• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Riding season in southwest

85k100lt

Cave Creek AZ
Ok the good riding weather in AZ is here :drink

All you notherns are getting to winter break.

SO I just did a MPG check on my 74 R75/6 32MPG is this about average for the old Airheads???

This is around town and highway combined. :lurk

Thanks for any other MPG specs.

Ok the good riding weather in AZ is here :drink

All you notherns are getting to winter break.

SO I just did a MPG check on my 74 R75/6 32MPG is this about average for the old Airheads???

This is around town and highway combined. :lurk

Thanks for any other MPG specs.

It's about average for mine. Since my R1200 gets 40-50, I thought that my R80 had a fuel leak or some other problem. As far as I can tell, the mileage is just lousy.

BTW, you do realize that you just invited us all to hang out at your house for the winter...

32 mpg seems low to me. should be closer to 40 unless you're just working the throttle hard all the time. That's what I get on my 74 R75 and, for that matter, close to what I get on my R100GS.

I should mention that I live in a place with lots of lights and traffic. I would not be surprised to see better mileage on longer hauls.

My experience back this up.

I should mention that I live in a place with lots of lights and traffic. I would not be surprised to see better mileage on longer hauls.

City traffic really kills the mileage on these machines. My riding is a mix between city riding, often with heavy traffic and long stretches on the open road. My R76/6 gets much, much better mileage when I'm out of town,

--Justin

My R80 ST only gets 33 mpg for pure city driving, 38 mpg for the mixed driving on my commute, and 47 mpg on freeway trips when I hold the speed under 70 mph. If I go more than 80 mph the mileage drops to about 35 mpg. The mileage doesn't seem all that good compared to Cycle World's road test of the bike in 1983 where they averaged 50 mpg.

I think it has more to do with the simple fact that these ponies are gettin' kinda gray.

The amazing thing to me is that they can still gallop - in a herd! :thumb I know this to be a fact since I heard about 30 of'em click clackin' together at Redmond. What a sound... :hug

Attachments

• btu.jpg
    btu.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 36
Back