• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2011 Rally Q&A

First Rally

Hey,

I will be heading down the Wednesday before to find a place to camp plus the fact that I have volunteered to help out Thursday morning. I would like to camp somewhere quiet and clean with facilities but close to the Rally site. I know nothing of the area and would like some recommendations on where to stay?

So please let me know....
thanks

Hey,

I will be heading down the Wednesday before to find a place to camp plus the fact that I have volunteered to help out Thursday morning. I would like to camp somewhere quiet and clean with facilities but close to the Rally site. I know nothing of the area and would like some recommendations on where to stay?

So please let me know....
thanks

Terry, if you are volunteering, why not setup your tent on the Rally site on either Tuesday or Wednesday night? The advantage of being on site is being able to take in the entertainment, have a beer and walk back to your tent. The site tends to be crowded, but if my neighbours tend to be a touch noisy, earplugs have always solved that problem. Often my rally site neighbours become good friends.

Site

I thought of camping onsite bbut wasn't sure how busy or crazy it could be...I suppose I'll have to try it out....what is the normal method for picking a place to camp on site?..first come first server?...can I park my bike close by?...

bike parking is always "close"- usually within spitting distance. 1st come, 1st serve. there is always a "quiet" area- which usually is pretty quiet- but sound does not know where the active areas stop and the quiet ones begin. still, generally pretty decent. volunteers are the only ones who are supposed to be coming in before Thursday, so you end up getting extremely good selection by V'ing.
Very strongly encourage on-site camping, it really makes the rally experience happen. unless of course it's really crappy weather, then its a little bit more like camping in really crappy weather.

I thought of camping onsite bbut wasn't sure how busy or crazy it could be...I suppose I'll have to try it out....what is the normal method for picking a place to camp on site?..first come first server?...can I park my bike close by?...

Yup! first come first serve, Yes you can park your bike right next to your tent!

Join in the fun!

Yes you can park your bike right next to your tent!

Join in the fun!

yeah well, that's a "maybe".

For example, at Redmond, I could, but i got an early site. Many others had to park a short (1 minute) stroll away. Often, there is no "lawn parking" of bikes, and generally, there is not "pavement parking" of tents.

Camping

well, I guess it's on site for me..that's included in the admin fee correct?

It pays to volunteer...if you get first choice on spots...

yeah, always just one admision price, good for as many days as you are there, for all services used or unused. only extras are food and beverage, along with MSF classes (if you are fortunate enough to get into one). and whatever bike schwag you want/need, which is thoroughly optional.

Volunteering makes the Rally much more fun

It pays to volunteer...if you get first choice on spots...

I have camped on-site at all my National Rallies (this is #20), and enjoy the chaos that is a National Rally:bottle:stick:clap:eat:deal:groovy.

Yes, your "neighbor" will be 6" from your tent, and the "snore homing devices" will help you find your camping area among thousands of tents. Bring enough earplugs to keep out the various sounds and bring along lots of good nature. Our rallies are gatherings of old and new friends, and the yearly National is the Really BIG event. Lots of bikes, lots of people, and a lot of fun.

As for volunteering to get in early: Good Idea Grasshopper! :bow
I have been Head Bartender on Wednesday nights for a bunch of years now, and we usually have about 3000 members on-site the night before the Rally! As I have told first timers for ages, the best choice of camping areas will go to the early arrivals, and if you get involved with the Rally operations, you will truly understand and appreciate what it takes to make a MOA National Rally! We have a spot for you working in the Beer Tent on Wednesday night if you are up to it!:deal

Last edited:
Beer Tent

:bottleWhen I arrive early on Wednesday, where is the best spot to make camp on the site?..and yea, I think I could give some assistance in the beer tent...serving or drinking?... I'm doing a shift thursday morning 8 to 12...probably not in the beer tent....:bottle

OK, I'm here..........

:bottleWhen I arrive early on Wednesday, where is the best spot to make camp on the site?..

OK, you realize that we are talking about a town of 10,000 that will appear on Monday - Wednesday, will be nearly completely occupied by Thursday evening, and will disappear by 6PM Sunday! Things are very fluid at National Rallies, so trying to say "where is the best spot to make camp?" is a bit difficult. There are maps on the rally web page and we should know where the rally spots will be located in a few months. If you arrive on Wednesday early, there should be a lot of space, but make sure you know what is planned for that area. Downwind from the Porta-Potties, near the Airhead tent, beside a beer truck with AC running, downstream from the Beer Tent, a dry creek bed, and areas with trees with nuts and pods that will drop on your tent, are ALL very bad camping locations at a rally.:doh When you show up on Wed. AM,find a space and be ready to jump in and get that Rally put together--it should be a very busy day. You can work in the Beer Tent earlier in the evening, and then be a customer for the rest of the evening!:buds Sleep? Who needs sleep?:nod

OK I want to register/pay to attend. This would be my first rally. Where is that registration site?

I would also like to sign up to volunteer. I cant seem to find that site either.

Can someone help? Please.

That is because they're not up yet. Stay tuned for details, including when you can pre-register. Then look at the Rally page for details on volunteering. Since this will be your first rally, you'll discover that you now belong to a "family" you didn't know you had. You'll find that a smile and a handshake go a long way, as does a a fun attitude. Along with the Good Reverend, I look forward to meeting up with you and any other fine folks that want to spend some time slingin' suds!

First National Rally??

Make sure that you check into the MOA Ambassador area, they will have something special for you for attending!
The Kiltmeister

OK I want to register/pay to attend. This would be my first rally. Where is that registration site?

I would also like to sign up to volunteer. I cant seem to find that site either.

Here is a list of committee chair/co-chairs. Find an area in which you are interested in volunteering and drop the chair a note. In my opinion, volunteering is a great way to meet folks and enhance your rally experience. Thanks for asking.
http://www.bmwmoa.org/rally11/get_involved/2011_rally_committee_chairs

Registration info will be in the Owners News and the website at a later date.

Mark

Still...

I think I should find a nice relatively quiet place to camp...does anyone have a list of camp sites in the bloomsburg area?

camping onsite at the rally kinda gives me pause...

thanks for your help..

tj

Imho

NOT camping at the National takes away a significant amount of the fun. I love to walk around in the evening and talk to people, catch up with friends, meet new ones, look at the bikes, listen to the music, have a beer... or three, and not have to worry about riding back to my hotel/motel/campground. :buds

YMMV

sdc

Back