• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

camera questions

On a non rangefinder camera, I picked up a Delkin stick on shade for the lcd screen at Wallyworld. It only cost a few bucks and greatly helps seeing the screen in sunlight and folds almost flat on the camera when not in use.

I've bought a few digicams over the years for home and work. Steve's Digicams and DP Review are great resources, if a little too detailed. For a $100-200 camera I would check the reviews at Amazon or Newegg.

The last camera I bought for work was a Canon SD1300. It has a proprietary Li-Ion battery. We have an extra battery so that one is always charged. It also has image stabilization. This is worth its weight in gold in low light situations.

The last camera I bought for myself is a Panasonic Lumix. I picked it up on clearance at WalMart during the West Bend rally. The Canon PowerShot I brought to the rally crapped out (again). So I went looking for a cheap camera. At $100 for the camera, batteries and two SD cards, I was set. Some times cheap is good.

The camera I'm using the most now is in my iPhone 4. It does a decent job for snap shots. Plus I can email pix right from it. Any current smartphone can do this.

I have had very good results with my Canon SD cameras. I have an SD770 now...not sure what the latest number is.
I wear my camera on a tether around my neck and shoot left handed all day long, with good results.
If you are shopping in person for the camera, handle it with your left hand. Can you easily turn it on? I rely on the retracting lens to tell me if the camera has turned on/off. For this reason my waterproof Canon D-10 is not a good choice when riding, it is to bulky for one hand.

Here is a rare left rear view shot...you need cruise control for this one..

5134380718_e1f02d73f0_b.jpg
And I used to worry about people in cars with cell phones...

I'm sold on the Panasonic DMC-ZS7! Comes in RED :wow
And has the most amazing zoom and picture quality.

AND, when I had a problem they gave me this new model to replace my DMC-ZS3!

No hassle at all!

Voni
sMiling
+1
While all the compact point and shoot cameras from the major brands are all neck and neck in terms of quality and features, the Panasonic Lumix series has a larger Lieca lens for high quality photos. The Panasonic ZS7 adds a GPS which can help when using a program such as iPhoto which can show all the locations of the photos.

As far as the original question: Fits easily in the pocket, easy to work controls, and takes high def 720p movies.

Random comments as to cameras:
1. I have a Olympus Camedia C-50 that takes every bit as good of pictures as my newer tiny Nikon Coolpix-that said the older camera is same size ,twice as thick.FWIW, both camers will fit in the same pockets on any clothing I wear.The old camera would bring $5 on ebay, the newer ones are far more$$$!
2. If you depend on reading glasses the newer cameras with so called "larger screens" and no view finder are sort of useless! There are hardly any view finder compacts on the market.Most require the move up to a "better camera".The comment as to what "the camera sees"-you need to learn whats in the picture after you snap-thats easy with a digital!
3. This past summer I took a picture of Denali (in fullshow!) while standing beside a Swiss guy with a very expensive large format camera-I'm talking it being a several K camera! and asked him to email me his photo, thinking whay not have a really good one when the mtn is showing so well. He did, and I defy you to tell them apart.
4. Look for deals online(ebay) from sources like Murphy Camera that sell stuff with a warranty you can take to the bank and for much less than MSRP or Best Buy retail stores. Wally world also sells out the older models cheap.Some are camera store display or simply last years model.
5. I have read comments from (I know some camera freak will shoot this one down) experts to disregard the pixel race and go for the features you really need. An example of features that really matter: Bikes go fast and don't like shutter lag-for me the frustration with shutter lag(having used-lugged around- a very good 35mm for years)is in trying to capture a grandchilds facial expresion,etc., with my Coolpix and its lag time! Can be impossible if not frustrating.
6. Before I'd get confused on camera choice, I'd buy a cheapie on ebay that seems to fill the bill and if you don't like it,relist it and try another.:thumb

I went to Best Buy yesterday & felt & smelt a few cameras... I really dig that Panasonic Lumix ZS7, well, they had the ZS5 for the same price online retailers are selling the 7 for, but the FEEL of that model was great. Image stabilization worked great at low light in the store. The Canons & picked up fared OK, the SX130 seemed to shake more & the buttons were not as easy to find/use. The Canon S30 or something was nice, but too big for a pocket...

I'm usually a Canon guy for my cameras, but I think I'm going with the Panasonic this time...

We're Lumix fans in our family, and I have been borrowing my wife's ZS5 for touring.

I like to carry it in one of my suit chest pockets, and found it just a tad heavy, so I got the "baby brother" model, a ZR1, which weighs just 4.8 ounces.

zr1r_front_540x347.jpg

The ZR1 also fits in a Lowepro camera case, which the ZS5 won't.

And yes, Voni, I got a red one.

This is one of the pics I took on my first trip with it (re-post):

1030715196_w3r6Y-L.jpg

and i used to worry about people in cars with cell phones...

Ha Ha!

yeah, I've tried it a few times and found it very uncomfortable and distacting.
guess I'm a stop and smell the roses type. :lol

RM

The Panasonic Lumixs, in general, have what photographers call "wide" lenses - making them especially well suited for scenery shots. You get more in your frame, which for motorcycle touring is more useful than big telephoto power.

Last edited:
The ZS5 is very close to the ZS7 only without the gps, however there is also an oddball ZS6. The ZS6 is made exclusively for Costco and sells for about $30 less than the ZS7 and is supposedly identical to the ZS7 only again without the gps feature.

Back