• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Any audio enthusiasts coming to the 2005 Rally?

In my first band, "V-O-Ts" were the holy grail. Now I us dBs and Meyers. But then I don't have to pay for them. I'm the A-3 on Mamma Mia! Las Vegas and the 2nd National Tour.

Crown, eh BB? I have one sitting on my ca. 1950 "HiFi" powering a pair of Kroks with my XM "the home version". (MacroTec that "followed me home" when we installed the LabGruppens for the show).

4430's? you would have to bring that up, I passed on a pair for $300 dollars from a defunct disco once. (And I knew they were good because I'd just reconed them!)

Mike_in_Lima. I could possibly source you a couple of woofs from the company I used to work for. They're a JBL dealer. (And recone center, so they have a lot of "spares" you might say).

dlearl said:
In my first band, "V-O-Ts" were the holy grail. Now I us dBs and Meyers. But then I don't have to pay for them. I'm the A-3 on Mamma Mia! Las Vegas and the 2nd National Tour.

Crown, eh BB? I have one sitting on my ca. 1950 "HiFi" powering a pair of Kroks with my XM "the home version". (MacroTec that "followed me home" when we installed the LabGruppens for the show).

4430's? you would have to bring that up, I passed on a pair for $300 dollars from a defunct disco once. (And I knew they were good because I'd just reconed them!)

Mike_in_Lima. I could possibly source you a couple of woofs from the company I used to work for. They're a JBL dealer. (And recone center, so they have a lot of "spares" you might say).

Ha! I knew it; scratch a few motorcyclists, and under the surface are some raging audioholics..............or something like that............
Anyway, yeah, if they have any raw frames, I can get the recones done really nicely here. These are the models that can be reconed as 2235's, with the 2225 being the next best substitute for an actual 2235 frame.
D130
K130
K140

Thanks.

dlearl said:

Hmmm I have been looking for that amplifier. I can describe it it is heavy and silver, plus has a weird plug on it.

Mamma Mia is a fun show to watch at least. I saw it up in Toronto.

The best toys are like you say, the ones you don't have to pay for, why do I have an I-Tech 8000 (4000W per channel) powering my computer speakers in the office? Cause I can :brow

Also Mike if dlearl strikes out, let me know. I can call a friend at JBL...

BradfordBenn said:
Also Mike if dlearl strikes out, let me know. I can call a friend at JBL...
Okey dokey, thanks. I see that Crown is a Harman Co. Keeps it in the family I guess. I like the Crown powered JBL 18 inch sub for club gigs. Looks nice.

Mike_In_Lima said:
What kind of music do you perform?

The last few years I have been playing string bass in an all acoustic band. In fact, I made my own pick-up for it. I have enough parts to make another one if anyone is interested. I also have a circle of friends who I record original music with. Additionally, I do an annual show known as "The Bonehead Reunion." 2005 will be the 20th. I use a single Peavey monitor and a 6 channel Peavey head in my re-hearsal room. Too many vintage guitars and amps to list reside there also. I am particularly fond of blackface Fender amps. The P.A. I used to run was all JBL and Crown, a 24.4 Mackie mixer and 2 big ol' racks of EQ, FX and processing. Still own all of the FOH, but the system is now a "small room" set up. Replaced the 24.4 mixer with a 1604VLZ.

Last edited:
Mike_In_Lima said:
Bring a guitar!
Mike, my first instrument of proficiency is electric bass. For the bassist, flexibility and versatility are the name of the game. Top shelf singing skills are a must as well. Regretably, I am NOT a highly proficient guitarist. I can get myself into trouble on guitar but I can't get myself out. Might be better if I just borrow one of yours. :brow

I worked my way through college selling audio equipment. I still have my Stax pre amp which sold for $500 in 1976. Hell now that I think about it I spent 500 on my top of the line Kenwood tuner ! I also have some custom made speakers from one of the early member of the Boston Audio Society. The woofers need to be reconed, anyone know who does this ? They are a phase corrected speaker similar to Dalhquist DQ10's except the woofer is in a sealed enclosure.

