• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Lane Splitting Debate

jopars

K'nothead
As a long time rider and past safety instructor, I know where I stand on this issue. One hopes the projected study or studies actually can demonstrate that it's more dangerous than remaining in traffic, before they go condemning it.

Lanesplitting Debate

JP

The benefits I see from it are that motorists would become much more aware of looking for m/c's, after all it's been done in Europe for years and their numbers are not that high due to lane splitting. I would expect that there would be quite a few "sacrificial lambs" before awareness increases. Also, riding an air-cooled R-11RSL I'm unable to sit in traffic too long without overheating.

However, it would make me feel pretty goosy doing it in moving traffic. At traffic signals, it wouldn't bother me. You'd sure need to watch for the cowboy driving a dooley who opens his door to spit on the ground though!!

As with anything, or any group of people however, you are going to get the "idiots" who take advantage of the situation, and ruin it for everyone.

However, it would make me feel pretty goosy doing it in moving traffic. At traffic signals, it wouldn't bother me. You'd sure need to watch for the cowboy driving a dooley who opens his door to spit on the ground though!!

Interesting... it's just that reason why I feel more comfortable in moving traffic; much less likelihood of an open door. Here in the SF Bay Area (where it is legal) folks are mostly used to lane sharing and while there are always some who will intentionally move over to block your progress there are many more who will move the other way to give you a bit more room.

Lane splitting is a dangerous thing in the hands of an immature rider. When performed by a rider who can analyse the situation, as in...'is this REALLY a good idea'...I see no problem. It does cause some frustrations for cagers, but afterall, they are the ones causing the traffic, not motorcycles.
It's kind of awkward with a sidecar though! ;)

I just spent 3 months in California, and lane-split as much as possible.

Now back in Missouri, I miss it terribly.

i used to keep a bike in the Bay Area when i had an office there. it was very nice that the vast majority of cagers would not only accommodate lane sharing but would attempt to give you as much space as possible.

however, it was hard having two sets of habits.

if you lane share in georgia, you need to watch out for the redneck spitting chewing tobacco *on* you, not on the ground! :sick

lane sharing makes a lot of sense, but as mentioned above, it's the few idiots that push the envelope by doing it when traffic is moving that ruin it for everyone.

ian

I teach MSF with a retired CHP motor cop. He said that in all his years as a CHP he never rolled on an accident from a lane splitting bike and he rolled on many where a bike was rear ended when not lane splitting

Debate over!

Being from Alabama where splitting would get you shot or mashed in short order I have always been scared of it and swore I would never...ever try it. Well, they say you should never say never....while in the SF Bay area this summer with a group of five bikes...had we not split I am convinced we would still be there....today :laugh

But seriously I found it to be easy and most cagers were courteous and in fact gave extra room once they realized you were there. I found that with a little common sense on the rider's part mixed with some caution...it worked out well. I would do it again...out there....but NEVER in Alabama....did I just say never??? :laugh

When traffic is completely stopped or crawling, either on the freeway or on surface streets, it's AWESOME to lanesplit, but when traffic is moving, I don't do it, partly because my bike is so massive (GSA) and partly because it's somewhat nerve racking.

I've seen young guys on sportbikes lane splitting at insane speeds while traffic is flowing. THAT is insane.

And when i'm lanesplitting in stopped traffic and there's another motorcyclist BEHIND me, lanesplitting, that's REALLY nerve racking!

I recall the first time I was driving a car in OK in the 60's and was passed on the right,while going at least the speedlimit(in an XKE in my 20's so probably going fast!) on a 2 lane by another car, then found it was legal-I wonder if thats still the case there or elsewhere? In Mexico in city traffic you are expected to lane split or you will get glares and honks! This is true even when you may think you'll get squashed!
I was on I-74 after a Nascar race @ Concord and the next day at that but the traffic was jammed up and after a bit I rode slowly on the shoulder for several miles to find two geezers blocking both lanes and traffic was backed up for miles, no exaggeration! Then it happens again in a few miles and the same problem so I shoulder again and move down the road to avoid overheating issues.
I was in Baton Rouge on I-10 , during rush hour 2 yrs ago and it was bogged down to flat stopped and I rode the shoulder slowly and was able to escape after several miles and a repeat in a bit. I felt vunerable to cagers thinking I'm doing something I shouldn't, but preferable to an overheat, so I'd do it again if I had to. I always go slowly and remain especially watchful and never do it if traffic is moving at all.:ear

Nathan, I've thought about doing it oftentimes in my truck when people on cellphones block both lanes @ 10 under! LOL

I really think the police should start giving tickets for not yielding the left lane to traffic.
I'll bet that would help traffic move much better after six months of giving out "Snail-Awards".

