• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Portable air pump and tire plugging kit

Plus one on the Cyclepump. You can get cheaper ones at the big box stores, but the Cyclepump is the best.

I like the Dynaplug kit for plugging a leak.

The fancy air pumps are nice, but pricey. You can also go down to your local WM or Target or auto parts outlet and get a plastic-cased 12v tire inflator, ditch the plastic case, and carry only the pump inside. This might cost $10.

My $19 slime pump works great, I have used it to help others, inflate new tires after changing them in a parking lot, fix 2 flats on the road. Works great, and is very compact.

Slime pump or the Airman C60A for an electric pump and I've been very happy with the Stop and GO plug kit.

Be sure and carry a very good set of pliers since at some point you need to pull the nail out. Often times the nail is broken off and flush with the tire surface so you need a very fine needle nose pliers to pull the nail out.

Secondly, if your BMW has the SAE type electric outlet,l be sure and have the adapter that is the female cigarette lighter to SAE male or the ability to clip on to your battery.

CO2 cartridges can work, but if you mess up you could end up with not enough air.

Here is the video from Stop and Go to show how it works.

http://www.stopngo.com/products/video/pocketplugger.html

+1 slime pump at Walmart.It is a small unit and cheap.Granted,its not as good as a $100 unit but it does its job well enough.
I bring a cig. adapt. and use it to fill my Big A insul.sleeping mat (I have the XL model).I am not old and feeble:gerg,it just takes too long to inflate this big thing(timed one time by a co-camper ...4min.:hungover).And it is small enough to fit under the pass. seat of my RT in its own carring case.

That's a good deal. If it had been on the market when I wanted one, at that price I would have bought it.

Advance & other parts stores have had the Slime pump on a rebate deal for $10 in the past-maybe again?

Also check out the pump they sell @ Meiers big box stores for a comparison and on the cheap pump choice. Now, if I had one of those huge retire police pensions, I might cough up $100 for a little pump!:whistle

Advance & other parts stores have had the Slime pump on a rebate deal for $10 in the past-maybe again?

Also check out the pump they sell @ Meiers big box stores for a comparison and on the cheap pump choice. Now, if I had one of those huge retire police pensions, I might cough up $100 for a little pump!:whistle

:scratch

Grams/Tire?

Anyone have a chart for how many grams of CO2 are required to fill tires of different sizes? I use CO2 inflators for my bicycles and have several CO2 "pumps", but have no idea how much CO2 or how many cartridges I would need for a motorcycle or scooter tire.

TIA,
Justin

p.s. I have an electric pump, but over the weekend I ran my Vespa's battery flat trying to top up a tire. It could have been bad had I not been near a gas station.

Used my Stop-n-Go plugger and Slime pump this morning to fix the rear tire. Started going flat on I-35 (I thought it was the wind blowing me in weird directions).

Anyone have a chart for how many grams of CO2 are required to fill tires of different sizes? I use CO2 inflators for my bicycles and have several CO2 "pumps", but have no idea how much CO2 or how many cartridges I would need for a motorcycle or scooter tire.

Three of the 12 gram cartridges brought the rear tire of the sport bike I was helping at the time to about 20 PSI... enough for him to ride very slowly the several miles to the nearest gas station. A 16 gram cartridge would have done a bit better. My emergency tire repair kit contains 6 cartridges.

p.s. I have an electric pump, but over the weekend I ran my Vespa's battery flat trying to top up a tire. It could have been bad had I not been near a gas station.

If I've got the panniers on the bike (usually) then I've got an air pump. I do not run the pump unless the engine is running.

Two electric pumps under $50

I have the Aerostich Mini Compressor, it is a great pump for the money, $45. Aerostich is also selling a Stop and Go Compressor for $35, if they had offered it when I was in the market. The Cycle Pump Air Compressor works well for a pricey $100.

Greg

My final answer

Thanks for all the great advise.
I ended up ordering a AirMan Tour compressor (based on webBike World review) and a Dyna Plug kit from Amazon.com with free shipping. I hope I never need to find out if they work, but if I do, they work well. And yes, I will test the compressor and read the instructions from the DynaPlugger kit.

Last edited:
Looking for belt and suspenders...

If I've got the panniers on the bike (usually) then I've got an air pump. I do not run the pump unless the engine is running.

I've never had a problem with my CyclePump run from the battery on my R75/6, but a Vespa P200 has a smaller battery and a MUCH weaker stater, so weak that you can't run higher than 35w headlight bulbs. With the engine running, it still ran the battery flat.

I have been through a couple of pumps and tire patching systems. The set up that has worked the best for me; this includes patching tires on the road on my VFR, GS, KTM and other folk’s bikes and airing up numerous times when changing tire pressure dual sporting is my Slime pump and string plugs with glue from the auto parts store. I recently added a Dynaplug kit but have not used it yet.

The kit that has failed me more than once, and yes, I know how to use it, is the Stop and Go tire plugger.

Back