• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Civil War Photos

I try to visit Civil War Battlefields whenever I can. Matthew Brady took many battlefield photos but none have struck me more than the photo taken outside a Union Field Hospital, of a pile of mens limbs stacked like cordwood.
Ride Safe :usa :usa

I get the oppurtunity to travel and have been to hundreds of Civil War sites. Been studying it for over 45 years. Those photo's really show the horror of that war.

As a Civil War buff, former re-enactor and professional photographer, I appreciate you sharing these photos. Just amazing.

I've always been a huge Civil War buff. Years ago I used to subscribe to a Magazine called "Civil War Times" Does anyone know if its still published?

Amazing.

We should strive to preserve what's left of our history and not tear down and replace something just because it's old. Imagine if the old buildings in our home-towns could talk..

Amazing.

We should strive to preserve what's left of our history and not tear down and replace something just because it's old. Imagine if the old buildings in our home-towns could talk..

That is one of the fascinating things about Europe, they keep stuff. Here we tear down 10 year old buildings to build new ones we will tear down in 10 years again.

I remember when Urban Renewal went through our town and tore down 80% of the buildings to replace then with a Mall, that is now mostly abandon of retail, and was taken over by the city to utilize the space as offices.

That is one of the fascinating things about Europe, they keep stuff. Here we tear down 10 year old buildings to build new ones we will tear down in 10 years again.

I remember when Urban Renewal went through our town and tore down 80% of the buildings to replace then with a Mall, that is now mostly abandon of retail, and was taken over by the city to utilize the space as offices.

There was "one of the best preserved examples of a house of the 1860's" behind Home Depot that they tore down in 2005 to build a small strip mall with only one tenant. They already tore down the strip mall and built an Autozone. I guess someone's getting work, tearing down and building.. but damn!

I could go on and on about my county, (supposedly) the former fastest-growing county in the country.. and home of the first state capitol. Sweeping destruction!

hijack off.

Doesn't make sense, but you are right and it is sad.

I live in Orange County, Virginia, just a few miles from the Wilderness battlefield. We are fortunate to have so many Civil War sites in Virginia, though I'm sure the residents in the 1860s would have preferred the battles be elsewhere.

Some of us in Orange County have been fighting Walmart, which has received a special zoning exemption to build a supercenter across the street from part of the Wilderness battlefield. There are certainly other sites within a few miles that are more appropriate, but there you go. As others have said, it's a shame that we seem to value the remnants of our history so lightly in this country.

I'm a product of the Virginia school system and spent many a field trip visiting Civil War (better known as the War For States Rights or the War of Northern Aggression) memorials and battlefields. In the early 90s I was assigned to Fort Monroe Virginia and lived in the same quarters that Lieutenant Robert E. Lee was assigned to in the 1830s; Lee's first child was born in our bedroom. We lived across the street from the Case-mate Museum where Jefferson Davis was imprisoned for a year following the end of the war. One could spend a great summer just riding around Virginia and visiting the many Civil War battlefields.

Matthew Brady is often credited for taking many pictures that were really taken by Alexander Gardner who worked for Brady up until the middle of the war. Brady seldom visited the battlefields, but Gardner was often in the field and took the most famous of the pictures including the staged picture of the rebel sharpshooter at Gettysburg, portraits of Lincoln and the pictures of the assassination conspirators including their hanging.

Last edited:
pffog, Great photo. It took almost 40 years before CSA & UNION veterans met at Manassas and then agreed to meet later at Gettysburg. I recorded Ken Burns Civil War tv production and watch it at least every other year. I think that program is one of the best tv series ever made.
Ride Safe :usa:usa

Previously, I posted:

Some of us in Orange County have been fighting Walmart, which has received a special zoning exemption to build a supercenter across the street from part of the Wilderness battlefield. There are certainly other sites within a few miles that are more appropriate, but there you go. As others have said, it's a shame that we seem to value the remnants of our history so lightly in this country.

HUGE news today. As a trial started in district court about the way the board of supervisors rammed through this project, Walmart announced they were pulling the plug. They will purchase the land, preserve it rather than develop it, and find another site in the county. They will also reimburse the county for the costs of trial preparation, etc. I'm not a fan of Walmart generally, but I have to give them major props for biting the proverbial bullet and doing the magnanimous thing here. I just thought some of y'all would want to know...

Lone Cannon

All Americans should visit this battlefield... this pict was taken early overcast morning before the crowds were out. One of the quietest places I've ever been.

Attachments

• Gettysburg.jpg
    Gettysburg.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 39
Back