• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

HJC Sy-Max II

Ok,took hour ride down some twisties and some 70mph highway staights.
Weather was sunny and gusty.
I loved the internal sun visor,I was able to ride with the shield up and the visor all the way down.My eyes did not water at all doing 70+ at 55deg.This is going to be a great feature on HOT summer days. As for noise do NOT open chin vent,as soon as I opened it the noise created was like a volcano rumbling.For general noise caused by the helmet-well its hard to tell yet,just too much buffeting in all directions to get an honest opinion yet.
The padding in this helmet is great.When compaired to my Nolan 100e the HJC is down right cushie.Granted, a hour ride is not much to go on but I had no HOT spots anywhere on my head.
So far so good.

My girlfriend and I each have owned the HJC IS-MAX for two years now. She loves hers. Mine irritates the lobe of my ears after a couple of hours. The irritation gets worse as the day wears on. Two large screws hold the shield system on. One felll out of my girlfriends helmet at just about the thousand mile mark. As our luck would have it we were within a few miles of the powersports store where we purchased them only a few weeks before. They were open and provided us with the needed scew. Checked mine and both were very loose. Checked the owners manual and was instructed to check screws on a regular basis.

We ride an R1100RT. I almost always ride with the shield in the up position. But once in a while I remove the shield and stick it in my tankbag. I noticed there is less noise. Must be a bit of air coming over the top of the windshield and cathing the viser when lifted in the up position.

Mark

The SY-Max and IS-Max are two different helmets. Also, the new SY-Max is the II.

The latter is a great helmet. I had an original SY-Max and replaced it in less than three years, since the sun visor mechanism jammed. Then I got the II. It is vastly superior to the original SY-Max.

New update.Took an afternoon ride with some co-riders yesterday.Temps in the high 40s to low 50s ,marginal wind at times...and a blue sky.
We spent 2 hours on back road twisties from 35-75mph to Potosi ,then I took 4 laners back home (do not ask the speed...I was late).I will usually wear my ear buds that have a type of memory foam for the cushion while listening to music.If I get too zoned on the music I will pause it or stop and put on my ear plugs.That said,I spent the whole ride with quiet music playing in the backgrd.This helmet is quieter than my Nolan.There is of course more noise than my standard full face,but after all that riding with the music on or muted once off the bike standing in my garage,I felt no different than if I had just stepped out of my car.Well,one difference...the big fat smile on my face.
This bike is not ready yet to be put to bed for winter.:thumb

CLMax here, many smiles:)

The 3X HJCs are only in the CLMax models and I have a big head. They fit nicely. My previous Arai at 600$ had nothing over this 160$ HJC:). I smile thinking about it. Two years now with HJC and not likely to change, as I shop a new CLMax this day. I TESTED, severely some would say, my CLMax last Summer as I had washed the helmet with my garden hose, some soap and left it to dry on my pickup tailgate in the sun. See whats happening here already? Yard chores prevailed and I had to run for some lunch come noonish. Jumped in my truck, drove off with helmet on tailgate and it came off at speed somewhere in route. I found it the next day after much searching, in the high brush alongside my rural country road near my home. Some "critters" probably thought a neat home for the night I thought, but I was gald to have found it. Brushed her off, cleaned all up again with many scratches now from this mishap, but i'm still wearing it and will buy another soon. It is a polycarbonate material, which is much lighter than the other fibreglass helmets and i know nothing more, but have had many flip helmets and this one is most comfy at 3X:). HJC wins. I think its a Shoei owned company? Randy

Back