Thread: Throttle cable lube for sticky throttle

Rally Rat

Question Throttle cable lube for sticky throttle

My throttle has a little sticky release (I perfer a quick smooth spring back). Aside from WD 40, is there anything all y'all can recommend to lube the cable?

Getting lost...
    BMW cables are not meant to be lubricated. It can actually make it worse. I believe they have an internal lining of a Teflon-type material - others may know exactly.

I would look for binding somewhere along its routing or even withing the grip. Otherwise, a replacement may be in order.

BUDDINGGEEZER
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorwerk View Post
    BMW cables are not meant to be lubricated. It can actually make it worse. I believe they have an internal lining of a Teflon-type material - others may know exactly.

I would look for binding somewhere along its routing or even withing the grip. Otherwise, a replacement may be in order.
    True.

I am going to make an assumption. The K bikes' throttle tube is geared and I'll guess your R bike is too. The gear does need greasing, at least my old K100LT's did.

Ralph Sims

No lube for the BMW cables on oilheads and later bikes.

Check the throttle grip to make sure the rubber isn't binding on the bar weight or at the switch block. As the grips deteriorate with age they can stretch off the ends a bit and bind. Also a good idea to remove the whole throttle grip assembly and clean it up. Grunge can build up in there and cause it to bind as well. Then that just leaves the cable if the problem is not corrected.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddingGeezer View Post
    True.

I am going to make an assumption. The K bikes' throttle tube is geared and I'll guess your R bike is too. The gear does need greasing, at least my old K100LT's did.

Ralph Sims
    Perhaps later year R bikes (Hexheads) are, but his 95 R1100RS isn't. Assuming that's the bike we're discussing that is.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Ditto on the "no lube" on cables. So, how old are your cables? I'm betting OEM?

I use that "teflon/graphite" spray lube (there are a ton of brands) that you get at a locksmith's shop. No gummy build up. And no ring around the collar either.... .
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Yarddog
    Toss that WD-40...there are so many better products available to do the job that this stuff is supposed to do...