• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Four main ergo differences between the GT and GTL

RTRandy

Aside from the GTL including items that you'll have to order as options when buying the GT, there are four main ergo differences.

Foot pegs: The pegs are set further back on the GT which appear about 2 or 3 inches further back than the GTL. Obviously intended to be more of a spot fit than the GTL.

Handle Bars I've never ridden an LT, but the bars are extended way back. Not sure how that works out, but perhaps some LT owners want to comment on the feel of those handle bars extending that far back. The GTL will have a similar bar set up as the LT. The GT bars however will not set back as far and may have a similar set up to the bars on the 1300GT or even an RT. So here again more forward and sport like for the GT.

Seats Can only tell by photos so far, but the GTL seat from the side view is deeper than the GT seat. The GTL seat is deeper and more U-shaped looking at the side view. The GT seat is straighter and more linear from front to back so again more of a sport set up.

Windshield Both bikes have completely different windshields. The GT windshield is considerably shorter than the GTL and narrower. .

Not sure if anyone knows how interchangeable the above parts are such as switching windshields or moving pegs forward or back. While the bikes have much overlap, the above differences dictate that you better have a clear idea of which style you want to own before you shell out a deposit. Based on the limited production, and high demand, most owners will be acquiring their K1600 by plunking down a deposit well in advance. It's just hard to discern how much of a sport feel you can get out of a GTL or how much long distance comfort you can get out of a GT. I'm sure for many the above differences pushes them further into their original choice of wanting either a luxury tourer or something more sport like.

Last edited:
It seems to me that the GTL has the ergonomic triangle of the LT, while the GT is closer to the RT.

I'd like a GTL with the GT seat/peg/bar arrangement, hold the top box, but please consider creating a standalone backrest for the passenger. I think a Ubag will fit on there just fine.

Thanks!

I'd like a GTL with the GT seat/peg/bar arrangement, hold the top box, but please consider creating a standalone backrest for the passenger. I think a Ubag will fit on there just fine.

Thanks!

Or to put it another way, I want a GT set up with a GTL windshield. I doubt it'll be like ordering Chinese food, "One from group A and two from Group B" though I can imagine someone buying both windshields to interchange for different seasonal conditions. Even that's probably a stretch unless you're rich with money to burn.

I would imagine moving of pegs forward or back would be almost impossible or super costly since there is all the linkage integrated with it as a whole system.

It might be better to sit on both bikes in a showroom for those who are on the fence between both styles.

And I sat on the GT at the Long Beach show and my immediate impression was that the riding position was nearly identical to my 12RT.

From what I gather there are optional seats that are available for each model. Some can be used on both.

Rider seat, low, 780/800 mm incl. pillion passenger seat (K 1600 GT)
Seat, single-section, 750 mm (K 1600 GT only)
Seat, single-section, 780 mm (K 1600 GT only)

Seat, high, single-section 780mm (K 1600 GTL)
Rider seat, 810/830 mm incl. pillion passenger seat (K 1600 GTL)
Rider seat, 780/800 mm incl. pillion passenger seat (K 1600 GTL)

Seat Swap - GT/GTL

I rode a GTL with GT seats installed so I imagine you could install the GTL seat on the GT.

Earlier, I had ridden a GTL with the low seat a couple of times and found it to be very uncomfortable. The GT seat transformed the ergos of the GTL to the good for me (6'1", 32" jeans inseam, 35" shirt sleeve length). Both the leg and handlebar comfort were great. I rode it with the GT seat in the high position.

The GT requires and adapter kit to be fitted with the GTL seat, which many GT owners are doing.

Four Main Ergo Differences Between the GT and the GTL

The differences between the two models are Exactly the same as the changes I made to my 2010 RT, so I know I'll need a GTL with the high seat. Russellized, of course. Left side exhaust looks like it could cook your foot, but I think that could be fixed with exhaust wrap tape. would like to hear from the few who have riden their GTL in hot weather.

I got my GTL in September and left the next day for Colorado where it was rainy and 32 to 45 degrees so the hot exhaust was not an issue. Since coming back to Texas I have not ridden in really Hot weather (meaning above 100). Will have to wait until next summer to test the heat issue.
Riding the GTL is so much more comfortable for me than the LT. No high center of gravity and not as much weight, the GTL is the absolute best riding machine I have ever owned.

Back