• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Any audio enthusiasts coming to the 2005 Rally?

Mike_In_Lima

On most other hobby/lifestyle forums I peruse, one discovers that most of the "inhabitants" have diverse interests. A lot of the audio guys are into motorcycling, etc.
Personally, I am way deep into audio, specifically speakers, and more specifically high-efficiency types including horns and classic large format speakers like JBL studio monitors.
Just checking if anyone else relates, 'cause you never know!
Here is a website from an event I did in Lima a few years ago.

www.midwestaudiofest.com

I remain a stalwart on a couple of select audio forums.
If we share any interests, you might want to look me up while in Lima and give some of my goodies a listen................
Just a thought...................

I know that Bradford Benn works for Crown in Indiana. I have been a bar band musician most of my adult life and at one time owned a fairly elaborate P.A. system for medium to big rooms. I still own some pro audio gear but not a big room set-up.

Remember the old Altec Lansing?

I used to have an old Altec Lansing speaker in a bass reflex enclosure. The thing stood about 4' high, by 3' by 3'. When a voice came on the radio, it was startling because you thought someone was in the room talking to you. Wish I could remember the make of the old tube amplifier and preamp I used to drive it. But it was very high efficiency, and didn't need much power at all. These days I'm very happy with a system by Linn Audio, for my classical, blue grass and jazz. It's only rated at about 50W/channel, but it can rattle the walls!

:violin :wow :thumb

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Crown, eh? Now we're on the trail.............could it be that the mystery music event will be Crown powered?.................

Anyway, perhaps we should talk...............
BTW, do you happen to know John Sheerin? Just a random question.

Crown is based in Elkhart, ya?
What type of position do you have with them, if I may ask? Never mind, I saw your resume'. Interesting. At least to me!
Okay, so what speakers are you using in the HT?

Last edited:
i freelance doing audio for espn and other sports tv networks in the boston area,

i also once owned a pair of beat up old b&w speakers, hahah

dancogan said:
I used to have an old Altec Lansing speaker in a bass reflex enclosure. The thing stood about 4' high, by 3' by 3'. When a voice came on the radio, it was startling because you thought someone was in the room talking to you. Wish I could remember the make of the old tube amplifier and preamp I used to drive it. But it was very high efficiency, and didn't need much power at all. These days I'm very happy with a system by Linn Audio, for my classical, blue grass and jazz. It's only rated at about 50W/channel, but it can rattle the walls!

:violin :wow :thumb

Sounds like you had an Altec A7, perhaps. Those are cool. Look anything like this? This is a combo front-loaded horn/bass reflex cabinet.

Attachments

• A7.jpg
    A7.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
woodnsteel said:
I know that Bradford Benn works for Crown in Indiana. I have been a bar band musician most of my adult life and at one time owned a fairly elaborate P.A. system for medium to big rooms. I still own some pro audio gear but not a big room set-up.
What kind of music do you perform?

I still have a set of Altec Lansing speakers that I bought over thirty years ago. They are the "Voice Of The Theatre" speakers. There are two 15" speakers and the big horn in each cabinet. The cabinets were built by a sound engineer from Western Electric in Kansas City. I was told that at the time, they were the most efficient 15's that Altec made.

I use them almost daily, and they stilll sound as good as the day I brought them home. They are currently being powered by Onkyo.

I'll try to post two pics. The first is during their first repaint. They have been repainted two or three times.

Attachments

• Altec L VOT.jpg
    Altec L VOT.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 222
This is what they look like now.

Attachments

• DSCN0794a.JPG
    DSCN0794a.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 218
Don Warren said:
I'll try to post two pics. The first is during their first repaint. They have been repainted two or three times.

Apparently those are custom made cabinets, seemingly bass reflex and not a rear loaded horn design. I wonder what the cabinet tuning is. Those are great sounding woofers, still some of the nicest sounding ones out there.

BradfordBenn said:
JBL Studio Monitors 4410, had them for 10 years now.
Nice! I'm picking up some JBL 4430 enclosures this weekend. Cabs/grills/horns/crossover, no drivers. I have the HF drivers, need to find some JBL 2235 woofers, or raw frames to recone. Heard 'em?

Just a bit different

Mike_In_Lima said:
Sounds like you had an Altec A7, perhaps. Those are cool. Look anything like this? This is a combo front-loaded horn/bass reflex cabinet.

As I recall, the speaker was probably about 15" round, mounted in the middle of the cabinet, with an enclosure over the entire front. There was a coaxial mounted tweeter. My Dad drove to NYC to buy the whole system, in the early days of "hi-fi" sometime around maybe the mid 50's. Wish I still had it!

:)

Mike_In_Lima said:
Nice! I'm picking up some JBL 4430 enclosures this weekend. Cabs/grills/horns/crossover, no drivers. I have the HF drivers, need to find some JBL 2235 woofers, or raw frames to recone. Heard 'em?

Sorry don't know 'em off the top of my head.

Back