Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Personal Information to ANYONE

My Personal Information to ANYONE

While I do not try to hide behind the anonymity of the internet to enable me to post rude, know it all, or condescending information or comments I really do not care for ALL of my contact information to be posted for ANYONE to delve into and thereby call or solicit without my permission. This is now the case with the new "edition" of one of the BMWMOA's leading form of communication. Here on the website to be exact.

What am I talking about?.......Plug in the "search box" your name or even just your city......You will appear there along with a bunch of other folks.......NOW, click on your name and there is every means of getting in touch with you that any miscreant, sales agent, or just good ol boy might want. For me, this is just a bit to much. Is this common knowledge for the membership to know and understand? No one notified me that all of my personal information was going to be available to just anyone. OH yes, one must be a member to get into the search function.........boy oh boy that is a hindrance for folks isn't it??????..............

For me, I really thought all of this information was buried at the office in a file someplace. If someone wants to email me, they click on my "handle/name" and it takes them to a form that shows no address. The anonymous book makes a big deal of no names, no address, no email addy, but the anonymity of a phone number all by itself.

So, If one goes in and deletes all of that stuff on one's profile, does it remove them from the anonymous book????? Will folks still be able to email me by clicking on my name and the form pop up??? I really do NOT care for the way that this information is put out there without my permission or at least informing me of my options. ......................

By the way this is happening on the main "Web Page" search box, not here on the forum. I just went to my "personal page" to edit the information. I could NOT get rid of my physical address. How to do this..........Thanks

Hmmmm, I did some looking Dennis and from what I can tell, the personal information only shows when a member is logged in.
    This would mean that I don't think any more is showing than if you were looking through the community section.
    Just to see if we are looking at the same thing, howz about opening another tab, make sure you are logged out and see if you can find anything "personal".
    A logged out search of your name, while logged out, only showed people with your name that were talked about or who wrote articles for ON.
    Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Type M for Moderator
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Yes, I logged out and then searched. The personal info is gone............That is only PART of the problem. YOU and I both know that there are folks in the BMWMOA that I do not want having my information, there are LOTS of folks that hide behind anonymity of their name but post the town they live in, and lastly, I really do NOT like MY information being so readily available to some unscrupulous person that gets into the site one way or another and has access to my stuff...........Yes, I know....my "handle" is DennisDarrow and where I live is right there.............BUT not my phone number, email, and all the other stuff one can easily get.

Perhaps, it is no big deal to others but for me it is a problem. No one asked if this could be this way, no one got my permission, and no one advised me that this was gonna be happening..........Thanks for what you do Gary...God bless........Dennis

I haven't spent much time on the new home page set up Dennis, that's why I had to do a quick run through. In you area of concern, is there anything more than what appears in the Anonymous Book or if I clicked on your profile from the forum? (i'm trying to figure this sorta long distance)
    Your welcome Dennis.
    Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Type M for Moderator
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    I haven't spent much time on the new home page set up Dennis, that's why I had to do a quick run through. In you area of concern, is there anything more than what appears in the Anonymous Book or if I clicked on your profile from the forum? (i'm trying to figure this sorta long distance)
    Your welcome Dennis.
    Gary
    In the "Anonymous" there is my phone number and my city; but that's it. In my profile, there IS NOT my address, my phone number, nor my email addy, or my name if I choose to be anonymous. So I take it, that it's no big deal for all of this to be posted, let alone all in one place?????...........Oh well..........God bless......Dennis

Gary, you live in a 2 story gray house with white trim???..........Is that a young red maple there in your front yard????

I don't know Dennis. I still don't know if I helped with your concerns (the long distance aspect of looking at 2 different computer screens). From what I can see, a logged in member is the only one who can see any real personal information. From what I understand, previously notable but not changeable by a member, for the A/B, can now be accessed and changed and brought up to date by a member rather than having to call the office or checking boxes on a renewal form.
    Take a look around and see what is available to both the logged in and not logged in. As long as it's only visible to logged in members, I think we are good to go.
    Gary
    Type M for Moderator
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by DennisDarrow View Post
    Gary, you live in a 2 story gray house with white trim???..........Is that a young red maple there in your front yard????
    No Dennis, no resemblance.
    Type M for Moderator
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Take a look around and see what is available to both the logged in and not logged in. As long as it's only visible to logged in members, I think we are good to go.
    Gary
    OK Gary. Personal privacy does not exist I suppose. And yes, I surely do find the folks here totally honorable, trustworthy, and none would ever do anything to anyone else for personal gain. Oh well, thanks for talking about it.........God bless.......Dennis

For some reason I cannot figure out what you mean.
    Try searching under Google search for your name and your city. You will see just about everything comes up right there.
    There is not much privacy left today, anywhere. And there probably never was.
    dc

It doesn't hurt to check any of this Dennis. It's like if I went to your house and we were going to go somewhere- and you couldn't find your keys. When I would walk into your house and see you frantically looking for something and asked "what are you looking for Dennis" and you replied "my keys.......And I said "these keys?"
    A fresh perspective frequently will pick up on "things" that others are "too close" to see.
    If anyone sees something that looks askew, let one of us know. We will take a look.
    OM

EDIT- Let's not let this turn into a who can out Google who for street pictures of members homes- or what-not......it's just really bad form.
    Type M for Moderator
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

What started the whole thing was that I was searching, and could not find the minutes for the various Board meetings nor the treasurer's reports..........any help there.........???

Once you are logged in, I think it's through the NAV button- from memory .
    OM
    Type M for Moderator
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Funny. My search indicates that I am a Captain and live in Toledo, OH. That was true thirty years ago. My Anonymous Book info looks current.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost