• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mexico Ride Partner?

kantuckid

Looking for a possible ride partner for Mexico trip this winter/early spring. I've been before and will go again, partner or not, but the idea of a ride partner that's a good fit has always interested me. I like riding alone, but enjoy an English speaking person for the evening sit down,etc. I like riding alone,but two make for a bit safer trip. I like riding alone, but the room is cheaper split two ways.Bottom line is-it's hard to find ride partners where it all comes together, but I'm willing to try,thus this thread.
You need to have a month or so of time or it wont work.You need to have your "kitchen pass in order too"! I am somewhat flexible on entry point or timing of trip.I could be real flexible as I'm retired, but family first at holiday time. I ride R1150R on road only. I ride fast & long in USA when needed ,but Mexico is different(no really fast and no nighttime riding) and I do like to "smell the roses"! That means that, see how far you can go in a day and passing up historical stuff and special things to do is out of the question. Also out is not being willing to spend the night in interesting colonial towns.I do not stay in pricey hotels and I don't camp in Mexico.While there are places it works OK down there, most places I would not and so the space for that gear is dear.
Intentions for this trip down: Visit Copper Canyon for several days,Visit the DF/Mexico City(I have a guide already so it's safe!),Chiapas, Belize and Guatemala, maybe Carribean side too.
Lets talk if you have interest.Currently leaning toward late Feb/March departure

Current plan is to depart eastern KY on 2/28/11 for TX entry point.

Last edited:
Voni, while I won't be travelling with that group, it is one heck of an information source! Truth is, some of those hotels are waaay above what I stay in in Mexico. When not with my wife, that is,HA! Thanks!

For those that like to read bike adventure travel stuff,I just got done reading www.burrohas3wheels.com which has an interesting write up about the subject : "is Mexico safe?" .
Hitting the Copper Canyon when the weather is the best is one thing I'm researching right now. Another is adjusting my rides in the area to accomodate the bike I'll be on, while not missing out on any more than I have to. I hope to make up the difference with my hiking boots. That dirt road shown in the pics is not exactly an 1150R pathway .

Zero response here,so I'm going to give this idea a bump & "stir the pot a bit". For all the riders on this site , there must be far fewer than on Advrider that go to Mexico! Must be a different sort of group? Please don't respond with how many people have died in Juarez this past year, as I will not be going there.

Zero response here,so I'm going to give this idea a bump & "stir the pot a bit". For all the riders on this site , there must be far fewer than on Advrider that go to Mexico! Must be a different sort of group? Please don't respond with how many people have died in Juarez this past year, as I will not be going there.

I was thinking about it . I Saw your post , you went last year right? I've been 3 times on a bike 1991,92,93 its been a while since I rode in Mex. We never had a problem. I went in I think at Reynosa then Ciudad Victoria, San Luis, Guanajuato,Morelia Patzcuaro,Zihuatanejo. and a few more towns in between. I rode a Kaw Concours back then. Now I ride either my 1977 R100 or my K1300 GT. Is the gas any better? They had a grade called Magna sin back then I had a little ping now and then in the engine but not bad. They told me back then that the drug thing was bad and I'd never make it back alive lol, but I guess I did. Is it as bad now as they say? I'd like to hear more if you have a plan . My time is kinda limited 7 to 10 days . This bad word called work lol I'm located in southwestern lower Mi. Tim

Mexico

I went down to Zacatecas summer before last. Studied Spanish, lived with a family, etc. Rode an 1100 GS on paved roads - mostly two lane. Zero problems, great roads, people, gas was good, food, places I stayed everything. I live about 30 miles north of the border - Nogales AZ. If you are just reasonable, you should have a wonderful time. Contact me for any specifics or questions. Also, Iron Horse motorcycles is in Tucson.

Glenn
BMWGlenn at gmail dot com

I'd love to do this - but like Timfro, I can only spare about a week's time as I have to work as well.

If anyone is from our area (OH-KY-IN-MI-IL) is going to do a 10 day or less trip in 2011 to Mexico, please let me know.

Missed Thread

Sounds like a very interesting trip. Are you still going? Went three months last summer, up from Houston through Maine, and across Canada to the Rockies, then a zig-zag route back home.

Mexico sounds more adventurous yet. A primary concern would be whether the personality mix would work. Mexico does excite the imagination, since it has been several decades since I have been even on a border town, and since the Embassy warnings of violence due to the drug trade.

Can you say more about your plans?

