A while ago I found the ABS lamp flashing rapidly with the warning lamp - odd times during the ride this would start. I could shut off the bike and it would go away on restart. No problems with any of the brake system were evident. Then the warning lights stayed on longer until they were flashing and lit immediately after startup. I checked all the easy stuff and found nothing.
"Gen ON, ABS flashes at 4Hz =At least one brake circuit in residual braking function mode."
This is definitely not the case here as I proved by road testing the brakes.
As it was time to do it, I replaced all the brake fluid in both front and rear systems including all the ABS modulator bleed valves. After doing this the lights stayed off - for 30 miles. Then they came back on and now stay on all the time.
There is no sign of frayed wires. The front sensor looks fine. The reservoirs are both full. The battery voltage is excellent and the alternator puts out plenty of current. I replaced the battery about 3 months ago - the old one died basically.
I have tested the brakes repeatedly under all conditions including several times at 60 MPH. The ABS works perfectly in dirt and gravel.
To run down the scorecard to date:
1. Battery voltage is OK
2. ABS sensor gap measures ok - front and back.
3. tail light is ok - even with the Hyper Lite only 1/2 lit on 1 side it did not make any difference when I eliminated that totally.
4. handgrip is definitely clear of the lever for front brake
5. micro switches both seem to be working - I can hear them when the lever is pulled a small amount
6. brake pads look to be ample thickness.
7. fluid is above min in both reservoirs and is new fluid throughout both systems.
Any other suggestions? Now the lights light up as soon as I turn on the ignition.