• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Custom helmet inserts?

jstrube

John.
Does anybody customize helmets? I just got back from the International Motorcycle show in San Mateo & now can say that I've tried on every single helmet made... Or, so it seems. I was really excited about the Schuberth, I thought it fit better at the rally, but had the same front pressure on my head as most other helmets. I talked to the sales guy & told him I was ready to buy if he could fit me.

To give him credit, he tried a bit, he tried an XL, an XXL, and a L, sure, the XXL set down on my head, but then I had tons of side space. No good, he said, "we can't fit you" Really??? I'm ready to drop $700 & they can't fit me?

Why in the heck don't companies do a better job of making the fit changeable? Also, does anybody make a custom molded insert? I wonder why you couldn't just buy the XL size Schuberth & then make custom foam inserts to fit tighter on the sides & looser on the front??? Sure, it would probably void the DOT, but then again, wouldn't a properly fitting helmet be safer than one with gaps?

Back in the 70's, my uncle was in the Navy & made molds for fighter pilot helmets, sent them off somewhere & they made the helmet inserts to fit. I can't believe we don't do that with MC helmets today.

In searching, I found a "study" done, where they were going to try to make scans & molds for people, but it was a test market in Europe... I could find the pilot helmets custom made, but not MC helmets.

My search for a flip helmet has ended for now, I dropped the $579 for an ARAI Profile, a long oval, that the person selling them was able to custom fit to my head. They swapped out head pads & cheek pads until it was as close to perfect as they could get & I am pretty dang happy. It sits evenly around the crown of my head, no spaces, no hot spots.

I'm mostly happy, I wanted a flip, but it isn't going to happen.

When I recently replaced my Shoei (too old now, and also suffered a significant 'blow') with an HJC, I ended up needing an XXXL to properly fit my head so as not to put undue pressure on my forehead.

Of course, that being several sizes larger than what I normally wear (including, oddly enough, another model of the HJC line that I own and fits fine as an XL), the 'cheek fit' was too sloppy.

My HJC dealer (Badger Cycle of Manitowoc, WI) worked with me to patiently substitute the thickness of cheek inserts until an optimum fit was achieved. Worked out nicely.

See what an HJC dealer can do for you! :dunno

My problem isn't the cheek fit, it is the crown fit. By the time you open up the front to back so that the pressure goes away, the helmet is resting on the top of my head & the sides have over 1/2" of air space.

The ARAI dealer (Helmet Source) was at Redmond too. I tell you, the way they fit me is amazing. It is perfect. I feel equal pressure around the crown of my head, no hot spots at all, no loose spots. I'm just bummed I can't get a Schuberth to fit like that!

I've tried the HJC before, same issues as everything else. Shoei? Worst of them all for me, round as can be. I think my problem is that my Mom is Italian & my Dad German...:german

Back