• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Final Drive issues

Tooth

I was looking at the final drive failure data......
I am a noob...what would explain the final drive failures on the 1200LTs? Seems as though they might dominate the drive grave yard.
Two up riding, extra weight, continuous speed driving?????
What is the BMW line on this.....? what say yee LT riders?

Think this issue is getting covered well enough on previous thread.......sorry about being redundant

One possible problem area is Dunlop tires sized for the K1200LT seem to have
a bit of swingarm interference in their fit. When I bought the bike used (92,000 km) this was noted, as well as this year when Metzlers couldn't be found when it came time to replace the tires, and I was forced to go with Dunlop again.

One possible problem area is Dunlop tires sized for the K1200LT seem to have
a bit of swingarm interference in their fit. When I bought the bike used (92,000 km) this was noted, as well as this year when Metzlers couldn't be found when it came time to replace the tires, and I was forced to go with Dunlop again.
There is a shim ring available that goes between the wheel and the hub to space the wheel a hair to the left, often (but not always) curing the Dunlop clearance problem.

Where is this shim ring available? Is it dealer or aftermarket? It probably wouldn't take much as the interference appears more as a slight polishing of the right side of the tire at the edge of the tread, showing up after some harder riding, rather than as a real hard rub. It sounds like that might be just the answer for what I have run into.

Where is this shim ring available? Is it dealer or aftermarket? It probably wouldn't take much as the interference appears more as a slight polishing of the right side of the tire at the edge of the tread, showing up after some harder riding, rather than as a real hard rub. It sounds like that might be just the answer for what I have run into.
It's shown in the MaxBMW fiche here: http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51717&rnd=03192010
part # 36311451791 SHIM - 2,000MM [2.0 millimeter] $6.71

Back