The woofers are CTS 12W19P marked 8 ohms and a number of 7634 underneath that.

Thanks for any help

woodnsteel said:
Dave, are you in I.A.T.S.E.?

Yes, absolutely. Local 720 (just out of trusteeship)
Mike-Sorry to drop off the face of the world, I had a load out to do. I'll check on those baskets tomorrow. btw, what are you powering them with? The OEM speaker has a foam surround IIRC. If you're powering them with something substantial, you can use a cloth surround and you lose a little smoothness in the low end but you get a BUNCH more thump. (But you may lose some neighbors as well!)
And I'd stay away from the D's and K's, they have a different magnet structure than the 22XX series. Yes the cone will fit, but the magnet makes them significantly different. The original paper on a D130 cone is about like a paper shopping bag. Even with the compliance of the foam surround on a 2235, the paper is so much heavier it doesn't work well. IIRC, those are OEM MI speakers. (IIRC, I reconed a few D130s with 2235s for guitar players, but then, they ARE guitar players. ;)

Hi Dave;
Thanks. I actually picked up 2235's, and they are at the reconers now, so I'm all set. Going with the foam for "factory" performance. I have a plethora of 2226's, so I am hip to the cloth accordion surround.

Power is with a variety of amps, from vintage receiver (110wpc) to noRh LeAmp, to QSC PLX 1602's and 2402's.

Colt03 said:
I worked my way through college selling audio equipment. I still have my Stax pre amp which sold for $500 in 1976. Hell now that I think about it I spent 500 on my top of the line Kenwood tuner ! I also have some custom made speakers from one of the early member of the Boston Audio Society. The woofers need to be reconed, anyone know who does this ? They are a phase corrected speaker similar to Dalhquist DQ10's except the woofer is in a sealed enclosure.

The woofers are CTS 12W19P marked 8 ohms and a number of 7634 underneath that.

Thanks for any help

Try this forum http://www.audioasylum.com/index.html and post perhaps in Speakers-General.
Also try audiokarma.org forum, perhaps.

Hey Brad think you can help me balance mysystem when you get here?

Attachments

• speakers1.jpg
    speakers1.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 98
Mike_In_Lima said:
Nice! I'm picking up some JBL 4430 enclosures this weekend. Cabs/grills/horns/crossover, no drivers. I have the HF drivers, need to find some JBL 2235 woofers, or raw frames to recone. Heard 'em?

Yo Mike have you tried an out fit in the Denver area called "Gold Sound" thats where I got my jbl2235's course that was about 18 years ago but I think they are still in busness.
Someone else wandered what tube type amp they had years ago? if you were rich or lucky they propably were Mcintosh's wish I had them. I am no longer "into audio" it's too much like computers as soon as you have state of the art equipment it no longer is.

Mike,

Thanks for the link to that site. I just found a company called Layne Audio that will recone them. I will call them later today !

I can't wait to get my old spkrs back.

Thanks again.

jdcoffman said:
Yo Mike have you tried an out fit in the Denver area called "Gold Sound" thats where I got my jbl2235's course that was about 18 years ago but I think they are still in busness.
Someone else wandered what tube type amp they had years ago? if you were rich or lucky they propably were Mcintosh's wish I had them. I am no longer "into audio" it's too much like computers as soon as you have state of the art equipment it no longer is.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I know of them. Generally it is cheaper to find some "cores" and have them reconed, and that is what I did.
I'm not into audio either, I'm into music!! (okay, I kinda like the gear. It's like motorcyclesI don't get into the "state of the art" chase because most of it is just marketing anyway. In fact, the classic JBL pro drivers are still lower distortion and better sounding than most of the newer stuff.........

MBB

Question for Bradford Benn or anyone

What would be a good place to get a Tascam D.A.T. machine repaired?

Back