• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Riding the dirt roads

Time?

My biggest issue is where the time comes from to get r done:(. I'm so short of it, these days. I support my DMV with all my stuff registered and it ALL takes time to fix, keep going. Now to get a "favorable" project started,hmmmm? Just how does this happen, I ask? I know:violin...Randy

Randy...When I built my 'poor-mans G/S' there were three of us working on the project building 3 duplicate frames and lengthened swing arms. The choice of front forks, engines, fuel tank seats etc. was determined by what we planned to do with them individually. I wanted a 'pack mule' but got an Impala. They were originally built to take on one place here in Texas - Big Bend. Turned out they were suitable for just about anything after that.

During the build which started in 1986, actually prior to it as well, we followed up every lead concerning other folks into similar projects. At the time we ran across maybe 10 others here in the US making similar attempts. As I recall talking to Rich - to our knowledge only two of those other builders ever finished their bikes. Time is definitely a central issue.

It was three years of planning, proto-type work, design, fabrication, scrounging parts and then the final assembly. We did drink a lot of beer while discussing the design and on one of the bikes; you can see where a couple extra Shiner's bubbled to the top....but its all good. The bikes are competitive and the three of us have shared many an adventure aboard them.

If you are interested in finding out more about them PM me some time. I'll type your ear off.

Last edited:
1124978875_Uotkr-O.jpg

hey paul - i came across this bike, currently for sale on the IBMWR. Owner name is Bill McDonald and he said you were very helpful to him when he built is bike.

here's the ad:

1975 R-90/6 GS
Custom GS conversion. very unique, looks factory built. New fork and 21" wheel. 3" lengthened swing arm, custom subframe and seat. Pirelli MT 21 knobby tires . Extra set of wheels. Crash bars. Works shocks, 12" travel. 90k + miles but runs very strong. Always garaged. She's a real horse and will go just about anywhere! Photos available.
Price: $6,000.00

Thread Hi-jack continues -

Hi Ian...

Yes, I did see the ad and figured out who it was by the location. I remember Bill and his project. He was like the third person to actually use our parts to make one for himself. The bike has the swing arm and drive coupling extension that all our bikes use which allows the builder to make use of off-the-shelf stock drive shafts. it has the same geometry at the rear with the custom Works shocks. The front end looks like Rich's Husky dirt fork ÔÇô but the ad says it has a ÔÇÿnewÔÇÖ front end - and the /6 frame has a steeper steering head angle than the /5 frames Rich and I used. He made his own sub frame and as you can see he used the stock mufflers which is a departure from the design pictured in the photo's of the other off-road machines. It also uses the complete stock wiring and headlight like Tom's bike...that big H4 is the one to have out in Big Bend after the sun goes down...I thought I had been to some dark places before but brother, the DARK lays across your path like the grand canyon out on River Road at night... He's been riding it for at least 10 - 15 years or more so I would say his work (and ours) speaks for itself. The thing I noted is how nice it looks in that trim. Makes mine look like a used garden tractor. To get an idea how tall these bikes are, look at the side stand...it has been extended about 8 inches~!

Photo: Rich (back) and Thomas pause to pose on River Road, BB.

Last edited:
knobby tires

I'm a very new rider, having purchased my '02 Dakar a year ago this past October. It came with Distanzias on it, and I promptly dropped it twice on gravel. A friend suggested using Michelin T-63s. They are considerably cheaper than TKCs and I am really pleased with them. So far, I have almost 5000 miles on them. The front is still pretty good, but I'll have to replace the rear before the spring. I have found them very good on asphalt, gravel, and in the wet stuff. I haven't done any mud or stream crossings, but for everything else they really shine.

I have those two DVDs. They are excellent. Perhaps I should say that the first is excellent, I haven't even unwrapped the second yet. I picked up a set of PivotPegz and have started standing up on them. It's coming along pretty well, but I haven't done anything aggressive to date. It is a lot easier up on the pegs than bouncing around sitting down. I have only done 40+ mph on soft gravel roads once. The pucker factor was pretty high!:)

Let me know if you want someone to do the CDR with you. If I can still get my leg over the saddle, I just might want to tag along.

Back