• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2000 r1100rt brake specs?

S

stewartr

Does anyone know the minimum thickness for r1100rt brake discs? I'm helping my dad rework a used BMW he bought and unfortunately we never met the previous owner (bank sale), and of course there weren't any service records. After finding a sizable plug repair in the rear tire, we decided it may be a good idea to check the condition of the brake system.

Maybe I'm just used to older bikes but the discs seem thin and rather uneven. I'm planning on swapping out the brake pads as well, are there any particulars or tricks I should know before I tie into this one?

I'm real comfortable working on bikes, but I wanted to check and see if there is anything I should watch out for in particular.

Thanks

I don't have the spec for the RT, but did look up the K1200LT, R1150R, and R1100S. They differed a little front from rear, and model to model but one thing was consistent on all the specs.

The difference between the unworn spec and the minimum thickness spec was .5mm

So if you measure the unworn thickness at the outside circumference of the disk and measure the thickness at the worn portion swept by the pads and find a difference greater than .5mm I would say the disk is worn below minimum.

Here are the specifics I found:

K1200LT - Front: 5mm wear to 4.5mm Rear: 7mm wear to 6.5mm

R1100S - Front: 4.5mm wear to 4mm Rear: 5mm wear to 4.5mm

R1150R - Front and Rear - 5mm wear to 4.5mm

I'd hold off on replacing the discs. That's big $$$ and it would be very unusual for them to be out of spec. Replace the pads and see if the discs are warped when you ride the bike. If not, forget about them. They're fine.

Brake specs 2000 R110RT

I have those specs from the service & repaid CD-ROM. I can't figure out how to attach the PDF file I created so PM me with your email and I'll send it to you.

Test - attachment R1100RT brake specs

I hope this works. I've attached a PDF file I created giving the brake specs for an R1100RT (mine is a 2000 RT). Another member posted a question but I wasn't sure if my attachment was going to work.

Please bear with me / us. I apologize if this annoys anyone.

Attachments

• R1100RT brake specs.pdf
    75.8 KB · Views: 48
The discs will have the minium thickness marked on them. Look on the edge of the disc and you should be able to see it.

Rears are normally around 4.5 mm but I can't recall the fronts.

Back