• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

KLIM Traverse Suit - A Female review

soph9

I WILL ADD TO THIS REVIEW AS I WEAR THIS SUIT MORE. THE FIRST DAY I WORE IT WAS ON DECEMBER 14TH, 2010.

KLIM.jpg

I am really liking my Traverse suit...yes it is more dirt orientated and a shell but it has been easy to layer to stay warm...and it is so cool how you stay dry. Never owned Gore Tex but every part of me yesterday stayed dry including my crotch in pouring cool rain. Got home, shake the jacket and pants a bit and voila dry. The CE armour is lean and I do not feel like a football player, the suit when on feels light and comfy. The arms are tapered somewhat....i would imagine a guy or gal with larger forearms when wearing a liner would feel snug. It is a simple suit and initially I thought there was not enough 3M reflective material used but they used it wisely and really reflects well in the dark days of winter.

Although I had to order a much larger size in the pants than I am comfortable with...once I got over the slim sizing and just said screw it...my pants are really and I mean really comfy and again very light while on. I did try this suit on before I ordered it. I was really worried because of the guy cut and fit I would not be able to fit my inherited female hips. I am not a small gal and without going into too much detail about my size in general, the fit works if you are willing to go up a size or two.

The jacket I got a large because it is a longer jacket than most and had to be able to zipper it around my god forsaken birthing hips too.

The pants are a Perfect length when on the bike. Little long while walking but I rather have them fit while riding rather walking. I can always roll them up a bit when off the bike. The collar I would have made a bit more stiff....the Velcro they have used especially around the bottom of the pants is a little weak. Should have used a better quality, more sticky Velcro. I am going to get a pair of bike pant reflective bands like the ones people wear on bicycles. just to pull the pants a little more tighter around my boots. The pants are obviously made for the more off road type boot not a touring boot. They are really wide at the end and for me there is not really enough Velcro to get a tight fit.

I am not a huge fan of the asymmetrical design of the front but i can live with it. I wish they added another cargo pocket of the left side of the pants and hand pockets on the pants as well. I bet KLIM make some improvements in the "second" addition because everyone is criticizing the same things.

This suit can be worn by gals if you size it right....oh yeah the pants have a belt...comes in handy to cinch the waist

Interesting review with a bit of the female perspective. Not familiar with KLIM but jacket appears to be a lower feature version with real GoreTex (always a plus compared to imitators) and decent armor. US pricing is very good for real GoreTex.

You didn't say what temps (thinking 40s because you said rain and because of your location/date) and how layered, nor miles/speeds all of which bear significantly on results. Nor the bike (nakeds demand a lot more from gear than an RT) - presumably your F650?

Keep it coming as you put more time and miles on this (and other gear). Nothing like regular use in cold damp climates or long cc runs to sort out what is decent and what isn't.

KLIM is known for it's snow mobile and dirt bike gear...this is their version of a DS suit. They also have a Gore Adventure Rally suit cost about $2000.

I ride a 2010 BMW F650GS. Minimal fairing obviously. I will be riding in 0 degree Celsius or about 32 F weather this morning to to work. The suit hold up well on highway speeds with minimal flapping around and the shell cuts the wind real well. I have CE armour in the shoulders, elbows, back spine and knees. No hip pads...i just don't like hip pads in general.

I ride about 110 KM per day round trip to work. I will add more as I break in the suit but I have to say as far as an actual break in, the suit comes ready to ride. it is not stiff and does not make a lot of noise while walking like some Gore jackets.

