• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Boots and gloves.

moshaffer

I would like some opinions from present users on the Sidi Canyon as well as the Sidi On-Road boots and also opinions on the Held gloves. Can the Sidi boots be re-soled and if so by who??
Thanks, Mo

In my opinion Held is the best gloves on the planet. Pricy but well worth it.

I recently got a pair of Held Steve II gloves, I went from a pair of BMW Pro Summer gloves. I thought the BMW gloves were good (the first two years), but the Steve's are significantly better. The kangaroo leather in the palm significantly increase my feel, they are more comfortable, seem to be better made, feel cooler in heat and warmer in cold. The US distributor is based in North Carolina, I rode there from the Charlotte area and tried on a bunch of gloves, they are great people working there and it is worth a visit if in the area. As soon as I put the Steve's on I was sold.

i love my Held Steve gloves, in fact when i heard they were going to discontinue them i bought a second pair not realizing they were coming out with the "Steve II" version. i wear them in spring, summer & fall and can even use them when the temp drops into the low 40's/upper 30's in the winter if i have my hippo hands on and use my heated grips. when the temps drops to where it is too cold for the "steve" gloves i use a pair of Held "Warm and Dry" gloves. these work great and keep my hands warm (and dry) until the temp drops into the low 20's and i need to use heated gloves. at this time of the year (mid Nov.) i ride to work in the early AM with the Warm and Dry gloves and switch to the Steve gloves for my mid afternoon ride home. i have been sold on Held gloves for some time and have not found any other glove that offers the protection and comfort that i get with Held. yes they are expensive but like the old saying goes "you get what you pay for"

Held Warm and Dry gloves

I just bought a pair last month. Aside from being warm (have not used them in the rain yet), they are the nicest gloves I have ever owned (fit, form and function) and the workmanship and feel are outstanding.

Come spring I will be buying a Held air type glove for the warmer months.

I would like some opinions from present users on the Sidi Canyon as well as the Sidi On-Road boots and also opinions on the Held gloves. Can the Sidi boots be re-soled and if so by who??
Thanks, Mo

I have the Sidi Canyon's. They were a replacement for a pair of BMW Allrounds that I wore out. I wore the Canyon's on an Alaska trip this summer. They always kept my feet dry (even used them to stand in a creek fly fishing), but after wearing them all summer, I prefer how the Allrounds fit.

The Canyon's aren't built to be resoled, but a good shoe guy can grind the sole off and glue a new sole back on.

I'm in the market.

How do BOTH the Sidi and BMW boots run on fit? In other words, do you find that they are "true" to size, cut a bit small, large, etc?

I'm in the market.

How do BOTH the Sidi and BMW boots run on fit? In other words, do you find that they are "true" to size, cut a bit small, large, etc?

I found the BMW Allround's run true to size.

With the Sidi Canyon's, make sure you use the Sidi sizing chart. Don't just assume because you wear a 45 EU size in everything else, you will in a Sidi. For me, even though the length is correct, the toe box is odd. It makes my feet hurt at the end of the day.

Like all the apparel stuff, YMMV. Lot's of stuff works great for one person and terrible for someone else. I guess that's why there's so many choices.

I really like my Sidi boots! Mine fit close to their chart, maybe a bit smaller than they say. I have their 10 and wear a 9.5/D, USA size and they are a fit. I have whatever you call them, about 9" tall and have zipper and velcro.Feet are never wet. These are made from their version of synthetic leather and you just wipe them off, hose down,etc..
If you want to save some $ , go to Advrider flea mkt and keep a watch. Sometimes it seems like you need to watch 24 hrs a day as there is lots of action over there.
As to Held gloves, there are lots of gloves for less $(IMO) that will fit & do the job well!

I have their 10 and wear a 9.5/D, USA size and they are a fit.

I wear an 11.5 E and seldom find off-the-shelf boots that well. The toe-box usually fits okay but my instep is thicker than "normal" and my calves are so big that I can't wear a 10" boot without either having it custom made, or having a shoe guy split them at the back and sew in an insert (otherwise I can't lace them up all the way). I wear White's Smoke Jumpers to work in, but they aren't at all suited to riding motorcycles. "Slip-on" boots are out of the question, so these side zip features are nice to see.

I've tried on several "service boots" at the local RangeMaster, and Boot Barn, but the same issues I mentioned above won't allow me to wear them.

I guess I'm just going to have to pay special attention to the on-line dealer(s) to make sure their "return/replacement" policies would allow me to cancel a sale (as opposed to "exchange only"). I'm sure not having any luck finding anything locally to try on...

Too bad Zappos.com doesn't sell "real" motorcycle boots (Harley-style only); their shipping policy is "free" both ways; initial shipment and returns

Just ordered a pair of Sidi Canyon Gore-Tex boots with my Revzilla bucks dropping the price down considerably. I'll probably get a couple of rides in before the Ice Age hits.

I've been riding with a pair of TourMaster SC boots but have found the need for a little more support and shin protection. I also want a more substantial sole.

Not to hijack...but...how long did the Canyon's take to break in? Did anyone find the need to adjust the shifter on the RT to accommodate them?

