• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Garmin StreetPilot 2730 Repair

warthog

My 2730's digitizer screen has died and I tried contacting Garmin to see if they could repair. The Garmin service department is they no longer repair the 2730's.

Anyone know of a company repair/replacing the digitizer screens on the 2730's?

Will digitizer screens from the 26xx or 28xx series work?

I had Garmin (through Raytech in Quebec) not only accept my earlier Garmin 2710 to repair the screen but they replaced the unit with a new 2730. They have a set repair price but if not repairable they apparently will replace the unit with a new one of the closest vintage. Maybe my experience is a one off thing but I do understand that Garmin is very accommodating. - Bob

You could probably replace the whole unit for less than it would cost to repair it.

You could probably replace the whole unit for less than it would cost to repair it.

Good point I have been watching eBay and Adventure Rider for one. Just wondering if a new/replacement screen would last longer than a used unit.

Any idea of the life span of the digitizers? Seems like they are the weak point on these units.

My 2730's digitizer screen has died and I tried contacting Garmin to see if they could repair. The Garmin service department is they no longer repair the 2730's. Anyone know of a company repair/replacing the digitizer screens on the 2730's?
A used 2730 on ebay will cost you about $150 plus when you register it with Garmin they will give you a one time latest map update.

My Nuvi 660 just did the same thing. The touch screen died, and Garmain said too bad. Nice support on a 30 month old product. It turns out the don't fix them anymore because this is a real common problem and they claim they have no parts.

I found new touch screens from a guy in Hong Kong via eBay for $9 postage paid. We will see if they work in a couple weeks when (if) it shows up.

Scott

Just before x-mas I called Garmin about fixing my 2730 which died about a year prior. The touchscreen no longer worked and could not be recalibrated.

The woman gladly took my CC number for a replacement. I quickly sent it in, and just after New Years I had a replacement from Garmin. The replacement was a 2820 however. I called Garmin to say hey, whatsup? I sent a 2730 and got a 2820 back. (I'm aware the features are the same). The woman I got this day said they weren't supposed to take the 2730 back (or maybe the computer didn't say that until after they gave me a RMA number) because they were no longer doing exchanges for that model. Rather than renegging (sp?) on our deal, they sent me a 2820 from the warehouse.

Cost: $186 including tax and whatever. Still cheaper than a new unit!

I wound up buying a older StreetPilot (I think it was a 26 series with the storage card and no XM) off ebay for about $35. I opened up both units and the touch screens are almost identical. There were four screws and an 2 ribbon connections and I'm back in business.

I was originally a little hesitant but figured since Garmin was not going to fix it I would give it a try. I only involved a handful of screws, a small phillips head screw driver, and two ribbon connectors. The water proofing was two rubber gaskets - one where it breaks in half and the other around the touch screen. I have pictures if anyone is interested.

Don

Back