• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

camera questions

ultracyclist

I am placing this in "Gear" because this thread is not posting pictures.
If the mod wants to move it, be my guest.

I am looking for a high quality point and shoot digital camera that is SIMPLE. I will use it for family events, shooting from motorcycles and boats.

Is there a small unit that is still "glove" friendly?

What do you use? How do you like it? What is on your wish list?
Best,
Howard

Every week, it seems like there are 35 new models from each company. My current favorites are from Canon and Sony, but it's really difficult to go wrong with any p&s.

I use a canon SX120 IS. 10x zoom and 10MP.
Does everything I want for about $200.00 street price.

The buttons are large enough for gloves and the size is about a deck of cards + 1/2" for the lense.

Besides several dslr cameras, I use a 3 yr old Canon A560 (7.2 megapixel sd cards). It has easy features and can be "glove friendly". The size is perfect for a pocket or tank bag.
One thing to consider is what tybe of batteries does a camera use. Tha A560 and probably Canon's more current models use AA batteries available anywhere.
Whatever you get take lots of pics!!!

One thing to consider is what tybe of batteries does a camera use.

I hear this sentiment a lot and probably even said the same thing myself in the distant path. But then I looked at my actual camera battery use. Not once have I ever purchased batteries for a camera on the road (and some of my camera's still use AA batteries). The Li-ION batteries that are in my non AA battery cameras are good for 300~800 pictures. At the rate I shoot I'm guaranteed to be in a place where I can recharge batteries at least once before I run out of juice.

If I were going to be away for months I might consider a spare battery. I had one for my last camera... and never used it. :doh

Maybe I just don't take enough pictures. :dunno

Here's a great photography website to help you pick your way through this...

You can compare makes and models based on price, manufacturer, features, etc. It helped me out quite a bit.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs.asp

BETTERMENT THROUGH BADGERMENT ... love it!

Reminds me of the poster on the wall at work; Notice! The beatings will cease, when morale improves!

Glove Friendly Point & Shoot Camera

From my experience it does not matter if the camera is glove friendly unless the camera can be used in daylight. The challenge is to deal with the distortion that comes from some versions of sunglasses or helmet sunscreens. This is less of a problem with polarized glasses but does not eliminate all ills of this style of camera.

I have found several Canon P & S glove friendly cameras that also have viewfinders. You have to do a search for models with a viewfinder. they still make or you can get on Amazon or related out of production models with viewfinders.

I wear glasses and the glare or washout from taking photos in the sunlight means the majority of the latest P & S camera models out there are unsuitable for me.

If you have the opportunity go to a full service camera store ask for their recommendations then take a sample outside in the full sun and see if you experience any problems with seeing in the rear screen what you are attempting to photograph.

Small, light, convenient and glove friendly might all be for naught if when you go to use it if the screen is too difficult to see so you can properly frame your photo.

From my experience it does not matter if the camera is glove friendly unless the camera can be used in daylight.

Ahhh, but with a real point and shoot you do just that. Point and shoot. No looking.

I do that with an old Canon A610. When riding down the road I can get the camera out of my tank bag with my left hand (the camera is tethered to the bag), turn it on, point, and shoot. At no time do I look through the viewfinder. The LCD is blocked by the back of my left hand. Doesn't stop me from getting on-the-go shots.

If I'm stopped the DSLR comes out.

My wife had a nice point & shoot that was stolen. It was a Canon & had a lot of optical magnification & a viewfinder. Now, I'm finding most of them without viewfinders at the higher end of the Canon line... I am borrowing a very nice Sony, but hate it. Hate how it works, hate how it has a special card & hate how it doesn't have a USB port... I'll check out the one mentioned above...

For the tankbag I like a camera that is easy to use, takes good photos, and is relatively inexpensive. For several years I used a Canon A620 (based on photos put on a Ride Report by Flying Avanti on ADV - he and his wive were touring South America on an airhead GS).
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94531

In the last year my A620 has failed a few times and been sent to Canon for repair - once paid for and once under warranty after repair. I don't use this camera too much any longer.

More recently I've gotten a couple of new cameras. Last summer I got a Panasonic DMC-TZ5 for my wife - that is a very nice camera, but has been discontinued. A similar model is the Panasonic DMC-ZS5.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ic_DMC_ZS5K_LUMIX_DMC_ZS5_Digital_Camera.html

Another nice P&S camera that was relatively inexpensive is the Nikon L22.
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0329864

For P&S cameras I also like to be able to take video clips at resolutions of 640 (or 720) x 480 - this is DVD resolution. I like to use AA batteries, but many cameras have lithium batteries that have very long usage periods - the biggest problem is forgetting where the charger has been placed.

