Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Toys from the past...They wouldn't let you have now :eek

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar

Cool Toys from the past...They wouldn't let you have now :eek

When I look at toys, and what really fascinates kids now, it makes me wonder. Back in the day we had all sorts of toys that would send, the "over-protective" into orbit. Of course this when kids were "sent outside to play" and be home the the streetlights came on was the norm.

Here is one I had, and I had the one that you could bake army figures with wires in them so they could be posed.

What did you have that now would be proclaimed "Life Threatening"? How did we survive

OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

OMG! What a great thread! I had a Creepy Crawlers set too, and spent many hours playing with it. I am an only child of the mid 50's era. I was raised on a farm way the heck out in the country, my friends were mostly boys and I found out at an early age that they were way more fun to play with than silly girls! It is a wonder any of us are still alive considering some of the things we did for fun! Kids back then made their own entertainment from catching an unsuspecting cow laying in the field, suddenly jumping on it, and hanging on for dear life, to playing in a creek or river. Of course we all had BB guns, so you can only guess how safe THAT was . Most kids now don't even go outside. Thanks for starting this thread, it's a good one.
    Gail Thorne
    G650GS
    KLR650

It was a tough year for Christmas ornaments when this bad boy showed up-

OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Chemistry sets! Including all the components of gunpowder and an alcohol burner for melting and shaping glass tubing. And the biology set with a preserved frog and scalpels for dissection.

Kids today seem to have bicycles, but don't get to use them for transportation. We rode daily to get to school, had lights to get to evening scout meetings, or deliver papers. Now Mom starts the car and takes the kids fifty feet down the driveway and idles for five minutes waiting for the school bus to take them the remaining mile to school. The schools don't seem to even have bike racks anymore.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

My dad groused because I had it soft since I just had to walk to school but didn't have to walk behind a team of mules to plow, or cut and rake hay.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Not a toy specifically, but I had a portable record player that had a metal tone arm and we'd take this out to the patio to play records in the summer. Problem was it was not a grounded plug, nor like today did it have a polarized plug. So, sometimes when you plugged it in the tone arm was on the neutral size of the AC, and sometimes the live side. When plugged in so the chassis of the unit was connected to the live side rather than the neutral we would get shocked if we were sitting on the patio stones changing the record. Didn't think twice about it, we'd get a piece of wood to move the tone arm instead... Of course when I got to high school and took the electrical classes it all became clear what has happening. Then I just marked the plug with a marker that said UP so we could use it safely outside...
    Dave...
    ----------------
    15 R1200 RT
    83 XN85 D Turbo

Living in VA there were always Civil War replica desktop cannons for sale at the tourist shops. We'd drill a hole for a fuse, pack the barrel with match heads or powder from blank ammo we'd find on the local Army post and use a marble or ball bearing as the projectile. They were quite powerful, and dangerous as well. It was common for there to be a catastrophic failure of the barrel since they were made of pot metal.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Living in VA there were always Civil War replica desktop cannons for sale at the tourist shops. We'd drill a hole for a fuse, pack the barrel with match heads or powder from blank ammo we'd find on the local Army post and use a marble or ball bearing as the projectile. They were quite powerful, and dangerous as well. It was common for there to be a catastrophic failure of the barrel since they were made of pot metal.
    Sort of like stacking beer cans and adding a little lighter fluid and sticking a tennis ball in the end?

OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Talking

Next to school was a silk mill. The mill was just 8 to 10 feet, off of the play ground. The ladies at the mill would throw us the spindles after the silk thread was use, the were to be recycled.

But the older boy found out the made great PEA shooter.

When the pea hit, on bare shin it stung, like H???.

Just thinking what would happen now.
    MT helmet
    [COLOR=Red]NO ONE ELSE ADMITS IT[FONT=Courier New]

Potatoe cannon. Nuff said.
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case)
    3xR90/6, one running most excellent, two for restoration.
    1983(?) K100RS for winter project, 1986 K75S(the beutch)sold, 1993 K1100RS (blown engine)sold,

Forget the Cap Pistol.....dropping a brick on a box or two of Caps was WAY more fun. No wonder I can't hear all that well! Lighting them was fun too. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Daisy RedRyder BB gun that was replaced with a .22 rifle when I turned ten, M-80 firecrackers. Is the Wham-Oh Superball still around? Those suckers would bounce forever in a gym but always brought tears when someone had it bounce off their head... But then, when I was ten I was driving an A Farmall field tractor with a sickle mower and a side delivery rake pulled behind. By twelve that had become a diesel tractor with four-bottom plow and a pony drill behind. Do that with your kids today and it'd be a toss up between the Dept of Labor and the state DCFS crew to see who'd have your butt first. Personally, tho, I still think a season of farm or ranch work would be a beneficial experience for a lot of today's youth.
    Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 K100RS (r.i.p.) -- 1995 R1100RSL (gone, never forgotten) -- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT

Lived close to a spur of the Long Island RR. We would find those little bombs they strapped onto tracks as signals. We of course made our own bombs out of those. Also had real firecrackers, M80 "ashcans." We also made match-head bombs and rockets out of various concoctions. It's a wonder I still have all my pieces/parts.

Harry

You guys a making me proud
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

How about ink bottle hand grenades or bicycle spoke guns?
    Ron

91 K75RT ABS