here is the US web site

http://www.klimusa.com/product/Traverse-Jacket,305,99.htm

Traverse Jacket
The highly anticipated Traverse Jacket is designed specifically for enduro and off-road riders who demand an extremely durable, waterproof and precisely patterned riding jacket. Highly durable GORE-TEX?« fabrics protect you from the elements while drawing moisture away from your body, keeping you dry and comfortable. Built-in ventilation allows you to adapt to whatever environmental condition you face.
• GUARANTEED TO KEEP YOU DRY?«
• HEAVY-DUTY GORE-TEX?« FABRICS
• 840 DENIER CORDURA?« OVERLAYS IN HIGH WEAR AREAS
• 840 DENIER CORDURA?« DEVELOPED FROM THE GROUND UP SPECIFICALLY FOR THIS TYPE OF OFF-ROAD RIDING GARMENT
• TWO STORM-FLAP-COVERED YKK?« ZIPPER HAND POCKETS
• ONE STORM-FLAP-COVERED YKK?« ZIPPER CHEST POCKET
• ONE INTERNAL YKK?« ZIPPER POCKET
• TWO-WAY HEAVY-DUTY YKK?« VISION 8 CENTER-FRONT ZIPPER COVERED BY DUAL-EXTERNAL STORM FLAPS
• BOTTOM HEM SHOCK-CORD AND ADJUSTERS
• SOFT MICRO-FLEECE-LINED COLLAR
• TWO ADJUSTABLE PIT-VENTS WITH TWO-WAY YKK?« ZIPPERS
• LATERAL ADJUSTABLE BACK VENT
• ALL ZIPPERS COVERED WITH STORM FLAPS TO MAINTAIN WATERPROOFNESS AND TO STOP DEBRIS
• INNER CUFF GASKET
• ADJUSTABLE VELCRO CUFFS
• 3M SCOTCHLITE™ INDUSTRIAL-GRADE 9910 REFLECTIVE PANELS
• SHOULDER AND ELBOW PAD POCKETS
• MOISTURE-WICKING POLYESTER MESH LINER
• D-RING
• ARTICULATED SLEEVES PROFILE FOR RIDER POSITIONING

Last edited:
Commuted to work...temperature range this morning was -2.5 Celsius to +2.0. Highway speeds up to 115 KM/Hr

All I am wearing under this suit is a heated Gerbing Liner and LDComfort long sleeve shirt and LDComfort long underwear.

I am surprised and happy to report that even with these low temperatures my legs stayed warm and so did all of me. I also have heated Gerbing T5 gloves. Made for a really enjoyable one hour commute in. I am impressed that a Gore Shell and some layering I can stay comfortable.

This is such a relief to know that what I had hope for by getting this suit was to be able to keep the layering down, stay lean and have a suit that allows me to be safe, dry, warm and comfy without bulk. So far this Traverse has past that test.

Last edited:
Not familiar with KLIM but jacket appears to be a lower feature version with real GoreTex (always a plus compared to imitators) and decent armor. US pricing is very good for real GoreTex.

what do you mean by lower feature version?

Stuff guys often find use for- like lots of pockets and other similar details.

Thanks for the extra info.

I do wish they had added hand pockets to the pants but for the $$ this suit is really impressing me.

I was worried about the short crotch but if the pants are sized right is not an issue...and the high back and elastic...not likely I will suffer from plumber crack syndrome.

I really wasn't sure about this suit but everything about it is proving to me that it is a lot of gear for the $$....I would really like to see KLIM add webbing in the venting areas...while i have not used them yet I am sure bugs and other things may end up inside the pants and jacket when the warm weather hits. I might be wrong but time will tell.

No suit is perfect but if KLIM wants to hear and I think they do constructive criticism i would also make the bicep and forearm area on the sleeves a little roomier and add Velcro straps so the rider can adjust the arms for their riding style. The pants are indeed baggy through the thighs but I really am finding them to be extra comfortable compared to my other gear.

I am just amazed how I am able to keep myself warm on freezing cold days with just minimal layering. This thing cuts wind like crazy and I think that is way as the rider I am able to control my body temperature so easily. I am not even turning my heated liner past half way.

Great report and great your still riding/getting to ride this late in the season. :thumb
Maybe you can do a report on the Heidenau K60s you used on your big trip-over in F-Twins. Thanks, Gary

Great report and great your still riding/getting to ride this late in the season. :thumb
Maybe you can do a report on the Heidenau K60s you used on your big trip-over in F-Twins. Thanks, Gary

K60's ROCK....plain and simple...they will be the only tire we use as long as we own a DS bike...:clap

One week ownership

So in the week I have owned this suit I have commuted in -4 degree Celsius and have been hit with down pours. Mind you the long ride I have yet to do...all I am doing right now is commuting to work...total of a little over 2 hours a day. I LOVE this suit that I have found some gear that meet most of my expectations. Most important one to me is to stay dry outside in. The armour and the fact i do not feel like a football player is just awesome. My set up is working for the cold with no bulky feeling. Just my LDComfort underwear all week long and Gerbing heated liner and gloves. I wear Rev it Apache H2O boots with a wool blend sock. This layering is light and simple. So simple it works and the suit is doing its job.

