• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The Selection of Rally Sites.

sorry, just saw this thread.

Maggie Valley, NC would be a place where something like this can happen. there are cruiser conventions of various ilk that currently take over the place now. i think those people would LOVE a quiet motorcycle meet. :nod

Since our house is near there, I've looked at Maggie Valley in this vein. there are plusses and minuses, i think a rally there would not be exactly the same as what we've come to expect.

on edit: but that doesn't mean it isn't worth considering.

ian

I LOVE Maggie Valley! It is a fantastic area.
We used to take family vacations at Cataloochee Ranch and have been back a couple of times with my kids.
From the BRP to Cherokee and Asheville, the surrounding area of southwestern NC has great roads and attractions. I'd really need a full week to even make a dent in the variety of things to do.

Hey Ian - It was great to meet you in Bloomsburg!

+1 on Maggie. Went on the Blueridge this spring. What a great time. Wonderful roads, fantastic views and nice folks.

Depends on who you talk to.

I camped at the campus, walked to the beer tent (both before and after it blew down and was put back up), rode downtown to the convention center for seminars and vendor stuff, and had a thoroughly good time.

Folks who stayed in the motels or camped down by the homeless settlement were remote from the beer garden - but that is true for motel visitors often when the beer is at the fairgrounds and the motel is the next town away.

The shuttle bus service didn't work as promised because management forgot to talk to the union and after a certain length of time the drivers parked the busses and quit driving.

So there was a lot of grumbling, shouting, and general intimidation of the Board by some members, and the Board generally heard only that side of the issues. That was to the detriment of BMW MOA because it made folks afraid to break out of the traditional fairgrounds/camping in the mud model for the rally.

I think there were a few major issues with Charleston.

First the buses were not handled properly, there weren't enough and they didn't run enough hours of the day. As someone who was on the board we were lead to believe this would not be an issue. There was quite a debate on this point as some felt during the day most folks would ride back and forth.

The second is that there were three different camping locations and rally central in the convention center, yet there were two rally chairs and no individuals with any responsibility or authority to take care of the needs at each of the camping sites.

As a volunteer is was very frustrating to hear requests on the radio for *somebody* to please find *somebody* to get the porta potties serviced.

Ultimately the rally is an exercise in logistics and planning. The single site model works so well because it's what we've been doing.

There is no reason why a venue similar to Charleston couldn't work again, although I admit that personally I prefer a single site. I like to set up my camp, park my bike and walk around, rather than take a bus or ride to visit the vendors or check out a seminar.

From what I have heard from RA board members, the invitation to return to Biltmore has been put out to BMWRA. I know that a MOA National would not fit into the Estate, but there are motorcycle supporters in the Asheville government and the business community. It seems the Asheville community is open for motorcycle events and the money it brings in.

i have worked at length with the asheville convention and visitors bureau guy, who is an MOA member btw, and there is no joy for us there.

a couple years before the RA event at biltmore, i approached biltmore because BMW had planned and then canceled an event there. hey, at least they would consider a motorcycle event! the conversation was going well until i mentioned 9-10,000 people. (i personally think the venue could handle that, but it lacks for exhibit space, showers, and other important rally facility requirements that would require expensive tents and trailers).

the Asheville fairground that i *think* everyone is talking about is the venue south of town near the airport. that was visited and reported on 5-6 years ago. camping is *right* on I-26 and not enough air conditioned exhibit space. this place could be a possibility if/when they upgrade the facility.

i have two other *secret* destinations in the same area that i am working on... slowwwwly. need to politic my way in to the town council and get past the beer issues on one of the places, working to see how much the cost will be to meet our exhibit space requirements on the other.

i still think maggie valley is worth a look. it is not so much a split venue like charleston, because one could walk to just about anywhere there. the location would easily accommodate a shuttle service. there are so many funky little mom and pop motels there, tons of restaurants, a little tight on exhibit space and closing ceremonies would be outdoors, but a very rider-friendly community who would welcome our event with open arms.

ian

i have worked at length with the Asheville convention and visitors bureau guy, who is an MOA member btw, and there is no joy for us there.

