• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Velcro - Industrial Strength and Weather Resistant?

Is Velcro the high tech version of duct tape?

• Yup

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Nope

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Martini

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

BRADFORDBENN

Slowpoke & Proud of It!
So I was at the Office MegaLow Mart getting some office stuff and saw Velcro Brand Industrial Strength and Weather Resistant Hook and Loop Fasteners. So I was thinking, "I wonder is this works? I am sure another rider would know, after all it is almost as good as duct tape for putting goodies on a bike."

So two questions:

1) Is Velcro the removable version of duct tape? Fixes everything.
2) If anyone has tried this stuff, how did it work out?

Thanks.

I've just gotta believe that Velcro is one of the greatest inventions of the 20th century, along with radio, TV, the computer and the sports bra ...

another option

When I worked in the hospital we used a different product. It looked like a bunch of little plastic mushrooms on a sheet. It was all the same, no "hook" or "loop." Best of all it was solid plastic, not fabric like, so it didn't soak up water. It held great, cleaned up well and you had to twist to remove, not just rip it off. Haven't seen it in years but it would be great for attaching things to tank, dash, fairing, etc.

MarkF

Velcro and the copycat stuff is the greatest stuff going.3M makes the plastic stuff. I will try and find out the number tomorrow at work. We get it from NAPA.

Considering fish's GPS jumped out of its velcro perch while we were on our way to the 49'er not once, but twice, I'd say it's not.

dave

KBasa said:
Considering fish's GPS jumped out of its velcro perch while we were on our way to the 49'er not once, but twice, I'd say it's not.

dave

True story. Time for the belt and suspenders approach. Hole will get drilled in the RCU shelf and zipties will be applied.

velcro?

Several years ago I discovered a variation on velcro, I believe by Scotch, called Poly-lock, ( not sure on the spelling). It was the self-adhesive, one piece, stuck-to-itself item. Some hardware stores carried it on rolls, others have it in blister pack of strips. It appears to be the same stuff that Aeroflow has for attaching the headlight protectors. Using sufficient of it, one almost needs a prybar to separate it.

Re: another option

oilhed said:
It looked like a bunch of little plastic mushrooms on a sheet. It was all the same, no "hook" or "loop." Best of all it was solid plastic, not fabric like, so it didn't soak up water.

Saw it again. It came with both my Mobil Speedpass and EZpass. Stuff is great! It's made by 3M and called Dual Lock. Great stuff!

MarkF

:jose

Last edited:
Back