Just in case somebody doesn't realize this: In most (if not all?) states, riding on the shoulder is blatantly illegal, unless you are an emergency vehicle or your vehicle is involved in an emergency.

Also be advised that most states (including CA) have "prima facie" laws - if you are moving faster than the "flow of traffic", that's enough cause for a LEO to detain you.

Laws about passing on the right vary... check your local listings. Sometimes they'll state it's ok if there are multiple parallel lanes moving in the same direction, sometimes it is not allowed - but there are a lot of slow folk in the #1 lane who are too ignorant to move over.

"Lane sharing" (as it is defined in California law) is something every rider should try - extensively - before ignorantly condemning it. It saves time, gas, motors, and nerves. Note that any vehicle with its engine running but the vehicle not rolling gets exactly Zero miles per gallon while still contributing to the traffic jam. Darn good reasons why it is already acceptable in Europe, but they take driving a lot more seriously than Americans do and they have a tougher time getting their license in the first place. Yes it takes a new set of skills (and cajones) and 200% situational awareness. I've had people move out of my way (modulating high beam) and I've had them purposely block me off (insert multiple colorful expletives here) or toss trash at me; this happens more in the eastern states than it does here (jealousy + simpleton sphincters). Yes there are fools on bikes, just as there are in cars (I frequently see the crotch-rocket guys wearing a full-coverage helmet and body armor, with short sleeves, shorts, and sneakers... Huh?). If a "faster" splitter is behind me, I have no qualms about letting him take point - let him wake up the cars ahead for me.

Several times, various motorcycle-rights organizations (ABATE, MRF, etc.) have tried to introduce legislation at the state levels to legalize this in more places - unfortunately, mommy and the nannycrats drive chauffeured 4-wheelers and don't appreciate our views or solutions. I seriously doubt that the author of the linked article has actually reviewed the written laws; most 4-wheeled Californians now accept that there WILL be bikes between the #1 and #2 lanes.

Once in a while I'll fall in behind a motor officer - there is just no way I can keep up with those guys!

Came over a rise on my way to the rally in TN to see 3 lanes of stopped traffic in front of me. I was doing the speed limit and didn't have ABS, so I learned to lane split in a hurry while I slowed down. Saved me from rear-ending one of the cages and from being rear-ended by the cage behind me.

All I got to add is that I'm a metro-boston "traffic is completely stopped, and immediately gets back in lane once cars start moving again" lane splitter. Even then I pick & choose those moments judiciously...

I've had people hate on me with their horns and one particular a double s hole repeatedly close the lane down intentionally and then take issue (verbally) with my decision to use the space to his left that his closure opened up. That was fun. I fell behind him and waited him out... only to watch him do it a 2nd time to another splitter. Guy clearly needed to get... :whistle

-tp

Yep, that sounds like the Massachusetts I remember. I remember the guys who had a traffic dispute going until one shot the other with a crossbow.

I simply try to avoid places where lane splitting would be of any advantage.

:laugh

Would that we could all be so lucky!

Yeah, I'd like to ride on uncrowded highways all the time, too...
...Wait a minute, I do. It's called Saskatchewan.

Did get down to California a couple of times this summer though, and ran into lots of instances of m/c lanesplitting (didn't have to do it myself, however). Since then I've been discussing it with a long time friend and past co-chief instructor of the CDN m/c safety program. He was the one who brought the article to my attention.

To me (and not speaking on behalf of any organization), to deny it is to negate one of a motorcyclist's main safety advantages; namely the ability to maneuver in more restrictive places. Having ridden in Europe (albeit quite a long time ago, though I suspect it hasn't changed),it seemed the only reason to be riding a m/c is to get out in front and get out of the way. In a legitimate debate about the motorcyclist's safety, I'm confident that I can produce an overwhelming argument in favor of the practice.

But in any legislation or enforcement of this issue, the decisions will not likely be made by m/c sympatico people, nor likely to be based on any valid supporting evidence. That a study has been commissioned to look into it, is heartening. It is disappointing to see it has already been cut considerably before it's launched, though. I'm looking forward to the study's findings, but not holding my breath.

JP

OK, then what do you feel about passing on the double yellow (when safe ;)) now that the single white line isn't even remembered by most. :whistle

Been known to do it in those states/counties that use the perpetual double yellow zones based on sight distances computed for overloaded log trucks going up hill passing old Winnebagos, or vice versa.

Back