• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Adding TPM to an '06 K12GT?

robday

Hi folks-
I've been digging around on several forums (this one, k-bikes.com, BMWLT, etc.) looking for info on adding tire pressure monitoring to my '06 GT.
I'm getting conflicting info. Some say it can't be done (actually, that their BMW dealer refuses to do it) and some say it's pretty easy.

Does anyone here have experience with this addition? I'm assuming that it's not a simple valve stem swap, and that the wheels will need to be rebalanced afterwards.

I'd love to hear the experiences of those who have added this option after purchase.

Thanks,
Rob

Rob - if you are thinking about OEM TPM you are probably out of luck,

The reason is computer and software - both of which BMW will unlikely provide.

If you are looking at the aftermarket - there are several options available.

What they usually consist of is a special valve stem with a pressure circuit and transmitter with a reciever section which mounts on the dash or handlebar.

The pressure is detected by the device and transmits the signal to the receiver which displays it usually in PSI.

You need to break down the wheel and install it sensor/transmitter assembly.

Yes it will have to be rebalanced.

Good replies, thanks!

Has anyone added the stock TPM to a GT? There is a page on the onboard computer for the data, but it only shows the dotted lines.
IIRC, the TPM and ASC were part of the "safety package" option. I'm wondering if I can purchase the needed parts and install them. I'm not opposed to doing the work (I actually like it), but am concerned about the price.

I had read on another forum that one owner claimed that the addition of the ASC was a $400 job at a dealer. If this is the case (with the ASC), then I would guess that the parts would be something like $150-$200, the rest labor.
But in that same thread, it was mentioned that the dealership would absolutely not add the TPM. And it made me wonder why?

As much as I like the aftermarket products, I would really prefer to have the BMW TPM if possible. And the ASC would be nice if possible.
I'm going to poke around at a dealership and see what the techs say about it. Since the bike is long out of warranty, I'm not worried about that either. They may also have a policy prohibiting the sale of this stuff to a consumer (to avoid future litigation), and I guess I can understand that.

If it turns out that it can be done, I might look for a wrecked GT to scavenge the necessary parts from. But that's a last resort, and these systems aren't something I absolutely need...I just want them.

Thanks again for the aftermarket replies, there is every possibility that I'll go that route if I end up lost in my other efforts.
R.

Problem solved...

The '06 GT is gone, and I picked up an '08.
It has ASC and TPM.
Thanks for the advice!

Back