I'll share some thoughts in regard to the above posts. As to time to go, unless you have more time than stated it simply isn't worth going to Mexico. From my home in Eastern KY it is a 3 day ride to McAllen,TX. Thats doing ~500k per day. Taht takes care of the first 6 days , so with the time left why go? I guess you can wait for "your time", as I can relate to having worked all my life and we also were very much involved with raising 3 sons too.
I have been down there on a fly & drive with my wife until just last night for 8 days. As to the safety thing-It is a fact that there are very serious problems in Mexico from the narco bad guys. Just because you go there and have a great time will not negate that fact.There are plenty of those who choose to ignore the reality of the violence there.Having a grasp of where it is located is pretty valuable to have a good trip and get back home, etc.. As an example, I have a contact(American has lived there 10 yrs) in the DF (Mexico City), that rides and chose not to go to Guatemala recently, based on an increase in violence from the ZETA's there. This subject gets far more specific attention on the Advrider website and there are Mexico "safety threads" there with over 100,000 views! The range of opinions is wide. My 2cents is that the problems are limited to a few certain areas near certain border areas; Acapulco to some extent and parts of the Sierra Madre mtns where the crap is grown & processed. Obviously the root of the problem is here @ mine & your doorsteps,i.e., the users are in the USA.
Smart Mexico travels require that you avoid any night riding, park your bike under wraps at night and don't go where you don't belong.
I went down last year with my wife on a fly & drive, not my bike & we go there most years . I have been there twice on my bike for a total of 12,000 miles and last time in 2009, I was in Oaxaca for Spanish school & stayed with a Mexican family. It is an amazing place to go and to ride, with the people equally amazing!!!
Based on what I have read from people that go often & also many who live near the border in various towns on either side, I will enter only at certain places until the violence subsides. I am thinking I have a ride partner lined up for this years ride via the Advrider website. He is from B.C., a BMW rider,has been before and like me, retired and has the time. This will be around a 1 month ride. While it is possible to ride 5-600 mile days in the USA with ease, in Mexico travel is best done with 2-300 mile days at best and of course varies with the # of stops for views and activities. $ goes farther for food and lodging unless you stay where the rich hang out. Pemex Magna runs my R1150R just fine and is priced OK too. I have never had nor read much about gas quality issues in Mexico, the exception would be some gas from loose containers that dirt riders buy in the boonies.
Let me know if you have a month to spare and we can talk(in case my other guy changes his dates or plans) or, if you have questions, etc., r.e., Mexico travel. I don't propose to be an expert but am in fact experienced down there.
Yesterday we were eating breakfast on the Carribean(NOT IN CACUN!) and now its watch it snow time again... Had to get a hamburger fix after the airport last night!

Sounds like a very interesting trip. Are you still going? Went three months last summer, up from Houston through Maine, and across Canada to the Rockies, then a zig-zag route back home.

Mexico sounds more adventurous yet. A primary concern would be whether the personality mix would work. Mexico does excite the imagination, since it has been several decades since I have been even on a border town, and since the Embassy warnings of violence due to the drug trade.

Can you say more about your plans?
Greg, read my recent post.
You're so right about the ride partner thing and of course many tour alone for those reasons. The advantages of a partner are also obvious, to include: safety,$$$,and somebody to hang out with(english speaker,etc.) in the evening. My partner the first time was a great guy, but a miles freak and little interest in historical stuff etc., and into his ride blog past my supper time, etc., so I chose to split with him amicably in Chiapas. He rode on to Panama at a record setting pace while I was able to smell the roses over much of Mexico while also taking pictures and lots more.My 2nd trip I rode alone and enjoyed it , but better IF you can find a good fit in a partner. I have a good hotel list that comes from a Canadian thats been there many times. It is adventourous and the riding is absolutely amazing as there are mountains & more mtns!!!
The embassy warnings aside, Advrider and also Horizons Unlimited are THE PLACE! for info.. Most border towns are unfortunately armpit places and also the location of the Narco bad stuff. The guy from B.C , That I may go down with, has suggested Eagle Pass,TX as an entry and it appears to be a safe one and easy entry too-some being busy with lines of waiting, plus other have the bad stuff lately.
We are going to the Copper Canyon area first, then sort of agreed on Guanajauto,Zacatecas, Mexico City,Oaxaca and a few other places.There is a rally near Toluca that I need to read more about-a typical camp and ride type like here-but the Mexicans know how to party too. There is a ride to a volcano as part of that one. What with ZETA activity in GT I may want to avoid there and as was originally thinking and also Belize was on my list. Share your thoughts further. PM me for email contact to reduce the junk.1 Month is about the extent of my kitchen pass. Seems like I used your route around Houston?Mike

I'd love to do this - but like Timfro, I can only spare about a week's time as I have to work as well.

If anyone is from our area (OH-KY-IN-MI-IL) is going to do a 10 day or less trip in 2011 to Mexico, please let me know.
We are close to each other(4.5 hrs) & as I've stated it is 6 of your days just getting there & back. I can suggest places to ride there in the northern part , but maybe needs to go on your bucket list for retirement.