a couple years before the RA event at biltmore, i approached biltmore because BMW had planned and then canceled an event there. hey, at least they would consider a motorcycle event! the conversation was going well until i mentioned 9-10,000 people. (i personally think the venue could handle that, but it lacks for exhibit space, showers, and other important rally facility requirements that would require expensive tents and trailers).

the Asheville fairground that i *think* everyone is talking about is the venue south of town near the airport. that was visited and reported on 5-6 years ago. camping is *right* on I-26 and not enough air conditioned exhibit space. this place could be a possibility if/when they upgrade the facility.

i have two other *secret* destinations in the same area that i am working on... slowwwwly. need to politic my way in to the town council and get past the beer issues on one of the places, working to see how much the cost will be to meet our exhibit space requirements on the other.

i still think Maggie valley is worth a look. it is not so much a split venue like charleston, because one could walk to just about anywhere there. the location would easily accommodate a shuttle service. there are so many funky little mom and pop motels there, tons of restaurants, a little tight on exhibit space and closing ceremonies would be outdoors, but a very rider-friendly community who would welcome our event with open arms.

ian

I've done two shows this past year at the location across from the Airport outside of Asheville. They abosulotly have enough room for an inside vending area this past year and their adding a considerable amount for next year. I would think the big problem there would be tent camping, the majority of the area is pretty much a hard surface, stone or asphalt.
I also have done an HD show in Maggie Valley and I spent a week there this past May. I really don't know of a location that could handle an MOA national. There's the field in the middle of town that has a stage. It could hold 3-4k people, maybe. Where would you shuttle people to? I'm unaware of any indoor location for vendors. Is there one? Also the promoter that does the HD rally there has had big problems with the town supervisors. I have no idea if he's the problem or the town.

Promoter problem?

I don't think the promoter was a problem or even the HD riders but I do believe the problem was the noise of the bikes. As most people know towns are getting tired of the noise more than anything else at the HD rallies and there are at least three HD rallies in MV or Cherokee every year and I would imagine it is starting to wear a bit thin. I personally have found the HD rallies in MV fairly accepable when campared to HD rallies at other sites. Look at Myrtle Beach!! All though the merchants are all in faovur of the rallies and MV and the surrounding area is very motorcycle friendly, I doubt if one could find a better place to bike in anywhere in the US, you have to remember that a lot of the citizens aren't merchants and you don't want to try to explain the trickle down effect.
When the MOA gets a venue in the Asheville-MV area I'll be one of the first to sign up.:)
Mo

I don't think the promoter was a problem or even the HD riders but I do believe the problem was the noise of the bikes. As most people know towns are getting tired of the noise more than anything else at the HD rallies and there are at least three HD rallies in MV or Cherokee every year and I would imagine it is starting to wear a bit thin. I personally have found the HD rallies in MV fairly accepable when campared to HD rallies at other sites. Look at Myrtle Beach!! All though the merchants are all in faovur of the rallies and MV and the surrounding area is very motorcycle friendly, I doubt if one could find a better place to bike in anywhere in the US, you have to remember that a lot of the citizens aren't merchants and you don't want to try to explain the trickle down effect.
When the MOA gets a venue in the Asheville-MV area I'll be one of the first to sign up.:)
Mo
I don't remember noise being the issue at least the promoter never mentioned it but it could have been an issue with the residents.
Is there a place in Maggie Valley that can host 8-10K in attendance? Is there an indoor venue with A/C for vendors and seminars? I've only been a visitor there so I might have missed it. I just can't recall anything besides the area I mentioned in my previous posting.

I've done two shows this past year at the location across from the Airport outside of Asheville. They abosulotly have enough room for an inside vending area this past year and their adding a considerable amount for next year. I would think the big problem there would be tent camping, the majority of the area is pretty much a hard surface, stone or asphalt.

Is the covered exhibit space at the NC Ag Center now air conditioned? It was open air when I visited a couple years ago.

There is grass for camping, but it is backed up against I-26. But you're right, most of the flat space for camping is hard-pack or gravel.

I also have done an HD show in Maggie Valley and I spent a week there this past May. I really don't know of a location that could handle an MOA national. There's the field in the middle of town that has a stage. It could hold 3-4k people, maybe. Where would you shuttle people to? I'm unaware of any indoor location for vendors. Is there one? Also the promoter that does the HD rally there has had big problems with the town supervisors. I have no idea if he's the problem or the town.

