Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Travel to Cuba- Have you been? Wanna Go?

Thumbs up Travel to Cuba- Have you been? Wanna Go?

Hopefully we can keep the politics of why out of this and just stay on the topic of Cuba.
    While I have only seen video of life in Cuba, I picture a resilient, proud and innovative people. I picture some excellent mechanics as well! I see 50's era cars still making way and some real craftsmen hand building parts for what we would consider obsolete vehicles.

Can you imagine what it will be like until the dam breaks? Like going back in time and all this looks like it will happen the "easy" way.

Go Gloria Estafan

OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

And The Buena Vista Social Club

OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I used to work with an EX-pat Cuban guy. He left in the early "80's". He showed me many photos of his home area [Havana] and some of the whole island. If it is still the same, it is a beautiful Caribbean Island. [Havana] might be a-bit more [worn]?

I admit to being curious about it ever since. I have read , here & there that with the Europeans , Canadians & others still going there..it really is decent for vacationers ?

With the US lightening up on travel....I look for the collector car crowd to [sorta] rush there for the possible auto treasures ?

One thing I have also been curious about is....why & how have we maintained a naval base there ? [Git-Mo] & why have they let us ? Why did Castro not run us off the island years ago ? Was the money spent by the navy & the sailors that much too them ?

A motorcycle magazine did a group travel there just a year or two ago. Not sure how they got around the politics ? but they did. They group all said the Cuban people were very gracious & gave them a warm welcome. The group traveled the island on motorcycles I believe all Harleys which the Cubans love.

This could become interesting...
    Ron Prior {AMA member 30+ years,MOA member 20+years}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

I will not be surprised if some entrepreneur goes to Cuba and buys up their 50s cars.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

While it will be a bit jumbled in the beginning, I can see ferry rides from Florida to the island. Seems like it would be a nice trip.
    Authentic Cubanos
    And those little Cuban coffee delights

OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I personally would love to go on a motorcycle tour of Cuba, spend some money.... Take some pictures, smoke some cigars!
    2005 R1200RT Ursula Von Reisetourer
    2001 F650 GS Gerdy Von Gelande Strasse
    BMWMOA # 143779
    "Within her imperfections there... dwells perfection in mine eyes."

Cal
    One thing I have also been curious about is....why & how have we maintained a naval base there ? [Git-Mo] & why have they let us ? Why did Castro not run us off the island years ago ? Was the money spent by the navy & the sailors that much too them ?

The old lease on the base was for the US to pay $1 million dollars in gold per year, while this has been done ie. the payment. The cuban government has never acccesed those funds as they believe the old lease was not legal,

You cannot enter Cuba from Guantanamo as far as I know.

Yes, the cuban people are warm and very accepting of americans. I went around 1992 and being from Puerto Rico it was like a time warp. Most of the old american cars I saw had junky russian engine.

Don't be shy, if you can make it go.
    Cal Garcia
    Suches, GA

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    A motorcycle magazine did a group travel there just a year or two ago. Not sure how they got around the politics ? but they did. They group all said the Cuban people were very gracious & gave them a warm welcome. The group traveled the island on motorcycles I believe all Harleys which the Cubans love.

This could become interesting...
    IIRC that article was in the ON. Relative to travel to Cuba, Canadians have been doing it for years and I believe any American can enter Cuba via a third country that allows travel to Cuba.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post

The old lease on the base was for the US to pay $1 million dollars in gold per year, while this has been done ie. the payment. The cuban government has never acccesed those funds as they believe the old lease was not legal,

You cannot enter Cuba from Guantanamo as far as I know.

Yes, the cuban people are warm and very accepting of americans. I went around 1992 and being from Puerto Rico it was like a time warp. Most of the old american cars I saw had junky russian engine.

Don't be shy, if you can make it go.
    I think we give them about $2 billion a year.
    John Simonds
    2008 R 1200 GSA
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain"t broke... fix it till it is.

Cal
    Quote Originally Posted by junkjohn View Post
    I think we give them about $2 billion a year.
    Probably,if you take into consideration the dollars sent by cubans here to their families in the island.
    Cal Garcia
    Suches, GA

What I heard on the news:
    There is a Cuban industry that produces countefeit auto parts to keep those old US cars going.
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT
    MOA-133005, RA32109, IBA #37923

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    I personally would love to go on a motorcycle tour of Cuba, spend some money.... Take some pictures, smoke some cigars!

Gotta admit that does sound like an interesting trip. Wonder how long it will be till there is an auto-ferry ? Ride the M/C down to the boarding port in Fla, board the ferry...light up a stogie and cruise to Cuba.
    Ron Prior {AMA member 30+ years,MOA member 20+years}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

I have friends who have been to Cuba- one of them went back in the 90s, they flew over from Mexico City.
    They loved it, and stayed for a couple weeks with some Army Officer I think; second stint of a couple more weeks with a transvestite hooker (or some such- so they told it) They came back and made us mojitos, first time I ever had one, it was really great! Probably about 1994 or 95.

Another much younger friend has been several times.

Both absolutely loved Cuba.
    Both say (or said, a decade or so apart from one another)
    it's over, Cuba is nowhere near as cool as it was.
    But isn't that pretty true of every place?

I'd go to Cuba in a heartbeat!
    Just being in Key West, with its strong Cubano influences.... Oh yeah.
    And that pic of the Cuban sandwich...
    Was at Cafe Habana on Prince St in NYC Tuesday, had me a Cuban sammich...
    Yum.

Bring it.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

Canadians are free to travel to Cuba and many do so to enjoy the resorts there. We went to Cuba a few years back a truly enjoyed it there. We spent a few days in Havana and found the atmosphere was very casual and generally friendly. There was however the underlying sense that people were not truly sharing their honest opinions of the political climate. This was of course when Fidel was still in the power seat not his brother.

As for the old cars, there were a few that looked to be in very nice condition, but most were cobbled and patched together to keep them running. Many of them had been converted to diesel engines robbed from Russian and European vehicles back when those were common there. Despite the imagery popular in folklore, while there were many old american cars there, the majority of cars were modern European models.

I'd like to go back before the US floodgates open up and the place gets over run with tourists.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Cuba along with several other country's will never get one penny of my income.
    Dave
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT
    V.P. BMWMOA Club 220