One thing that I've found - good pictures are not usually the result of the camera; rather they are the product of the photographer (and it really helps to take a LOT of photos!!!).

Olympus 770SW ...

or whatever's replaced it.

Great tankbag P&S. Waterproof to 33ft. Shockproof and built take a 5 foot drop.

I have had very good results with my Canon SD cameras. I have an SD770 now...not sure what the latest number is.
I wear my camera on a tether around my neck and shoot left handed all day long, with good results.
If you are shopping in person for the camera, handle it with your left hand. Can you easily turn it on? I rely on the retracting lens to tell me if the camera has turned on/off. For this reason my waterproof Canon D-10 is not a good choice when riding, it is to bulky for one hand.

Here is a rare left rear view shot...you need cruise control for this one..

5134380718_e1f02d73f0_b.jpg

...More recently I've gotten a couple of new cameras. Last summer I got a Panasonic DMC-TZ5 for my wife - that is a very nice camera, but has been discontinued. A similar model is the Panasonic DMC-ZS5.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ic_DMC_ZS5K_LUMIX_DMC_ZS5_Digital_Camera.html

Another nice P&S camera that was relatively inexpensive is the Nikon L22.
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0329864...

I'm a long time Nikon user for work with an SLR, but have found the Panasonic P&S cameras to produce outstanding quality pictures. Small enough to hang around your neck, too, whether you take pictures while riding or walking around a rally.

The potential downside of a camera with retractable lens is if you bike mount it. The bugs WILL jam the lens mechanism. Not being content after jamming my A-470, I did the same thing with a Canon G10. :banghead

5147979961_bce902b55f_z.jpg

Then I bought the D10, which has a bug-ready design.

I'm a long time Nikon user for work with an SLR, but have found the Panasonic P&S cameras to produce outstanding quality pictures. Small enough to hang around your neck, too, whether you take pictures while riding or walking around a rally.

I'm sold on the Panasonic DMC-ZS7! Comes in RED :wow
And has the most amazing zoom and picture quality.

AND, when I had a problem they gave me this new model to replace my DMC-ZS3!

No hassle at all!

Voni
sMiling

From my experience it does not matter if the camera is glove friendly unless the camera can be used in daylight. The challenge is to deal with the distortion that comes from some versions of sunglasses or helmet sunscreens. This is less of a problem with polarized glasses but does not eliminate all ills of this style of camera.

I have found several Canon P & S glove friendly cameras that also have viewfinders. You have to do a search for models with a viewfinder. they still make or you can get on Amazon or related out of production models with viewfinders.
BIG +1 on this. I've been using Canon Elph's for quite a few years because it has an optical viewfinder. My current 100 is starting to crap out (strange discolorations..) and to my dismay, at least some of the new Elphs have sacrificed the optical viewfinder for an ever larger (and often not useable) LCD display.

I did a lot of searching last night & there are a dizzying array of choices, just looking at Canon! Sometimes, I wonder if the picture quality & stabilization are all similar, with the differences being features. Found the G11, SD950IS, SD990IS with viewfinder & the SX130 IS without...

I'm cornfused!

John.

Thoughts not so far expressed here:

1. Most of the Panasonic Lumix PnS's have a slider-type on/off switch rather than a button - this is a very glove friendly feature. I'm not aware of any other brands that have these slider switches.

2. The optical view finders, when you can still find them, don't generally show the full photo frame - so what you see is not what you get.

3. Even though the LCD's are very difficult to see in bright daylight, they show enough to allow "rough" framing based only on whatever elements do remain visible. So, I find that an optical viewfinder, therefore, is not really necessary.

4. It's not difficult, after a little practice, to shoot while with your gloved left hand while riding. You will need to be able to operate your on/off switch and compose your shot without even seeing the LCD (not as difficult as it may seem). The camera should be tethered somehow to you or the bike. This doesn't mean you can't occasionally stop and compose some shots more thoughtfully - but sometimes stopping is not really possible.

5. Nowadays, all cameras come with some kind of photo editing software. Or you already have it on your computer. This is why you can set your camera to "automatic" and only approximate your framing - "post processing" is the motorcyclist's friend!

6. Batteries: I like the AA-powered cameras, but camera-specific batteries do allow improved camera performance and more compact bodies.

Last edited:
If you are shopping in person for the camera, handle it with your left hand. Can you easily turn it on? I rely on the retracting lens to tell me if the camera has turned on/off.

:nod

And check the location of a mode dial if the camera has one. My biggest complaint with my P&S is that the mode dial can be bumped in normal handling which means I have to actually glance at the camera to see it is still set up the way I want. If I don't glance I may find that I took a video of whatever the camera was pointing at while dangling from its tether. :banghead

Back