• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

What are you reading?

Barbarians - by Terry Jones (of Monty Python fame) and Alan Ereira. It's an interesting look at the impact (mostly negative) the Roman Empire had on the world.

The March by Doctorow
A fictionalized account of Sherman's march through the South during the Civil War. Tells the story through the eyes of various characters. making it very entertaining.

Two books I got for Christmas.

Year Of Meteors: Stephen A. Douglas, Abraham Lincoln, And The Election That Brought On The Civil War. Dougals R Egerton

Driven West: Andrew Jackson And The Trail Of Tears To the Civil War. A.J. Langguth.

My family knows what a Civil War history buff I am, makes Christmas shopping easy.

To do that, you have to start with a real read of Adam Smith. The talk show Cliffs Notes version is a bit flawed.

Or you can read The Worldly Philosophers, by Robert L. Heilbroner. It is an older book, but gives a good look at the basic ideas of economics as they have evolved, up to middle of the last century. By covering in brief, but highly readable precis, the ideas of the major philosophers, he gives you a basic understanding of how the discipline has grown.

Currently reading:

The Confession, John Grisham, Kindle
Ben Franklin Autobiography, Kindle
Mark Twain Autobiography, Kindle
The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest, Larsson, hardcover
Fall of Giants, Follett, Hardcover
Complete Works, Mark Twain, Kindle
:deal

Just finishing The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Larsson; about to start The Girl Who Played With Fire.

I'll try this again.:doh I am reading an interesting biography entitled The Old Man and the Harley by John J. Newkirk. Starts out in New York 1939 when Jack Newkirk, age 18, buys a 1930 74 cu.in. Harley VL and rides from the New York worlds fair across country to San Francisco and the 1939 Golden Gate World Exhibition. Took him 4 weeks to make the trip and what an adventure he had. John J. Newkirk later retraces this epic journey with his father. The book is an interesting look at America then and now.

three remarkable lives

Stacy Schiff's "Cleopatra," the new Roosevelt bio; "The Colonel," and Keef's "Life"

for me, a good bit of a holy-mackerel-factor in each. If I were to choose one, it'd be "Cleo"

Currently plowing through Pat Conroy's "South of Broad", Michael Connelly's "The Reversal" is next in line.

Halfway through "Three Day Road" by Joseph Boyden. Fictionalized account of two Cree natives from Moose Factory (go north, waaaayyy up north) who sign up with the Canadian Army for the First World War. They apply their substantial skill at hunting game in Canada to stalking Germans in France. Mixed in with the struggle of native peoples in Canada and the residential school legacy.

Footnote* by Boff Whalley

Just started and proves to be a fun book from this Englishman. Boff plays guitar for the fabulous Chumbwumba. You most likely don't know the band but you have most certainly heard their HUGE hit 'I Get Knocked Down' which is probably played in every sports stadium around the world. Eclectic is an understatement for a band which has dabbled in a number of areas from punk rock to acappella old english protest songs.

From the publisher:
Footnote* is clever, funny and irreverentÔÇöa story about a boy from the redbrick clich?®s of smalltown England reconciling Mormonism and punk rock, industrial courtesy and political insurrection.

He finds a guitar, anarchism and art terrorism and, after years (and years and years) of earnest, determined, honest-to-goodness slogging, his pop groupÔÇá makes it big; thatÔÇÖs BIG with a megaphone actually. They write a song that has the whole world singing and, funnily enough, itÔÇÖs an admirable summary of a life well livedÔÇöabout getting knocked down and getting back up again.

Meanwhile, thereÔÇÖs a whole world still happening: authentic lives carefully drawn, emotional but not sentimental and always with a writerÔÇÖs eye for detail. Footnote is not another plodding rock memoir but a compassionate, critical and sometimes cynical account of a life steeped in pop culture, lower division football and putting the world to rights.

Got a couple going

Sea of Glory: Nathaniel Philbrick
Second book of his I've read, first one being In the Heart of the Sea. Found this in the bargain bin for a couple of bucks and worth it. Reading is on the first US survey and exploring expedition in the Pacific. This guy takes historical facts and writes a good book around it. Currently, self appointed Captain (Mr) Wilkes appears to be losing his marbles and trying to prevent a mutiny which probably needs to happen.

World According to Garp: John Irving
At my sisters for dinner and stumbled across this on her book shelf. Just started and proving to be a fun read. I have seen the movie which was great, but now I'm picturing the cast while reading the book.

I'm starting on an adventure motorcycling reading binge. I'm well into "Two Wheels Through Terror" by Glenn Heggstad. Next up are a couple I picked up at the MC show a couple weeks back. They are "The Hunt For Puerto Del Faglioli" by Paddy Tyson (Shuvvy Press) and "The University of Gravel Roads - Global Lessons From A Four Year Motorcycle Adventure" by Rene Cormier (Renedian Adventures)

I finished "The Room" by Emma Donoghue a while back. It gives a good look how an intelligent yet developmentally challenged child might look at the world, and how our view of things are shaped by those who teach us.

I really enjoyed "Remains of the Day" by Kazuo Ishiguro so I just finished his latest work "Never Let Me Go." I enjoy his style, but the subject matter of "Never Let Me Go" is a little mixed - love and friendship meet organ transplant.:scratch

I'm about half way through "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand. I strongly recommend it. It is a very good read about the life of Louis Zamperini a World War II hero. It’s a well written uplifting testament to the human spirit. The book has been on the New York Times best seller list for 8 weeks and is currently number one.

Easy :german

Back