The shuttle would run up and down Soco Road (US19), along all the motels, campgrounds and restaurants.

The heart of the event would be the Maggie Valley Festival Grounds, the "field in the middle of town" you mentioned. it is secure, flat, grassy and has enough room for tent camping.

While there are some large buildings that could possibly be rented, I believe that it would be best for the vendor area be in rent-a-tents, placed in the front of the Festival Grounds. There are other large fields nearby for overflow camping/vending... plus tons of commercial campgrounds.

There are several areas with large parking lots right nearby (Ghost Town, the Dance Barn, etc.) for rider training, registration, etc.

The Eaglenest is probably the best bet for closing ceremonies, however, it might be a tight fit at 800 seats. There is a nice outdoor amphitheater right out back. this whole area could be the beer garden/entertainment/closing ceremonies center, and it is within walking (or crawling) distance from the tent camping area.

Like I said in my OP, a rally in Maggie Valley would not be exactly like the rallies we currently stage, but I bet that our members would really enjoy the venue and city fathers would welcome a *quiet* motorcycle event.

ian

There is one large building ( large enough to pull tractor trailers in ) at the NC Ag grounds that is AC and the "open building" you mentioned is being enclosed right now and will also have AC.
When I participated in the HD rally a few years ago at the Maggie Valley fairgrounds they had about 2 dozen smaller vendors like myself and at night they had about 3K in attendance for a concert. I can tell you first hand that place was close to capacity and no one except for myself and a few other vendors camp there. If those 3K had tents the place would have been jammed.
I'm simply no fan of shuttling people around, they have done that at a few of the events that I attend like Daytona Speedway for bike week and most simply do not take it.
I'm not that familiar with some of the other area's you mentioned but since the national is held in the middle of summer I would doubt that Ghost Town would be very willing to give up any parking area in prime tourist season and the other area you described for closing ceremonies and the beer garden simply are not close to being big enough.
I love Maggie Valley and it is indeed a beautiful location with great ridding through out the area. It would be a great location for an RA rally but I really do think they do not have nearly the adequate facilities to host a MOA national.

I love Maggie Valley and it is indeed a beautiful location with great ridding through out the area. It would be a great location for an RA rally but I really do think they do not have nearly the adequate facilities to host a MOA national.

Here is a map.

Ghost Town is closed.... out of business (it was poorly financed). arrangements for use of parking lot might be possible, it might be that this place isn't even needed.

Concerts would not be in the camping area, one would have to walk a few hundred yards to Eaglesnest... it would do us good! if ya don't want to take the shuttle, walk or ride your bike.

Eaglesnest is an 18 acre facility with an outdoor stage and a huge parking lot, in addition to the indoor arena. if that isn't big enough, i'd be amazed.

like i've said from the beginning, this event wouldn't be the same as what we've been staging. people might mingle in the camping areas and in the community areas of their hotels... (there are tons of inexpensive mom/pop-style park-outside-your-door motels). you might have to park that big-a$$ed motorhome of yours in one of the nearby commercial campgrounds. :ha

ian

ps => i will go revisit the Ag Center. Crap, i rode past there not two weekends ago. Surprising that my AVL CVB contact hadn't mentioned these facility improvements.

Here is a map.

. you might have to park that big-a$$ed motorhome of yours in one of the nearby commercial campgrounds. :ha

At least I would have lots of company with the other 5-7K people that wouldn't fit into the fairgrounds;)
By the way as of this past year no one is now allowed to camp there as per some of my friends who did the HD show this past spring.
I think a good way to sample Maggie Valley might be with a MOA fall regional event. Seems there's lots of interest in a fall event and I couldn't think of a better location in the SE to do it. Outside of something like that I just don't see it working.

I think a good way to sample Maggie Valley might be with a MOA fall regional event. Seems there's lots of interest in a fall event and I couldn't think of a better location in the SE to do it..

I think we have qualified good idea there!:idea
It could be a very well-attended regional event in the Spring or Fall.

I've always thought this place would make an awesome rally site - sure cannot beat the riding and history of the area...