Next things I am going to be watching for is how the material holds up the rest of the winter. Try to get some decent long rides in some rain to see how the waterproofing stands up the our rain forest weather. See hoe long I can keep myself warm without adding a thing to my routine.

The fit...like I said so comfortable except the contoured arms. The forearm is a little snug with the Gerbing but not uncomfortable. I feel more visible in the gray colour and just safer because my should checks are really clear from my shoulder pads like i have on my Rev'it Pro jacket.

Love it! and I think this is such a tomboy suit for the women out there that do not gravitate towards pinks and flowers.

I made a decision today to change out my CE spine armour for the smaller D3o. Why? I am 5'5" and do not really have a long trunk. The CE armour is a little too long for my back so I want a smaller and shorter pad.

even colder this morning but I think I have reached my max coldness....my feet were a little too cold and I doubt I will be buying heated socks or liners anytime soon.

Suit works great though.

weatherDec3110.png

weatherFdec3110.png

some post commute ride home pics....nice helmet head I know! That's my iPhone in my side pocket btw...i am able to wear my jeans under the pants no problem and they are still very comfortable.

P1020745.jpg

P1020747.jpg

P1020744.jpg

Just a condense review posted in the KLIM Enduro Feedback thread!

I have added D3o back armour and it is lean and feels good in this jacket....also, here is a condense review I posted on the ADV forum...

I recently bought the Traverse suit and although not perfect...but what is....I have grown to LOVE this suit. I am a female and was concerned about the sizing. Once I got over the fact the pants are made for men and not women with hips....I went up a size or two and they are COMFORTABLE! I read somewhere someone said those using the Traverse should not see it as a road savvy suit. The material used in making the Traverse appears way better than my old Joe Rocket and on par to my Rev it Cayenne. I would trust this thing in a slide as much as we trust any material.

The waterproof Gore Tex shell is amazing. I ride all the time in showers, pouring rain to down right waterfall rain. I never worry anymore about getting wet and so far this suit has not leaked. The collar needs to be stiffer on the jacket and as others have said more closure options. I can not get it tight enough on those really cold days and rainy ones too. I have managed to make this a winter suit with nothing but LDComfort underwear and my Gerbing.

So, to improve the Traverse, more colour options for sure. My partner will be getting hers in a few weeks and guess what we not only have the same bikes different colours of course, but now the exact same suit. Thank GOD we have different brand and model helmets. Add woman sizing to your list, add hand pockets to the pants and a side gusset to the jacket down by the hem to allow those with hips make necessary adjustments. The two way zipper on the jacket helps with seating position but having an option to open up the sides a bit with a waterproof gusset would be great.

Instead of having tailored or tapered shoulder and arms allow the rider to make their own adjustments by adding Velcro straps on the arms and we can decide to tighten or losing the fit. For guys out there with biceps and forearms that are bigger than usual as well as gals...this jacket might be snug in these areas but as for the chest...I guess I could get a breast enlargement and grow a bigger gut! So, a little too roomy in those areas and too snug in the shoulders and arms.

Any way my two cents as female DS rider who LOVES the KLIM product and wants to see more.

Oh yeah we have the powerxross gloves, run a little big, the thumb could be roomier but otherwise they are waterproof and work great even in very chilly weather.

Update

We took our Traverse suits up to Alaska this summer...they DID GREAT. But better yet...KLIM is coming out with 2 new suits for DS ADV riders. the Badlands and Latitude. We are eying the Latitude because it has more pockets and better material for the road. Very exciting this KLIM gear and still absolutely love the no liner approach...comfort, wind cutting, Gore Tex...you name it...great stuff!

Check out the new gear at KLIM

http://www.klim.com/en-us/shop/new-products

take a look at our BLOG...we review the Traverse and a whole lot more. Link is in my signature.

Back