Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grange?

Grange?

So, continuing my "pick on Canada" series of posts..........Is it true that Canadians don't have a Grange Association ...... the Order of Patrons of Husbandry? A place for farmers to gather and eat pie and scrapple while cursing the evils of hard liquor. My Presbyterian Anglo-Saxon ancestors made sure we had something like that to ward-off fun and happiness. Did my ancestor's friends forget something as they drifted north to the land of snow?

I know you have Agricultural schools like Guelph and Waterloo...........but, why no Grange?? Is it something to do with that 5-quart gallon thing?
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175

Not a farmer, so I have no idea on the associations available to them up here.

I can tell you though our gallon has only 4 quarts, but our quarts and gallons are larger. However, we don't measure liquids in those antiquated standards any longer, we measure liquids, like our hard liquor, in liters. I can assure you that after a liter of hard liquor, there is a strong possibility of cursing.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    The 'Grange' essentially died in Canada in 1896 and IMO is politics. Canadian historical reference here: http://faculty.marianopolis.edu/c.be...ntinCanada.htm
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

I am not a Grange member, but my folks have been, 1950, and still are active. Grange is mostly social meeting and political issues to help farmers. What is the question(s) you have about them? Eugene

Quote Originally Posted by EUGENE View Post
    I am not a Grange member, but my folks have been, 1950, and still are active. Grange is mostly social meeting and political issues to help farmers. What is the question(s) you have about them? Eugene
    I recently discovered that they don't have the grange in Canada, So, when we would tell the C-brand Hamburg rally attendees to go to the Grange Bldg, they tended to stare blankly at you and say...... "Grange Bldg????" For a US person that's been to a county/state fair, that seemed like the response of a Martian.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175

I think their reaction was likely due to their not knowing where the building was located, rather not recognizing the name. You'd probably get the same response telling them their seminar was in the Historical Building. I'm pretty sure Canada has History, but without a map showing the building location or explicit directions, they would still be lost.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Ken Dittrick

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    I think their reaction was likely due to their not knowing where the building was located, rather not recognizing the name. You'd probably get the same response telling them their seminar was in the Historical Building. I'm pretty sure Canada has History, but without a map showing the building location or explicit directions, they would still be lost.
    I was standing above the fairground map with my finger on a diagram of the building............

Quote Originally Posted by bogthebasher View Post
    Ken,

Thanks for the history sites. That appears to be the explanation.

Never heard of Grange?? I grew up in the dust bowl of SK. All my family is still there, well, sort of, they are dead.
    The farmer's association you speak of was the Esso station where at lunch, everyone got together, the young-uns got our nickel for a pop and the men folk played pool and indulged in adult stuff that I was too young to understand.
    Everyday, come rain or shine, we went to the Esso station so business could be talked among the adults and I chased Wanda. She was smoking hot. She was my first kiss then her brother beat me up. After that, I gave him my nickel so I could kiss Wanda.
    Learned how to drive from that Farmer's Association meeting because I was able to reach the peddles. Couldn't see over the steering wheel but we got home just in time for them there women folk to loooooooooose it on the adult men folk.
    So Canada is better you see because we have Esso stations and lots of them.
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case)
    3xR90/6, two just sold, one for a sidecar.
    1983 K100RS for winter project, two K's sold and just acquired a very rough R80RT.

Ken Dittrick

Ah, the origin of the word "wandalust"...

And all this time I though Grange was a little town in Texas.

La Grange
    John Simonds
    2008 R 1200 GSA
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain"t broke... fix it till it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    Ah, the origin of the word "wandalust"...

And all this time I though Grange was a little town in Texas.

And we used to have Esso stations back in the day
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

I'm from the deep South and never heard of the Grange Hall. I grew up in South Louisiana in the oil patch. Those guys meeting places didn't allow any in under 18.

Excellent story on the Esso Hall. Good read this morning. Haha.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    John
    Lake Jackson, Texas

2012 K1600 GT