<iframe width="640" height="480" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=37.77794,-80.464511&spn=0.016282,0.027466&z=15&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=37.77794,-80.464511&spn=0.016282,0.027466&z=15&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Has tons of space for camping, over 40,000 indoor square feet for vendors, is centrally located for east coast/midwest riders and right next to a highway for easy access, tons of inexpensive motels nearby, and is smack-dab in the middle of some of the best riding on the east coast. Matter of fact, it sits on Rt. 219 (which originally was an Elk and Buffalo migration trail from waaaaaay back when), an excellent riding road from Colonial days that winds its way north all the way to Buffalo. Here is what one writer had to say about it:
It is probably one of the four or five single most beautiful stretches of road in North America: the drive up US 219 in West Virginia's Monongahela National Forest area.

And yeas, I would probably fight the urge to stay at the Greenbrier (5 miles away) and camp ;-)

Last edited:
I think we have qualified good idea there!:idea
It could be a very well-attended regional event in the Spring or Fall.

maybe the hotels there will be cheap enough. most likely we could find something in our price range.

i found a stellar place for a regional event in the N. GA mountains, pencilled in a weekend in the height of fall color, and arranged with the very nice adjoining campground for some blocks of spaces..... but the whole package was judged too expensive.

I've always thought this place would make an awesome rally site - sure cannot beat the riding and history of the area...

<iframe width="640" height="480" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=37.77794,-80.464511&spn=0.016282,0.027466&z=15&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=37.77794,-80.464511&spn=0.016282,0.027466&z=15&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

that looks excellent at first blush. the riding is awesome.

I just called and the State Fair isn't until August so it is usually available :) I would happily volunteer to go do a site check!

that looks excellent at first blush. the riding is awesome.

It is indeed, hit the "Ter" button and zoom out for a good idea - you cannot throw a rock without hitting a great road, and the area is simply steeped in history, from the days when it was the frontier through the French and Indian War, the Revolutionary War, the Civil War (or "War between the States" LoL), the Coal Wars, the oppulence of Bramwell and the sulphur springs era, and on. Then there are things like the amazing fly fishing, tubing on the New River, hiking, etc.

The site itself is walking distance to a major hospital, a mall, and a downtown filled with shops and restaurants. And the best part - St. Louis, Chicago, Atlanta, and Boston are all within a long day's ride.

Last edited:
I just called and the State Fair isn't until August so it is usually available :) I would happily volunteer to go do a site check!

It is indeed - you cannot throw a rock without hitting a great road, and the area is simply steeped in history, from the days when it was the frontier through the French and Indian War, the Revolutionary War, the Civil War (or "War between the States" LoL), the Coal Wars, the oppulence of Bramwell and the sulphur springs era, and on. Then there are things like the amazing fly fishing, tubing on the New River, hiking, etc.

The site itself is walking distance to a major hospital, a mall, and a downtown filled with shops and restaurants. And the best part - St. Louis, Chicago, Atlanta, and Boston are all within a long day's ride.

Any place that can hold a state fair can easily handle our national. This does indeed look like a promising location.

One of the great things about West Virginia is that its history is not plowed under by big box stores and shopping malls. Many years ago I came across the once internationally renowned Sweet Springs Resort. It was first developed in the 1700's and played host to the wealthy and powerful of the opulent Golden Era (including 6 Presidents and Queen Victoria...) I stumbled across it a decade or more ago, saddened by its decline and abandonment. I am very happy to say that I just stumbled across an article discussing its restoration with involvement of the National Historic Trust.

Were the rally to be in Lewisburg this (and the ever-amazing Rt. 311 it sits upon) would be a great destination.

<iframe width="640" height="480" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Sweet+Springs,+WV&sll=38.824047,-77.063022&sspn=0.011602,0.022681&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Sweet+Springs,+Eastern,+Monroe,+West+Virginia&t=p&ll=37.628372,-80.241394&spn=0.130515,0.219727&z=12&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=Sweet+Springs,+WV&sll=38.824047,-77.063022&sspn=0.011602,0.022681&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Sweet+Springs,+Eastern,+Monroe,+West+Virginia&t=p&ll=37.628372,-80.241394&spn=0.130515,0.219727&z=12" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Back