I was thinking about it . I Saw your post , you went last year right? I've been 3 times on a bike 1991,92,93 its been a while since I rode in Mex. We never had a problem. I went in I think at Reynosa then Ciudad Victoria, San Luis, Guanajuato,Morelia Patzcuaro,Zihuatanejo. and a few more towns in between. I rode a Kaw Concours back then. Now I ride either my 1977 R100 or my K1300 GT. Is the gas any better? They had a grade called Magna sin back then I had a little ping now and then in the engine but not bad. They told me back then that the drug thing was bad and I'd never make it back alive lol, but I guess I did. Is it as bad now as they say? I'd like to hear more if you have a plan . My time is kinda limited 7 to 10 days . This bad word called work lol I'm located in southwestern lower Mi. Tim
Magna & Premium and as I've said Magana runs great. If I don't make it back this time, tell everyone what a great place to ride it still is! See my references to the safety issue. Time is one of my greatest assets & health & family are the others. It is, in fact a cheap place to travel.

kantuckid, I am pretty versatile in traveling style (well, I think so anyway). Could be a nice trip, but now that you have a traveling partner from BC, I wonder if three can travel as well as two? I sent you a PM.

Maybe we can hookup for some rallies in the future?:D

kantuckid, I am pretty versatile in traveling style (well, I think so anyway). Could be a nice trip, but now that you have a traveling partner from BC, I wonder if three can travel as well as two? I sent you a PM.

Greg, I am open to three & will talk to the other guy soon-PM sent. I wonder the same thing as to 3 riders on a long trip. My wife & I (after 40 yrs) make it work but even we have to make the effort at times-compromise is key the word, I think.

We are close to each other(4.5 hrs) & as I've stated it is 6 of your days just getting there & back. I can suggest places to ride there in the northern part , but maybe needs to go on your bucket list for retirement.

You're probably right. At least I have 20 years to plan for it.:doh

I like Mexico too, but

I'm probably going to get flak over this but I'll say it anyway. It's not a good time to go to Mexico, especially riding or driving from the border. I began riding Mexico in the mid seventies. I have circmnavigated it and crisscrossed it and besides being stopped by federal soliders close to Purto Escondito on the South coast, I have never had any trouble down there. But this is a different time and the drug cartels are not the only problem. They may have started it but now the everyday jose's are getting in on the act. The economy of course is the problem for them. The ones they are targeting are the Americans that come down for a good time, especially the ones with $$ on them and it's not hard to figure out who they are. If you are an American and you are in the interior of Mexico then you are a target. When the Americans get hurt or killed in the process of being robbed then the drug cartels are being blamed which Jose is counting on. Don't get me wrong the drug cartels are not angels but they are not targeting the tourist, they are killing each other and fighing for turf. By the way this info comes from my brother, a retired Federal Customs Agent who was agent in charge of the South Texas region and his daugther who is now with Customs in Laredo, Texas. With all that said, I hope you have a safe ride and let us chicken livers here about it when you get back.

No flak from me, this IS the USA after all, & opinions are available to be spoken, by us all. I consider myself a very well informed traveler and find the "poor economy" a bit comical. I first went to Mexico as a child in 1954, 2nd time in 1956 and many times since then and it was and is very poor, so that argument is worn out. I'm certain that the amount of USA derived employment $'s have gone way down as our economy has faltered. I will ad that I saw plenty of Mexicans working in FL the past two weeks and they still work @ the sawmills here in KY. I live in one of the poorest parts of this whole country and they are working here because some of the locals will not! Truth be known, there are many Americans that have no idea just how poor it is in certain parts of the USA. That means that there is $ to be made here , even in the poorest locales.But, thats another subject!
If you want to catch up on Mexico, go to Advrider or Horizons Unlimited and it will keep you entertained for hours, days, whatever your limit might be on world travel, Mexico being much discussed. I have a contact/American in the DF, and he will tell you that several of the border spots and a few others have become less than desirable places to be safe. He cringes when his work takes him to those spots-those spots! That doesn't mean all the rest is a zoo, nor does it negate the need to follow the rules for staying safe there and other places around the world. I used to cross @ McAllen and choose not to go there for now. I also will offer that worn out saying that there are places in the USA that I choose not to travel. While in FL I took a quick look @ the crime page of the newspaper & it would be national stuff were it happening on the border now, but back page material otherwise.
Mexico & our border areas have some very serious problems and just because I'm able to go down there and have agreat time will not fix the problem. I alos see that attitude on the sites I mentioned that one persons experience is the reality-not so! I am 67 and plan to enjoy my Mexico ride as my health is good, the ride is cheap and the weather & scenery are delightful down there, as you well know. I could stay home and work in the shop until spring too, but I think I'll take a ride. My retirement years will not be held hostage to your choice to stay put. So, I don't guess you want to go?:wave

Back