Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

criminaldesign
    Quote Originally Posted by squiffynimrod View Post
    I'm reading the 2010 edition of The Milepost.
    Just in case.................................
    me too

I just finished Dan Walsh's book Endless Horizon.
    Pretty frigin' funny.

The Landmark Arrian: The Campaigns of Alexander
    A comprehensive and rich account of the campaigns of Alexander the Great. Nice illistrations, foot notes and one of the best books on the topic. I am not sure however if I will go through the entire work or do parts and read related subjects.

Just finished The Civil War of 1812: American Citizens, British Subjects, Irish Rebels, & Indian Allies by Alan Taylor. It covers the War of 1812 on the Canadian Border and frontier which I have traveled through on my motorcycle.
    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

Across America by motor-cycle. C K Shepherd

A great reprint of a 1922 book about a trip accross the US on a Henderson 4 Cly.

http://acrossamericabymotorcycle.blo...heaps-mud.html

Unbroken

"Unbroken:: By Laura Hillenbrand
    A WWII story about Louie Zamperini.
    Riveting!
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?

Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U. S. Navy, by Ian Toll.

don't know if this guy is an MOA member, but I have not seen him post here. He's shared his reading while touring. http://www.npr.org/2011/01/19/132681...ycle-road-trip

Quote Originally Posted by 26667 View Post
    "Unbroken:: By Laura Hillenbrand
    A WWII story about Louie Zamperini.
    Riveting!
    +1

Unbroken is the best nonfiction to come out in years. Zamperini gives definition to the term All American. He is one of the reasons I so admire his generation of citizen soldiers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzjN9cu-TDc

Easy
    Last edited by Easy; 01-28-2011 at 06:20 PM.

How I killed Pluto and why it had it coming by Mike Brown

thanx!

Quote Originally Posted by Easy View Post
    +1

Unbroken is the best nonfiction of to come out in years. Zamperini gives definition to the term All American. He is one of the reasons I so admire his generation of citizen soldiers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzjN9cu-TDc

Easy
    Hey, Easy, thanx for sharing that video too. The whole idea that goofy, half-baked, selfish politicians can make the decision that war is the solution to anything, and then send kids to war, and that those kids would behave with such astounding heroism is beyond my ken. This book and Mr. Zamperini's story is perhaps the most astonishing history I've ever read.
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?

The Tiger : A True Story of Vengeance and Survival
    Written by John Vaillant

This takes place in the far eastern part of Russia. The tiger is the Amur tiger, the biggest cat in the world.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just Kids by Patti Smith. It is a great read about two 20 year olds trying to make it in the arts before they both became world famous.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nardowell
    Hoa Binh (Peace)
    Vietnam '69 and '70
    2012 R1200R classic

The Next Decade...

by George Friedman of Stratfor.

The next ten years will be a time of massive transition. The wars in the Islamic world will be subsiding, and terrorism will become something we learn to live with. China will be encountering its crisis. We will be moving from a time when financial crises dominate the world to a time when labor shortages will begin to dominate. The new century will be taking shape in the next decade.

In The Next Decade, George Friedman offers readers a provocative and endlessly fascinating prognosis for the immediate future. Using Machiavelli’s The Prince as a model, Friedman focuses on the world’s leaders—particularly the American president—and with his trusted geopolitical insight analyzes the complex chess game they will all have to play. The book also asks how to be a good president in a decade of extraordinary challenge, and puts the world’s leaders under a microscope to explain how they will arrive at the decisions they will make—and the consequences these actions will have for us all.

Just published, just started reading. I highly recommend Dr. Friedman's other recent book, The next 100 years.

Friedman has a real talent for talking geopolitics, which is a great way to eliminate political bias from a discussion and focus on the realities.

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ ________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '06 HP2e

RSPENNACHIO
    I just finished reading post #74.

I just finished Gunnisons' book/autobiography, "Seventy Years on a Motorcycle" , having bought it from his widow,Joan(also a rider) @ the RA rally in VT. He is/was a very interesting guy but the book gets off track with far too much philosophy and far too little of what was a very large life. As an example, they lived in a self built log cabin(me too now!) for 20 yrs in a Canadian remote place, off the grid,etc., and it gets like 1/2 page! Also much of his life was spent hunting and that gets short shrift too!MC touring gets some words but no where near what he could have said about his many 1000's of miles on bikes. If I could tell him now, he missed his own opportunity to share much more than his philosophical thoughts.
    If some of you knew Mr.Gunnison, please share some anecdotes and add to what he chose to not include in his book... Sad to say, I was dissapointed in the book for what it could have been and this from a PHD in literature, that could write with skill most cannot even begin to approach.

Smile

My wife just gave me a "Literati" electronic book. I'm persently reading some of the free Classics. Call of The Wild, 20 Thousand Leagues under the Sea, and The Time Machine were the first of many that are available.
    Ride Safe