• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Cycle World

podsobinski

Just got my Cycle World magazine for Jan. 2011. Two pictures of the K1600 on the cover, top view and side view. Then a 5 page article on it titled "A uniquely German take on American luxury touring". This is a CW Tech preview which was very well written and illustrated with numerous pictures. I was impressed with the motorcycle after reading CW a lot more than all the intro stuff BMW put out includding Jay Leno standing around it on video. Three cheers for CW.

To me the most interesting part of the article was the info on the new switch design, that if well executed, has the potential to end the water-killed switch problems reported by many on various BMW bikes exposed to weather. Sometimes these reports get followed by a foolish recommendation to spray the switch internals with WD-40- which dries to an insulating film (its made from menhaden-fish- oil in petroleum distillate)

Summary is that the switch supplier, Kromberg and Schubert, is producing a sealed switch starting with etching/plating of a copper impregnated matrix and that the external buttons are operating a sealed unit. No more exposed springy thingys inside so nothing to short out or corrode. In theory... If it works it will be nice to see it extended to other models- there were positive comments on the switch feel.

Riding my 08 RT using electric gloves last night reminded me once again of the crappy ergos of the hi beam switch on my 08. Takes a bunch of fiddling, always, to get the thumb in the right place on the thing which is also too stiff by far. Its so bad it should be lit to help out. An amusing contrast to the signals that are too easy to turn on and lack any sort of tactile feedback. And a BC button that is hard to reach without taking a hand from the controls and is "behind" the start/kill switch. The 10 RT has better switch ergos but still has a way to go.

Other than the above, there is nothing in the article I haven't seen before but I agree that it beats reading one more copycat blurb about Jay Leno's collection.

I am always amused by those articles written from the manufacturer's press kit. What I want to know is what the thing weighs. For that, we'll have to wait until they're released to the media to test.

Road Test

Yes, the road test or a comparison with the "LeadWing" will be more worthwhile. Also, the switches may be the new direction. Seems like every year BMW has surprises for us. The K1200LT"s might be for sell in numbers next spring. Cost and weight might be the main drawback for the 6 cylinder torque machine.

To me the most interesting part of the article was the info on the new switch design, that if well executed.......

This is probably due to whomever they used as a previous supplier was so bad that it forced a recall for the switches.

I had to have mine replaced

Cost and weight might be the main drawback for the 6 cylinder torque machine.
Cost, yes.

Weight, no -- the K16GTL is lighter than the K12LT. Plus, the "apparent" weight as perceived from the saddle should be lower as well, due to the lower seat height.

I am always amused by those articles written from the manufacturer's press kit. What I want to know is what the thing weighs. For that, we'll have to wait until they're released to the media to test.

the BMW motorcycle magazine article by Sandy Cohen says that the weight is only about 60 pounds lighter than a 1200LT. Still a heavy bike. The lower seat and CG may make it more user friendly though.

And the pricing guesses in Sandy's BMW Magazine are too high from my perspective. I have a difficult time going to a motorcycle with matching or worse gas mileage than my car. My R1200RT suits me just fine...weight, price and MPG wise.

...What I want to know is what the thing weighs. For that, we'll have to wait until they're released to the media to test.

No need to wait. The full technical specs were published in BMW's press kit last October. The unladen weight (with 90% fuel load):

-- GT (without panniers) is 319 kg (702 lbs);
-- GTL with panniers and topcase) is 348 kg (766 lbs).

So the GT is 130 lbs. heavier than my R1200RT.

Back