroken is the best nonfiction of to come out in years. Zamperini gives definition to the term All American. He is one of the reasons I so admire his generation of citizen soldiers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzjN9cu-TDc

Easy :german

Hey, Easy, thanx for sharing that video too. The whole idea that goofy, half-baked, selfish politicians can make the decision that war is the solution to anything, and then send kids to war, and that those kids would behave with such astounding heroism is beyond my ken. This book and Mr. Zamperini's story is perhaps the most astonishing history I've ever read.

The Tiger : A True Story of Vengeance and Survival
Written by John Vaillant

This takes place in the far eastern part of Russia. The tiger is the Amur tiger, the biggest cat in the world.

Attachments

• Amur tiger profile.jpg
    Amur tiger profile.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 76
Just Kids by Patti Smith. It is a great read about two 20 year olds trying to make it in the arts before they both became world famous.

Attachments

• just kids.jpg
    just kids.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 66
The Next Decade...

41teu9%2B%2Br8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

by George Friedman of Stratfor.

The next ten years will be a time of massive transition. The wars in the Islamic world will be subsiding, and terrorism will become something we learn to live with. China will be encountering its crisis. We will be moving from a time when financial crises dominate the world to a time when labor shortages will begin to dominate. The new century will be taking shape in the next decade.

In The Next Decade, George Friedman offers readers a provocative and endlessly fascinating prognosis for the immediate future. Using Machiavelli’s The Prince as a model, Friedman focuses on the world’s leaders—particularly the American president—and with his trusted geopolitical insight analyzes the complex chess game they will all have to play. The book also asks how to be a good president in a decade of extraordinary challenge, and puts the world’s leaders under a microscope to explain how they will arrive at the decisions they will make—and the consequences these actions will have for us all.

Just published, just started reading. I highly recommend Dr. Friedman's other recent book, The next 100 years.

Friedman has a real talent for talking geopolitics, which is a great way to eliminate political bias from a discussion and focus on the realities.

Ian

I just finished Gunnisons' book/autobiography, "Seventy Years on a Motorcycle" , having bought it from his widow,Joan(also a rider) @ the RA rally in VT. He is/was a very interesting guy but the book gets off track with far too much philosophy and far too little of what was a very large life. As an example, they lived in a self built log cabin(me too now!) for 20 yrs in a Canadian remote place, off the grid,etc., and it gets like 1/2 page! Also much of his life was spent hunting and that gets short shrift too!MC touring gets some words but no where near what he could have said about his many 1000's of miles on bikes. If I could tell him now, he missed his own opportunity to share much more than his philosophical thoughts.
If some of you knew Mr.Gunnison, please share some anecdotes and add to what he chose to not include in his book... Sad to say, I was dissapointed in the book for what it could have been and this from a PHD in literature, that could write with skill most cannot even begin to approach.

My wife just gave me a "Literati" electronic book. I'm persently reading some of the free Classics. Call of The Wild, 20 Thousand Leagues under the Sea, and The Time Machine were the first of many that are available.
Ride Safe :usa :usa

Atonement by Ian McEwan.
Good story of how things can get totally out of hand with false accusations. First McEwan book I've read, makes me want to read more.

I downloaded the free Kindle app onto my iPhone, and a few of the many free classic books they offered, to see if I would like using an e-reader.

Currently, I am reading Mark Twain's "Life on the Mississippi"

I am finding I like having a good book on hand in a small, convenient package to read a few pages whenever I have a few minutes. I may have to look further into this e-reader technology.

Greetings
Just got a kindle and Tarzan of the Apes and The USAcycling rule book.
love the kindle 3 and may never buy paper again.
Tony

Back