• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

June 2011 ride - NM & AZ?

KenDittrick

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197
As winter has set in for good in Calgary and we have already seen the temperature drop past -30C the mind wanders to the next riding season. I have been thinking of a solo ride to Arizona and New Mexico in June 2011. I came close a couple of years ago spending an awesome two weeks in Colorado and Utah and thought this might be a good time of year for these states. Any thoughts by the group for interesting places to see and roads to ride? I will be on my 2008 R1200RT and have no interest in gravel roads - although one of the best rides ever for me was a climb up a gravel road canyon wall east of Mexican Hat!

June in south, central, and even parts of northern AZ can be very hot, so plan a route in AZ in June carefully.

That could be a scorcher.
I might suggest staying up in the hills.
Eastern AZ along HWY 191 is nice.
Central/North Arizona-check out Hwy 89A from Grand Canyon south through Sedona.
New Mexico- Check out Silver City and the hills to the north. Or Taos area in the north central.

Not any gravel listed above.

That portion of Hwy 163 north of Mexican Hat is pretty awesome. I didn't realize that there was a portion not paved when I first road it. Thats why there is NO traffic. The approach from the south is stunning. As you approach the ascent it looks like the road just dissapears into the cliff walls.

AZ & NM rides

You'll have a blast!! You might want to pick up a copy of the book, "Motorycycle Journeys through the Southwest" by Marty Berke. It's full of great ride suggestions for the Southwest, including AZ and NM. He also includes lots of info on motels and restaurants. I'm most familiar with rides in northern NM and southern Colorado. This book will be a great resource.

For good rides in northern New Mexico, consider a few nights in Taos or Santa Fe and ride out from there. Do the High Road between Taos and Santa Fe; the Enchanted Circle loop north and east of Taos; run up to Chama and over to Aztec on Hwy 64. (If you've seen the movie Wild Hogs, much of it was filmed in the northern NM area....they run over the bridge over the Rio Grande River, just about 10 miles nw of Taos...beautiful sight). A little to the west of Taos and you're in Georgia O'Keefe (famous artist) country.....red rocks and open vistas....west on over to Grand Canyon country.

The weather in northern NM will be great in June! Travelling south will increase the temperatures. If that's the case, just head to southern Colorado and see it again!

Ride safe,
piperjim

152 to Silver City in N. M. is a nice twisty road with beautiful scenery. I wouldn't miss the opportunity to ride it if you have a chance.

You'll have a blast!! You might want to pick up a copy of the book, "Motorycycle Journeys through the Southwest" by Marty Berke. It's full of great ride suggestions for the Southwest, including AZ and NM. He also includes lots of info on motels and restaurants. I'm most familiar with rides in northern NM and southern Colorado. This book will be a great resource.

For good rides in northern New Mexico, consider a few nights in Taos or Santa Fe and ride out from there. Do the High Road between Taos and Santa Fe; the Enchanted Circle loop north and east of Taos; run up to Chama and over to Aztec on Hwy 64. (If you've seen the movie Wild Hogs, much of it was filmed in the northern NM area....they run over the bridge over the Rio Grande River, just about 10 miles nw of Taos...beautiful sight). A little to the west of Taos and you're in Georgia O'Keefe (famous artist) country.....red rocks and open vistas....west on over to Grand Canyon country.

The weather in northern NM will be great in June! Travelling south will increase the temperatures. If that's the case, just head to southern Colorado and see it again!

Ride safe,
piperjim

Thanks for the book recommendation - I am going to look for that. Also yes, I have heard Santa Fe is a must do and I will add Taos. :wave

Bump

Plans changed, now will be in NM and AZ end of May / beginning of June. Starting really look forward to it and will get my RT out of my neighbors shed this weekend where it has been ice-locked till now. My latest route is a circle of about 7500 Km.

Last edited:
In Scottsdale, 81F now (day's high), humidity 10%, and 9 mph WNW breeze.

I rode to and from work, using the HOV lane in Phoenix, and the ride home was much quicker because I could. If you ride Flagstaff, Winslow, Heber, all north, high country, AZ will be beautiful. May/June in our neck of the woods is mesh gear, and in late June, very early July, we wet the underclothing first.

I rode to and from work, using the HOV lane in Phoenix, and the ride home was much quicker because I could.

So how do the HOV laws work in AZ, J-man? Just curious. If you are maxing the vehicle regardless of class does that qualify you to jump the HOV?

:wave

All m/c are allowed to use HOV lanes evenwhen restricted, here and according to US law everywhere.

Some police ticket for this in NYC and other places just to be mean and contra.

The AMA is fighting this hardball like so we'll see what happens, but here we honor the US law.

Back