• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What are you reading?

I've been reading Smith's Isabel Dalhousie series (among other things), and have just finished #4, "The Careful Use of Compliments". I've also just read Grisham's "The Confession". Next up is "The Walk" by Richard Paul Evans.

In the past week, I have completed reading "In the Blink of an Eye" by Michael Waltrip and "North by Northwestern" by Capt Sig Hansen (Deadliest Catch).

Neither are what you would call life altering reads but they are entertaining.

Wealth and Democracy

by Kevin Phillips. Story of the sometimes indistinguishable tie between wealth and power in the USA. Kinda depressing. Anyone reading anything uplifting?

I should just go make some more popcorn. Can't get enough of that stuff!

The Bull From the Sea: Mary Renault

A bit of mish mash with Greek tales entwined with the authors story. Random pick off the shelf.

Anything by Bill Bryson because travel and humor are on the top of my list.

Anything by Christopher Moore.

Aaaaaannnnnd, Throttling the Bard by Jay Barry :evil
A dark comedy of motorcycle road trip mayhem best described as Don Quixote meets Easy Rider.

A Game of Thrones–George R.R. Martin
A Clash of Kings–George R.R. Martin
A Storm of Swords–George R.R. Martin
A Feast for Crows–George R.R. Martin
...waiting on the 5th book of the series "A Dance With Dragons"
Old Man's War–John Scalzi

All Sci-Fi and Fantasy...it's nice to escape really life every once and a while...:bottle

Banged out Illusions by Richard Bach this morning. Great read to say the least.

Eyewitness Auschwitz: Filip Muller

After reading this and Gulag Archipelago, is anyone safe? Makes me wonder what would happen if it hit the fan here in the US again, be it a revolution, civil war or World War. People are capable of some pretty scary stuff while showing cleverness and ingenuity in the matter.

Finished The Professional by Robert B. Parker. One left in the Spenser series since Parker died last year. He may have lost some talent in his last years but I like his characters and writing style.
Next up" Painted Ladies" and then I guess I start the series all over again.

I think it's time to reacquaint myself with "Proficient Motorcycling" and "More Proficient Motorcycling". I think you know who wrote those fine tomes.

The Emperor's General by James Webb - historical fiction about the period after WW-II, when McArthur was named "Supreme Commander" and ran the occupation of Japan. I sometimes enjoy the mix of history with fiction, and in this case it's very well done. Stayed up way too late about 4 nights in a row reading it so far.

http://www.amazon.com/Emperors-General-James-Webb/dp/0553578545

51D4QG1C5SL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

A Dance With Dragons

lastsix

Sounds like it could be a long wait for that one. Luckily they are making the books into a series that starts next month. HBO I believe.

The Perfect Vehicle

Again started reading this well liked book by Melissa Holbrook Pierson. I've met her several times, as she's a personal friend of one of my best motorcycling friends.

I was glad to hear that, last summer, Melissa got back to riding on her new-to-her BMW R1150R.

Word has it, she has a new book about motorcycling coming out this fall, and she may be able to do a seminar at the Bloomsburg rally.

Melissa is a truly wonderful writer, and is, most of all, true to herself. She has an insight, backed by careful consideration, that is singular to her. If you agree with her viewpoint, so be it. If not, so be it.

:brow

Best American Short Stories of the Century, edited by John Updike.

A compendium of short stories from the 20th century.. first story from 1923. Just about every famous author from the 1900's.. Hemingway, Updike, Bellow, Roth, etc..

..and with my attention span.. I LOVE short stories! :)

Last edited:
I Finished "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn," by Betty Smith last week. It's an interesting book about the life of the Irish and other immigrants in Brooklyn during the early 1900s. It turned out to be the first feature film directed by Elia Kazan.

This week I'm about half way through "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte - AKA Currer Bell. Bronte is an outstanding writer with excellent prose. But I have to confess, it is not light reading before bedtime. I understand they just released a new movie version staring Mia Wasilowski.

Easy :german

Last edited:
Current titilations of the mind

Running Dry
By M. Christian
Vampire bites man. Man becomes vampire.
The biter and the bitten are in love.
Must be a gay vampire novel.
Running Dry is, yes, about vampires. Hardcore vampires.

Anything from the Vampires of New England series, I also enjoy
physically wandering through ancient graveyards feeling a kind
of peace and finality. Vampires exist as much as their brethern
and the writings of same.

Seasons of Trains-A New England Railroader's Journey,
George S. Pitarys. A photographic journey of New England
Railways as they were
when they were photographed. One man's view.

The Art of Industry. 50 Years of Industrial Photography by Tom Boschsler,
a book which shows how Canadians work and have worked in an industrial setting.
Not just photographs, detailed descriptions of how each photograph was exposed
and the relevance of same.

Edinburgh's Railways, W.A.C Smith & Paul Anderson. An out of print soft cover
from my extensive rail transportation library. Trains and trams from the
home of the castle on the hill.

Currently wading through Rails Through The Bush by Adrian Gunzburg
& Jeff Austin. Timber trsmways and railway contractors of Western Australia.
As I can never vist a foreign land again, at least I can read
about the history of same before
modern times destroyed our senses thoughts and views.

Back