• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GTL Topcase?

B1Pilot

Maybe a LT owner could comment, but does anyone know if the topcases are removable? I dont mind if the side cases aren't but I prefer to ride no topcase unless it's a long ride... I like a lot of the additional features the GTL brings over the GT, so the decision for the next bike will be tough!

Maybe a LT owner could comment, but does anyone know if the topcases are removable? I dont mind if the side cases aren't but I prefer to ride no topcase unless it's a long ride... I like a lot of the additional features the GTL brings over the GT, so the decision for the next bike will be tough!
Yes, removable.

The GT comes without the topcase and the topcase is an available accessory, indicating it can be removed.
I would assume the same goes for the sidecases.

thanks for the replies... I am still not 100% sure though.

I understand that the GT comes with an accessory topcase that is removable.. I have the equivalent on my RT.

The GTL topcase appears to be more robust. The backrest is more extensive, and if my memory serves me correctly in the LT (what the GTL will be replacing) the topcase had electrics to power a light and a CD changer.

I would like this case to be unpluggable and removable with the same ease as it is with my RT top case, that way I can ride without it day to day to work like I like, but convert into a luxury 2 up ride when the wife and I go on trips...

time will tell I guess

thanks for the replies... I am still not 100% sure though.

I understand that the GT comes with an accessory topcase that is removable.. I have the equivalent on my RT.

The GTL topcase appears to be more robust. The backrest is more extensive, and if my memory serves me correctly in the LT (what the GTL will be replacing) the topcase had electrics to power a light and a CD changer.

I would like this case to be unpluggable and removable with the same ease as it is with my RT top case, that way I can ride without it day to day to work like I like, but convert into a luxury 2 up ride when the wife and I go on trips...

time will tell I guess
Look at the latch at the rear of the GTL case -- the same two lid-opening and trunk-unlatching levers as the GT. You can expect the electrics to be disconnectable by a male-female connector, just like the K12LT's trunk (which came off after unplugging a couple connectors and removing 4 bolts in the trunk base). The GTL will be easier -- no hold-down bolts to deal with.

He may have a point. The GTL topcase may not be as easily removed as the accessory version on the GT.
This may be the reason the GTL comes with the topcase and the GTL does not.

The topcase for the GT will be removable similar to the current GT topcase. The GTL topcase will be bolted on but can be removed easier than the bolt-on case on the K 1200 LT.

Steve Anderson
Sales & Marketing Manager
Morton's BMW Motorcycles
Fredericksburg, Virginia
540-891-9844
steve@mortonsbmw.com

You can now check out the Rider's Manuals for both models (see the "sticky" thread at the top of this section of the Forum with the links to BMW Canada's website where you can view/download PDF files for the GT and GTL). After quickly skimming the pertinent section of the manual, it would seem that removing and replacing topcases is a bit of a pain for both the GT and the GTL. For example, you have to remove the rear seat, unplg a cable etc. Certainly not as simple as removing the topcase on a current generation RT, or GT.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=50993

After checking the relevant parts of the GT and GTL manuals, it appears it's actually slightly easier -- as in no tools required -- to remove the GTL topcase than the GT. That's the opposite of what we had heard before, but there it is.

Thanks to Mark for posting the Canadian manuals.

Steve Anderson
Morton's BMW Motorcycles
Fredericksburg, Virginia
540-891-9844
steve@mortonsbmw.com

After checking the relevant parts of the GT and GTL manuals, it appears it's actually slightly easier -- as in no tools required -- to remove the GTL topcase than the GT. That's the opposite of what we had heard before, but there it is.

Thanks to Mark for posting the Canadian manuals.

Steve Anderson
Morton's BMW Motorcycles
Fredericksburg, Virginia
540-891-9844
steve@mortonsbmw.com

Ah yes, on the GT you need to remove two screws. Wonder why? I must admit that on long trips I often remove the topcase on my R12RT, either for a day ride, or to put a bike cover on overnight (can carry a smaller cover that way). Certainly wouldn't be doing that too often with the GT, though that depends on each person's personal limit for minor frustrations.

It appears to me the same top case for both the GT and GTL.

The difference between the GT and GTL in mounting/dismounting the topcase stems from the difference in the seats. Remember the GTL has a one-piece seat while on the GT the rider's seat is separate from the pillion's. On the GT you will have to undo two screws to remove the pillion seat before you can disconnect the topcase-end plug to remove the topcase.

I, too, prefer to use the topcase only for long trips on my current R1200RT. This procedure for removing/installing the topcase on the K1600GT is much more cumbersome but I'm trading up anyway. I can hardly wait for delivery of my GT in June.

Back