Just ordered a pair of Sidi Canyon Gore-Tex boots with my Revzilla bucks dropping the price down considerably. I'll probably get a couple of rides in before the Ice Age hits.

I've been riding with a pair of TourMaster SC boots but have found the need for a little more support and shin protection. I also want a more substantial sole.

Not to hijack...but...how long did the Canyon's take to break in? Did anyone find the need to adjust the shifter on the RT to accommodate them?

I didn't need to adjust the shifter on my RT.

I don't recall that it took long to break-in, other than as I mentioned in an earlier post, the toe box never seemed to break in/fit for me.

I first bought the Sidi Canyons, then sold them to by the On Roads because I didn't like the look. I love the On Roads; everything about them. I usually wear either a 48 or 49 European; my On Roads are 49. The are warm, waterproof, and comfortable out of the box.

I have the On-Road boots.

I bought the close out old version, ($220.00) so there is a newer version out there than what I have.

They have been around the country on 3 trips so far. My feet never get wet. They can be a little warm in the very hot weather, but if its hot, its hot.
I have Dr Shol's gel inserts and walk around with very comfortable feet.

I would certainly buy these boots again, if they ever wear out...

They look re-sole-able, but I have not asked about it. They seem to be lasting a very long time. I have had them for 2 years now.

They are very thick leather and will never be really soft. They flex fine and shifting is no problem on the Harley and on the GS.

I feel very well protected with these.

Hope this helps.

I've worn Held Steves for years. Last week I noticed a slight tear in the leather of the palm of my left glove. Its the first indication that they're about to go after six years and 40,000+ miles. :cry

I love the Steves. They're very comfortable and provide a great feel on the grips. They're comfortable up to the mid 80s, and with heated grips down to the low 30s. I've also tested the steel rivets on the palm of my right glove with a slow speed slide, and they worked well.

For me, the Steves are my cooler weather gloves. In the Texas heat of June through September I wear Held Airs. I wear the Steves from October through April and maybe a bit of May. I suspect that if I had worn and sweated in the Steves during our hot summer months they wouldn't have lasted as long as they have. I'm also careful about not wearing them in the rain. I carry a pair of rain gloves and put them on when needed, although, I've ridden through a lot of sprinkles and splashes with the Steves and they've come through fine. Also, I've never treated them in any way.

I have no experience with the new Steve II. A couple of years ago I found a pair of Steves in my size at a great sale price at my dealership. I bought them as my replacement pair knowing full well they'd be in storage for a while. I think the dealership was trying to get rid of them because they're the "red" Steves that nobody seems to buy. Otherwise, they're the identical glove. The palm is the same cream color, but the back of the glove has a red streak. They look fine to me, and my 12GS is red, so I figured why not. Here's a pic of the "red" Steves:

Default.jpg

Even though I have a "new" pair in the wings, I have to say that I'm going to miss these Steves when, at some time this winter, they finally have to be replaced. I get attached to good gear, and this pair of Held Steves are the best gloves I've owned.

i love my Held Steve gloves, in fact when i heard they were going to discontinue them i bought a second pair not realizing they were coming out with the "Steve II" version. i wear them in spring, summer & fall and can even use them when the temp drops into the low 40's/upper 30's in the winter if i have my hippo hands on and use my heated grips. when the temps drops to where it is too cold for the "steve" gloves i use a pair of Held "Warm and Dry" gloves. these work great and keep my hands warm (and dry) until the temp drops into the low 20's and i need to use heated gloves. at this time of the year (mid Nov.) i ride to work in the early AM with the Warm and Dry gloves and switch to the Steve gloves for my mid afternoon ride home. i have been sold on Held gloves for some time and have not found any other glove that offers the protection and comfort that i get with Held. yes they are expensive but like the old saying goes "you get what you pay for"

When did you get Held warm n dry gloves as I never knew you had a pair? Are they thick like the Tourmaster Polar-tech gloves? Are the Held warm n dry gloves warmer than the Tourmaster Polar-tech gloves? I don't think Held makes Warm N Dry gloves in my size... but like to know how they are and how they are compared to Tourmaster Polar-tech gloves I have.

Thanks in advance.

Anna.......i bought the warm & dry gloves quite some time ago and actually forgot i had them. when looking around in my gear drawer recently i found them. they are not as thick as the polar-tech gloves and in my limited experience with them i don't think they will be as warm as the polar-tech either, although i am not 100% sure of this. i will wear them through out the winter and let you know if they are indeed as warm as the polar-tech's.

Anna.......i bought the warm & dry gloves quite some time ago and actually forgot i had them. when looking around in my gear drawer recently i found them. they are not as thick as the polar-tech gloves and in my limited experience with them i don't think they will be as warm as the polar-tech either, although i am not 100% sure of this. i will wear them through out the winter and let you know if they are indeed as warm as the polar-tech's.

I can't wear polar-tech as they make my right wrist hurt. I need something thinner but warm for winter is reason why I ask. I need a glove that doesn't make my wrist hurt in winter and right now Steve Held gloves are only gloves that won't make my wrist hurt. Due to my size hand, also limited on gloves I am able to get too.

Back