Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pretty flippin' slow here, eh?

2-up and havin' fun sugarhillctd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Acejones View Post
    Get an oilhead or a brick; then you'll have someone to talk to.
    Been there- my current Connie replaced a '93 K1100RS. That was like being at the opposite side of the story- had to be on forums too much for repair info.

I wanted a bike that I did NOT have to be wrenching on. Went to the Concours since a UJM is just gas and go. period. and the dealer is 15 minutes away.
    But after one season, the ergos are too upright for me.

Nearest BMW dealer is 2+ hours away (Max- N.H.) but the K1300S seems to be what I should have bought instead of the Kaw. We'll see....
    John & Cathy
    '92 K100RS (gone- '04 R1100S Boxer Cup)
    '12 Suzuki DRZ400
    ("kid's" bikes) '02 Kaw ZX6R- Jen's '07 Duc 800ss- Johnnie's

Fort Collins, Colorado and Cheyenne, Wyoming

Should I buy a wedge?

OK I will jump in just to liven this up... I've been riding an R1150GS (02) for a while, love the bike from most angles but wonder about the advantages of a K1200GT that is for sale (2007). The GT has lots of bells and whistles and I'd like a more comfortable ride for long distance touring on 2 lane roads, to rallies, to see the country, ride, ride, ride. Not IB style but all that power could really getcha somewhere. I can do that, of course on my GS, a bike that I just love. I know, I know, why do people ask such ridiculous questions. Just looking for the likes of those that ride a K1200GT.

Fire away.

2002 R1150GS
    MOA #104910, Twisted Shaft Motorcycle Club #241

Thumbs up Should I Buy A Wedge?

I'll jump in on that one. I lusted/longed for the 1200GT wedge. I had my 85K100RT for 20 years at that point and loved it.
    Once I tried an 07 GT my mind was made up. Just like it was made up when I tried the K100RT back in 85.
    I kept both bikes, but the 85 was being ignored so I sold it.
    I just love the GT even though I've had those clutch teething problems.
    It fits me (I'm 6'1" & 180 lbs) and is comfortable and has all options save traction control.
    I still take it to the track, work, store and tour and it does it all well.
    If the bike fits you and your bank account ... go for it because nothing corrupts like power and it has plenty of that!
    Marty
    2007 K1200GT
    1985 K100RT bought new, sold 2009

2-up and havin' fun sugarhillctd's Avatar
    UH, never mind........

I, um, er..... bought another brick.

My very understanding wife is holding off having me committed but she still reserves the right to have me locked away.

You can read the grizzly details in my other post here on the wedge forum.

John
    John & Cathy
    '92 K100RS (gone- '04 R1100S Boxer Cup)
    '12 Suzuki DRZ400
    ("kid's" bikes) '02 Kaw ZX6R- Jen's '07 Duc 800ss- Johnnie's

Talking An Explanation??

Possible explanations
    1) Owners of newer K bikes only ride in the summer. I'm going to refrain from speculating why.
    2) Newer K bike owners all live where there's snow and ice and only shop for parts or work on bikes in the summer.
    3) Other ????

I ride an RT- the real year round BMW with the possible exception of the GS..

"Fishin' when not riding"

3) we/they are riding...don't consider our S's an exclusive warm weather machine at all as I sold my RT to get one ...also have the all season GS

I figured I was still too young to own a RT Sedan
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

There are a couple of other sites I frequent to get information on myy GT and they are generally a little busier than this forum. They may have been mentioned already but in case they weren't look at

i-bmw.com
    http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/cmps_index.php

I think the slowness on the Wedge bike forums relative to other bikes forums is merely a function of the number sold.

On the Road

get out o here

I have been on a couple of site over the past ten years. This site is an Airhead site. If you want K bike stuff move to I-BMW. I hate saying this but it is true.

Quote Originally Posted by BEECHER View Post
    I have been on a couple of site over the past ten years. This site is an Airhead site. If you want K bike stuff move to I-BMW. I hate saying this but it is true.
    Haven't found that to be my experience ...but for more K specific stuff I do go over to to I-BMW...and a lot more "opinions" as well
    Steve Henson
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Smile Should I buy a wedge bike?

I have an 07 K1200GT and love it. The best compliment I ever had was when Andrew at Bushtec took it for test ride with the new trailer, upon return he asked how many tickets do you get with that bike. I laughed, yes it has a nice power range that keeps going and going as you rev it out. Prior to getting Bushtec involved in creating a hitch for the K1200GT, I waffled on trading it for a R1200RT but just couldn't do it, I'm spoiled too much with the K bike.

I just recently purchased a 2011 R1200GS for my gf to ride (traded up from a F650GS twin, it was to buzzy on the highway). The 2011 R1200GS is also a fun bike, the power to weight ration isn't that far off the K1200GT. Its not as smooth, but I had it out on Jan 3rd (salt got washed off the roads with the weekend rains) and I had a blast.

I can never get rid of the K1200GT, but the R1200GS for the money is probably almost as good for the type of touring/riding we do. Before my gf started riding her own bike, we did a lot of two up riding, the K1200GT is a really nice two up touring bike.

Honestly, I'm not sure why i need the K1600GT.. ok, I get 6 more hp and some more torque. It is also heavier and I can't imagine the price tag will be anywhere close to what I paid for the 07 K1200GT. I've seen some used K1200GT's that I thought about buying because I think its going to be a hard bike to find someday. My only complaint, BMW can't make a smooth transmission if their lives depended on it!!! Why does it have to CLUNK into gear?

your 07 GT is a wedge...the new 1600 will be a variation of the wedge design, just two more cylinders.
    Our K12S's clunk into first pretty hard..but shift way smoother than any of the boxers we have.
    Steve Henson

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    your 07 GT is a wedge...the new 1600 will be a variation of the wedge design, just two more cylinders.
    Our K12S's clunk into first pretty hard..but shift way smoother than any of the boxers we have.
    Steve - you should see how the boxers shift, but to the topic of the newer KGT's shifting - they are very nice
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator